What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (2 Viewers)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Any fellow Van Damme fans out there?
CMMhfw.png

dOMx9i.png

OjJ1L1.png

oZJsxx.png

jOZrtr.png

USTY9H.png

Mmdvl3.png

tn8zm5.png

cl0haW.png

0te2bw.png

0zfg76.png

VClp6n.png

2soSBW.png

I've been meaning to do a set for the Van Damme films for a few years, and it proved to be quite an undertaking. The man has done a whopping 48 feature films, not counting every cameo and voice work etc. I never knew there were so many until I started picking the Blus from my shelves and piled them up. They are presented here in release date order (to the best of my knowledge).

I started with his post-Legionnaire (1988) films because I was very curious to see what artwork would be available for his second tier output. As it turns out, the latter era was the most fun to work on, as there were so many different pieces of art used for the world wide releases of his direct-to-video films. It was a fun journey of discovery on Google, and more often than not I was spoilt for choice. Not so with his older, cinematic output. I found the choices to be far more limiting there. Even if there were alternatives available, sometimes a particular poster was so closely associated with a film (at least to me), that I went with the obvious choice (see Cyborg, Lionheart, TimeCop, The Bouncer). While I took major liberties with many of the posters, often combining several different pieces of artwork or changing things around, I never invented something out of whole cloth. Every piece of artwork has a basis in artwork used for the films in one country or another.

As I've been doing lately, I left the specifics of extras and audio/video specs intentionally vague so people can pair these with whichever edition they may have. As far as I know, The Shepherd doesn't have a Blu release anywhere in the world, but I included it here anyway.

PM me for links if you want them.

Some notes:
Hard Target. Iconic poster, but I couldn't help myself from "elaborating" a bit with sparks and streaks. The regular blue background
was clashing with the rest of the cover, so I needed to tone it down anyway.

For Expendables 2, the choice to feature Van Damme front-and-center, and relegate the others to small credits, was more than a little tongue-in-cheek :) I generally tried to represent Van Dammes contribution honestly, which is why he is relatively modestly featured on the Dragon Eyes and UFO covers.

In Hell. That exploding car is nowhere to be found in the movie, but it was featured on one of the international posters and livened up the artwork a bit, so I left it in.

In the case of JCVD I found a discarded mock up from the advertising agency working on the film's publicity. I had to recreate it from a still from the film, but it was a lot of fun to do.

No Retreat No Surrender. I eschewed painted art and was left with very few alternatives. I wound up recreating a German poster for that one, but with major tweaks.

Kill 'em All. I'm not sure what the origin of that poster is, but it seems to be a fan made submission to a competition on Van Damme's Facebook page. I liked it a lot, rebuilt it from scratch in higher quality and pimped it with a new background.

On The Quest, I made a point of giving Roger Moore over-the-title billing, which he was promised but never received
One of the World's Worst actors.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I can see $5.00 for a cover. But $20.00 ? That's over priced.

If you think the time of another to create a cover specifically to your specifications is only worth $5.00, and they disagree then feel free to make it yourself. I can tell you, if I had the talent to make covers, you'd never get a free one from me, not after this little revelation. And if you think going public with this is going to be followed up with agreement by many (if any), I think you are sadly mistaken.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But let's end that discussion here as it is off-topic. Any further communications on this should be taken off the public forum.

What I wrote above seemed clear to me. But apparently it wasn't for everyone else.

Let me try again to be clear. This thread is for the posting/sharing of alternate cover art. It is NOT for debating about these other issues. It is not about posting about other members. And it is not about posting opinions to argue over whether Jean Claude Van Damme is a good/bad actor. All such discussions SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE PUBLIC FORUM!

One thread ban has been issued. If others want test the waters, give it a shot.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
With the consent of the mods, I would like to clarify the following:

When I say to PM me for download links of my covers, these are completely free. Always have been, always will be. Having a platform to display and share my covers is one of the main motivations behind spending hours doing this. I share all my work gladly.
It is only when someone asks me to sit down and make a cover to their specifications, that I ask for a compensation for my time.

Thanks to all who supported me, and In hope this clears up any misconceptions about the premise under which I work. I ask that we all refrain from any further discussion about this.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I was recently asked by a friend to make a custom BD-DVD Combo cover for The Heroes of Telemark so he could keep the extras-laden UK DVD and the Sony Blu in the same case. Being a Norwegian myself, how could I refuse :)

While I am not at liberty to share that particular cover, I made a different Blu-only cover that I am happy to share.

While my friend opted for the U.S. one sheet, I went with the U.K. artwork for my version. I find the stark, simple tones of this poster more exciting. Alas, it was hard to carry the same style over to the back, so there is a small disconnect between the front and rear, something I'm usually very particular about. All I could do was carry over some of the blue and red colours to boxes and text. It'll have to do. (And you have no idea the restraint it took not to put a Norwegian flag in there somewhere!!!!)

memBb8.png

PM me for download link if you're interested.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Fritz -- I'm just catching up in this thread after somehow not reading it for a few months, and I'm once again amazed at the beauty and excellence of your work.

As a follow-on to the above conversation -- you made a couple of custom covers for me several years ago, and I think I said then that you may share them, but if I didn't, I'm saying it now. Those were the 3-disc-case size for the Back to the Future trilogy and The Ten Commandments. I still love those, and do feel free to share if you still have them.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just picked up the Zone 'B' version of Appointment With Death (the final Peter Ustinov 'Hercule Poirot') film.

I owned the Studio Canal Zone 'B' versions of the other Agatha Christie films and I wanted to make a matching cover for this German release.

This matches the Australian versions (which I own). There are minor differences between these and the UK version (the ratings logo isn't as prominent, the branding is Vintage instead of Remastered).

AppointmentWithDeathHTF.JPG

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Custom inlays for the Predator series, replacing the UHD box and the standalone 4K release of The Predator.

Available by PM. Please specify 4K in your message.

HMuPff.png

v4t290.png

JdJHaw.png

VAx1yc.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
My cohesive set for the Terminator films on Blu-ray:
K1GfDw.png
R9ZN4Q.png
OJEgkB.png
VdRUEa.png
lMDIWB.png
cIksFx.png

PM me for download links.
I will be making these available as both Blu-ray and 4K sets, so please specify which format you want.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
My cohesive set for the Terminator films on Ultra HD / 4K:

The first and third film haven't been released in 4K yet, but one can hope :)
QhXAgK.png
HPx6ip.png
hab1e8.png
qezX71.png
eXoBf7.png
giCvtc.png

PM me for download links.
I will be making these available as both Blu-ray and 4K sets, so please specify which format you want.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For the new Mission Impossible Complete Series set, I decided to not use the flimsy (to be kind) packaging.

I've put each season into a 22mm 7-disc cases (the last three seasons have an empty hub).

MI-S1HTF.jpg
MI-S2HTF.jpg
MI-S3HTF.JPG
MI-S4HTF.jpg
MI-S5HTF.jpg
MI-S6HTF.jpg
MI-S7HTF.jpg

I've also done a 9-disc 'blu' case for the 88-89 DVDs

MI-SRHTF.jpg

Second version of the 88/89 copy with matching back

MI-SR2HTF.JPG

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
For the new Mission Impossible Complete Series set, I decided to not use the flimsy (to be kind) packaging.

I've put each season into a 22mm 7-disc cases (the last three seasons have an empty hub).

View attachment 83122
View attachment 83123
View attachment 83124
View attachment 83125
View attachment 83126
View attachment 83127
View attachment 83128

I've also done a 9-disc 'blu' case for the 88-89 DVDs

View attachment 83129

Job well done, that is creativity that Paramount wish they even remotely had in their art and home entertainment departments.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've just completed covers for my MGM Musicals (including faux-blu spines for those titles still on DVD)

MGM Collection.JPG

Technically, "The Harvey Girls" and "Good News" are on preorder right now, but will soon be on my shelf for real.
The only other MGM Musical I own is "The Barkleys Of Broadway", but that is in my Fred & Ginger set

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I read through the Monty Python season booklets when I got the set. I doubt I'll look at them again.

If I need to, they'll still be in the Box-Of-Junk original packaging. I'm not throwing it away. Just not using it on a normal basis.

If you don't foresee looking at the Viewing Notes booklets again, you should consider flogging them on eBay. The individual boxsets containing the booklets are now OOP in the UK, and some of the sets with the booklets (especially series 3) are starting to go for silly money on eBay).

If I hadn't panic-bought the complete boxset a month or so ago just to get the booklets, I'd have sent you a PM to see if you were entertaining offers on the Pixley booklets!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks