What's new

Blu-ray and 720p (1 Viewer)

gyontef

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Yontef
Hi. I am real newbie. I think that for my purposes (distance from set, money) a 720p TV would be adequate. But is it possible to connect a Blu-ray player to such a TV? I saw a salesperson on QVC claim that Blu-ray would not work with anything less than 1080p.

Gary Yontef
[email protected]

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

That's a load of crap. You can hook a Blu-ray player up to ANY TV, provided you have the necessary adapter if the player doesn't share the same type of outputs as the TV's inputs.

YES YES YES a Blu-ray player will work with a 720p TV. Try to get a TV with an HDMI input (most of them do now) for the best quality (and easiest connection). I have both a 720p AND a 1080p set, and both produce stunning results with Blu-ray.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It has to look at least as good as my HD DVD player hooked up to a 720p projector--which is to say, spectacular. Don't listen to TV shopping network shills who are selling HT stuff on Mondays and chutney sauces on Thursdays.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Take your email out of your post, spam bots search all these forums for publicly displayed email addresses and you don't want to get on their list:)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Man, the misinformation spread by salesmen to make a little more money is just beyond belief.

To echo what our colleagues have already said, the PS3 will work beautifully with a 720p native resolution monitor. It works very nicely with my 720p front projector, although in my case, the image looks best when I feed my projector the 1080i resolution. If you get a PS3, try it both ways with your TV because each system is different. (With my HD DVD player, for example, it's best to output 720p resolution to the projector, but only since the latest software update. Previously I also fed 1080i from my HD DVD player.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks