What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (2 Viewers)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Fantastic work as always. You're amazingly talented. I think I read somewhere that you like other genres besides the action movies we mostly see here. Do you ever do covers for musicals, comedies, classics, holday movies, etc?

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/314247/blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/300#post_4000008
Fantastic work as always. You're amazingly talented. I think I read somewhere that you like other genres besides the action movies we mostly see here. Do you ever do covers for musicals, comedies, classics, holday movies, etc?
Thanks NY2LA. I always appreciate the compliments, though I may find it inappropriate to acknowledge them. Aw shucks, just keep 'em coming! :)

Westerns, Musicals, Classics, Concert Programs, Music Videos, I cater to all tastes :) Don't get much call for comedies, though.
I've done Western Collections, Bigfoot collections and mock covers for people who want personalised birthday gifts. Most of what I do is movie related, like CD covers for soundtracks for example.

I have done customs for, to name a few, West Side Story, Willy Wonka, Wizard of Oz, Psycho, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, What's Up Doc?, Grease, Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach, Legend of the Lost, Navajo Joe, Mutiny on the Bounty, Singin' in the Rain, Poseidon Adventure, The Wall and Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) and I am currently working on Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang and Strangers on a Train. Most of these are client-exclusive commissions so I don't show them here.

My own tastes are just as varied, but I do have a thing for 80s action and Sci-Fi in particular. You'll see that reflected in my personal projects.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
... and Diamonds Are Forever is done.

Once again, these will all be shared, but I am holding off until all 9 are done, in case I have to go back and adjust something.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I don't know if you would classify Bond as classic, but some of them are pure vintage design, like this standalone Dr.No I'm doing for a client.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Slightly left-of-topic, but just to give you guys an impression of how diverse my Bond assignments are, here's a roll-up I've done for a guy who has the Lotus and wants something to catch the eye when he shows it at fairs and car meets.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Fritz Nilsen said:
Slightly left-of-topic, but just to give you guys an impression of how diverse my Bond assignments are, here's a roll-up I've done for a guy who has the Lotus and wants something to catch the eye when he shows it at fairs and car meets.
WOW.

Terrific work

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
Fritz Nilsen said:
I don't know if you would classify Bond as classic, but some of them are pure vintage design, like this standalone Dr.No I'm doing for a client.

Amazing work Fritz! It kills me when these are not available to share.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have never seen that Bond graphic before. I like it. I also like the way the circle graphics lead the eye to the gun barrel. Like this one a lot.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen said:
Thanks NY2LA. I always appreciate the compliments, though I may find it inappropriate to acknowledge them. Aw shucks, just keep 'em coming! :)
I have done customs for, to name a few, West Side Story, Willy Wonka, What's Up Doc?, Singin' in the Rain, and I am currently working on Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang. Most of these are client-exclusive commissions so I don't show them here.
Nothing inappropriate about appreciating that you're appreciated.
I like all the above that I saved from your quote, as for the last 3, i was around when they came out and the disc covers have just gotten worse and worse as they have (in most cases) refused to use the original key art. Fiddler originally had two great concepts: one was a portrait of Tevye cut out of textured cloth, the other a classic musical collage frame around the title. In both cases the title treatment was far more evocatively appropriate than anything used on video. Ditto SOM which has NEVER used the iconic Terpening art and rarely used the iconic logo. Chitty's original posters were not quite perfect but in their depiction of the car and characters much better than anything used on video so far. I think the mistake with CCBB is trying to make it look like a "kiddie" book and they often mess up the wing stripes. Fact is, the car is the star, and it came from BOND people... you should practically drool over that car. BTW, I saw it, more than once, the actual one in the movie poster: wings, propellers and all, OMG! Check out the posters for the stage version of CCBB by world famous DeWynters, who also did the icon based marketing for Cats, Phantom of the Opera, and Les Miz. After the show took off someone made a very detailed and good sized toy replica...
Posters then of course were designed to be seen from a block away, while video covers are designed to be seen on a shelf. Designers today (if you can even call them that) forget the elements the art needs to convey: the topic and spirit of the film, not just the star, and in the cases I've mentioned, that it's a musical. BTW, i suggest you check out, or invest in, a new book featuring the art of Bob Peak, who did lots of iconic posters.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I haven't started Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet, but my client prefers vintage theatrical posters, so that is a given.

If anyone is at all interested, here is a selection of some customs I've made for older films (pre-80s).
The first batch is exclusive and can't be shared, the ones at the bottom are available by PMs.

Client exclusives (click to enlarge):

The following are available from me via PMs. (Click to enlarge):

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen said:
I haven't started Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet, but my client prefers vintage theatrical posters, so that is a given.
If anyone is at all interested, here is a selection of some customs I've made for older films (pre-80s).
The first batch is exclusive and can't be shared, the ones at the bottom are available by PMs.
Excellent stuff! Singin in the Rain is just what I wish they had done.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
GoldenEye cover done.

This actually took some doing, as I couldn't find a good source for an image of Scorupco's shoulder and arm anywhere. In the end I had to swallow my pride and take that part from RobertM's cover (from CustoManiacs). I have to face that he has access to artwork I can't get at.
The Title Treatment proved exceptionally bothersome this time. I wanted to include the ring, but treat it as a separate layer that I could move and resize independantly of the letters. I also had to rearrange the TT to fit neatly on the spine.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Tomorrow Never Dies finito.

Once again Pierce has been flipped, clutching the gun in his left hand and wristwatch on the right. I'm not sure that still even IS from Tomorrow Never Dies (they used a still from the same shoot for World Is Not Enough). But hey, as long as it's the official key art I'm not messing with it.
Just three more to go in the set.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
For NY2LA and anyone else who likes the vintage stuff, here's a gander at a commission I've done for Fiddler on the Roof.

Sorry, not available to share.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Once again I had to rely on RobertM's previous cover to source a part of Diana Rigg's shoulder. The lower arm I took from a still of her in The Avengers.
Is it just me or are there next to no exciting images out there for this film? All images and screenshots are head-shots only. How about a nice, high quality still of some of the locations or the stunts or the vehicles?
Just Spy Who Loved Me and You Only Live Twice to go.
Phew!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well,
I've finished some of the Hitchcock covers from the UK set. I only intend to keep a few of the titles, so I've made individual titles.
David

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My sons are taking The Birds and Psycho from the set. For Psycho, I just used the commercial version, but with a different front (the gold hotel image).
Here is my cover for The Birds. My son found the front cover image, and since I was doing this for them, I used it instead of one of the original posters.
Hopefully, this is my last from the set. These have been hard, since there is a lot more 'customization' to the back than I did with the Monsters set.
David

SKink ARmstrong

Auditioning
Real Name
Skink Armstrong
Hi, quiet a lot of interresting stuff here,great work!!
here's some stuff i've made for my own use, mostly grunge looking like, not really able to make retail look a like...
by the way i'm french so, the title on the spine is no mistake, we have both way here...
hope to check many other works, see you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks