What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (3 Viewers)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Much of the work I do I don't display in this thread because it is either not available to share, or just modifications of existing covers.

I am often asked to use the existing foreign covers and anglificate them, as well as change from DVD to Blu-ray size. This is the sort of "unsung" efforts I spend a lot of time doing for clients.

Original French DVD and my Blu-ray conversion:
u9nz.png

1qp1.png

Original French Blus and my English versions:
23q8.png

hkxu.png

1wo.png

34rq.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Sometimes I'm asked to replicate specific covers for sentimental reasons. A client asked me to do these for Batman and Robocop, all of them based on the old UK VHS covers.

Recreating old designs can be both fun and challenging as I have to find or recreate old logos and branding that never existed digitally. With these covers the client wanted to emphasise sentimental value over both consistency and accuracy. While I recreated some of these VHSes exactly, he wanted some of the elements removed for a cleaner look.

As far as possible I try to get the exact same images for the photos on the backs, but for older films some of them plain don't exist on the 'net. That's when my extensive clipping files come in handy and I more often than not can find that particular image and scan it myself.

Often the main headache is that of obtaining good reference for the old VHS covers. If I can find a cover online, most of the time it is too small for the text to be legible. I spend a lot of time trying to decipher text from the miniscule images. Recreating the text also requires me to do some detective work on fonts, but most of the time the old pre-DTP covers were done in easily available fonts. I've had to resort to vaguely similar alternatives from time to time, but that's not for lack of trying. :)

I'm including the original VHS covers here for comparison.

swa0.png

jiog.jpg

cna9.png

vzt3.jpg

vbwe.png

dwum.jpg

m3p1.png

fxz8.jpg

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
David Weicker said:
Here is my 'translated' cover of the German Oliver! disc
attachicon.gif
Oliver Blu300.JPG
David
Here's a recent one I did for Oliver! (Sorry, not available to share at this time.)
The original Blu-ray cover was really atrocious. I am not hard to please when it comes to covers, but this was just "WTF were they thinking?" bad.

Mine:
m1gi.png

Theirs:
lpuq.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fritz Nilsen said:
Here's a recent one I did for Oliver! (Sorry, not available to share at this time.)The original Blu-ray cover was really atrocious. I am not hard to please when it comes to covers, but this was just "WTF were they thinking?" bad.
Fritz,I have to say, I like your version a whole lot better than the translated version I did.Its too bad that one isn't share-able.

David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
I have to say, I like your version a whole lot better than the translated version I did.Its too bad that one isn't share-able.
+100 Great job!

If that status ever changes, Fritz... :biggrin:

I'm not always into the necessity of having custom covers...but, while Italian is kinda interesting I could go English and major-league improved images all in one fell swoop. :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought you guys might be interested in my own humble attempt to update the cover of the release of the 1972 Liza With a Z TV special:

Mike Frezon said:
The Features

gallery_286742_24_45413.jpg
gallery_286742_24_20097.jpg

– Liza Minnelli (Liza With a World War Z – 1972/2013)

Sorry. Couldn't resist... :biggrin: Bob Fosse's influence continues to be felt...more than 40 years later!
That's my little joke from this week's Weekly RoundUp. I thought you guys might appreciate the similarity between the covers.

When I saw the design of the 3-D World War Z release, the Liza cover came immediately to mind. It seems so...obvious. It really makes me wonder if the designer of the cover of this week's release was influenced (subliminally or not) in any way by the iconic old Liza poster.

C'mon... Even the helicopter and zombies practically parallel the tilt of Liza's body. :biggrin:

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Now that WWZ is top of mind... does anyone have a cover that utilzes the above art (or the colour/blue sky version of same)? The "big brad" version on the regular 2D bluray is rather unappealing!

Cheers!

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Some recent work:
s4pw.png

Masters is of course a recreation of the UK VHS cover. I wash my hands of the wonky layout of the back :)

kgm2.png

The Halloween cover is meant for the Canadian Alliance three-pack. This is available to share. PM me for link.

And here's the final version of the Chucky Complete Collection:
fsfw.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Since we're in the Halloween mood... (Horror seems to bring out the custom cover urge in many fans.)
I made a conversion of the 35th anniversary digibook into a regular US cover for a client.
agh3.png

Also, I recently made an English cover for the Japanese Happinet Blu-ray of Night of the Living Dead.
d2kw.png

These were both made as commissions, but if there is interest I can enquire whether the client would like them shared or not.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
VHS-inspired custom Blu-ray covers for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 and 2 (no 3, sorry).
n9z2.png

eh1c.png

My client would like these shared with forum members, so I'll be taking PMs as usual.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
When I first posted this more than 6 months ago I promised "download options to follow shortly". Sorry about that folks, but we are now finally ready to announce these are available by PM.

In collaboration with fellow Turtle enthusiast EastX I am proud to present the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cover collection.
tmntcollectionpreview1.jpg

tmntcollectionpreview1b.jpg

tmntcollectionpreviewsi.jpg

tmntcollectionpreview3.jpg

tmntcollectionpreviewmu.jpg

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Fritz Nilsen said:
Also, I recently made an English cover for the Japanese Happinet Blu-ray of Night of the Living Dead.
d2kw.png

These were both made as commissions, but if there is interest I can enquire whether the client would like them shared or not.
Yes, Please! I picked this disc up recently and would love to have an English version of the cover.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Gregory Pauswinski said:
Yes, Please! I picked this disc up recently and would love to have an English version of the cover.
The client says okay to share. PM me for a hook-up.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I've been commissioned to do a full set of Hitchcock Collection covers for the recently released Blu-ray set. My client has generously said that he wants these shared. Once the set is finished I'll announce their availability for anyone interested.

Here are the first five, with two versions for Rear Window.
alor.png

996v.png

ewdh.png

dlz1.png

cjj1.png

b2t8.png

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh wow, these are great. Sure will be wanting them when they're available. I really like the first Rear Window, though I wish they hadn't labeled the windows. I know that was done for marketing purposes, but it mars the effect of the image. The blacked out window with the big X, what if they had just put the glow of a cigarette there?

Edit: Meant to ask why does Harry look like he has no head? He didn't lose his head in the movie, did he? Been ages since I've seen it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Those are awesome Fritz. And thanks to your client, I may have to buy some Blu-ray cases and learn the best way to print those instead of keeping them in their current packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks