What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (2 Viewers)

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
... and here are some custom Blu-ray covers I've made for a German client.
Yes, I provide an international service :)
Code of Silence, Lone Wolf McQuade, Missing in Action and The Octagon.

(insert appropriate Chuck Norris joke here)
Red Dawn:

Strangers on a train (Translated into German with the consent of the original client)
John Rambo (Yes, I know. The client picks the poster.):
The Terminator (The original German version I made before providing an English alternative):

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh man, how refreshing it is to see that Sound of Music.

All beautiful stuff, Fritz!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree about The Sound of Music. That cover based on the original poster art brought me right back to 1965 when I first saw the movie and the many, many hours I spent playing the soundtrack album.

Great work!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sound of Music. said:
. That cover based on the original poster art brought me right back to 1965 when I first saw the movie and the many, many hours I spent playing the soundtrack album.

Great work!
I was thinking the same thing. That Sound of Music cover is phenomenal.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragment. I appreciate it a lot.
Now that I have a vacation from Cover work I can relax and do.... some Cover work!
Obviously based on the artwork for the first two films that first appeared on the Japanese steelbooks. There wasn't a matching poster for the final film so I decided to make one. I generally don't do "minimalist" covers, so I guess this is as close as I'll ever get.

These are available over PMs.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Fritz Nilsen said:
Obviously based on the artwork for the first two films that first appeared on the Japanese steelbooks. There wasn't a matching poster for the final film so I decided to make one. I generally don't do "minimalist" covers, so I guess this is as close as I'll ever get.
Those look really sharp. I'd not seen the Japanese steelbooks before, but they really do have a very nice look to them.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here are two more Hitchcock titles. Eventually I'll get to sell off the ones from the Blu set that I don't want (if I can keep others in my family from taking the remainders). I've now made covers for 7 of the new 13.
And here is my own current collection of Hitch's. Now I'm just waiting on Young And Innocent and Foreign Correspondent to complete my list.
David

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Fritz Nilsen said:
Here are some recent commissions I've done.
Sound of Music:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172376/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Superman Restored International Cut (for CapedWonder.com):
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172377/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/172378/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Sorry, not available to share, but as always I figure people like to just look at what I do as much as I enjoy seeing others' work
THE SOUND OF MUSIC is beautiful. I don't understand why they have never used that original art for any home video release (although it was used on the inner sleeve of the big 1993 laserdisc box set). If I may ask, where did you grab the typeface for the spine? That looks familiar but I am not placing it. Great work.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by KPmusmag /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/360#post_4018703
If I may ask, where did you grab the typeface for the spine? That looks familiar but I am not placing it. Great work.

I had trouble adapting the title treatment from the poster so that it would look good on the spine. I ended up using the lettering on this image found on a general image search on Google.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Has anyone seen custom covers for any of the eight Blu-rays in the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection?

---------------

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ScottHM said:
Has anyone seen custom covers for any of the eight Blu-rays in the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/173108/width/200/height/400/flags/LL

---------------
I'm not sure if others have done any, but I put together a set (see post #304 - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/300#post_3986594)
Other people here may have done better versions. But mine are available via PM
David

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I was hoping someone would make covers to house all of Kino's individual Buster Keaton releases in a single box similar to the one they released at the end of last year. I didn't find any custom covers on the web and decided to try making my own covers. Granted they are amateurish (my photo editing skills are rudimentary at best) but they are no worse at least IMHO than the official ones from Kino. I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad given that this is my first attempt at making my own covers. Please note that I wasn't trying to make these look official by adding the bar code and credits and such.
cover1_3d_zpse75c2562.jpg
cover2_3d_zpsafe3d143.jpg
cover3_3d_zps8976f1cf.jpg
cover4_3d_zps1c97e86e.jpg
cover5_3d_zps161284d9.jpg
box_cover_3d_zps48948964.jpg
Also, if anyone has experience printing the outer box covers for multi-disc sets, I would appreciate hearing how you did it. Thanks, -D

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Deepak Shenoy
I was hoping someone would make covers to house all of Kino's individual Buster Keaton releases in a single box similar to the one they released at the end of last year. I didn't find any custom covers on the web and decided to try making my own covers. Granted they are amateurish (my photo editing skills are rudimentary at best) but they are no worse at least IMHO than the official ones from Kino. I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad given that this is my first attempt at making my own covers. Please note that I wasn't trying to make these look official by adding the bar code and credits and such.
Thanks,
-D
Deepak, these are quite nice. Why would you want anyone else to do them when you managed so well by yourself? :)
The minimalistic look suits these releases quite nicely. If I had one thing to pick on it would be the inclusion of the titles on the fronts. I'd just omit them or place them under the "B.K. Collection" logo. The inclusion of a volume number on the spines would also kick these up a notch.
BTW, there is a font called "Silentina Film" (or Movie) which would look more elegant and appropriate than your basic sans-serif font. Do check it out.
Best of luck, and hope to see more from you in the future.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
You all knew it would be coming eventually. My client wanted the last in the series as well (and one for the Everything or Nothing Docco).

I was also asked to redo the spines with the actual title treatments, which you can see an example of on this.
I'm afraid they're still not available to share.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Fritz Nilsen said:
Deepak, these are quite nice. Why would you want anyone else to do them when you managed so well by yourself? :) The minimalistic look suits these releases quite nicely. If I had one thing to pick on it would be the inclusion of the titles on the fronts. I'd just omit them or place them under the "B.K. Collection" logo. The inclusion of a volume number on the spines would also kick these up a notch. BTW, there is a font called "Silentina Film" (or Movie) which would look more elegant and appropriate than your basic sans-serif font. Do check it out. Best of luck, and hope to see more from you in the future.
Thanks Fritz ! Coming from a master like you, the words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I will try to incorporate the changes you suggested. -D

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by Deepak Shenoy
Thanks Fritz ! Coming from a master like you, the words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I will try to incorporate the changes you suggested.
-D
You're more than welcome. And my suggestions are just that, suggestions. In the end what looks good to you is most important, and don't let me or anyone else tell you otherwise.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
My most recent Bond assignment.
The Everything or Nothing documentary was recently released on PAL DVD in the UK, so this is actually a DVD in Blu clothing.
I refer to the poster as the "last supper" poster :)
And again, this is a client exclusive so not available to share. Sorry.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Deepak, these are quite nice. Why would you want anyone else to do them when you managed so well by yourself? :) The minimalistic look suits these releases quite nicely. If I had one thing to pick on it would be the inclusion of the titles on the fronts. I'd just omit them or place them under the "B.K. Collection" logo. The inclusion of a volume number on the spines would also kick these up a notch. BTW, there is a font called "Silentina Film" (or Movie) which would look more elegant and appropriate than your basic sans-serif font. Do check it out. Best of luck, and hope to see more from you in the future.
I got rid of the titles on the front covers. I did try the font you suggested but I preferred the basic font for the minimalist look I was going for.
box_cover_3d_zps94a87c22.jpg
cover1_3d_zpsde6443d7.jpg
cover2_3d_zpsc1e2853f.jpg
cover3_3d_zpsf2ef0d9f.jpg
cover4_3d_zpsac972a45.jpg
cover5_3d_zps37f8ecc9.jpg
Trying my hand at some custom covers (or should I say fumbling my way through) gives me a greater appreciation for the people who do this well and make it look easy :D -D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks