What's new

Blu-ray: Abandon All Hope Ye Movies Listed Here… (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Actually there's been no region B releases announced so far this year that's excited me much (well maybe, Room At The Top from the BFI), but it's only February, & in the UK with labels like Arrow, Eureka, BFI & Indicator, all run by enthusiast, plus WAC & Twilight Time in the US & a constant stream of catalogue release coming from Germany, I don't think it will be too long before I give a big whoopee at an announcement.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
The boxer. Daniel Day Lewis. It’s released in region 2 I believe but I can’t find it for region 1. One of my favorites.

Reactions: PMF

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I've abandoned ALL hope for BDs of these: Story of Ruth, Greatest Show on Earth, Porgy and Bess, The Alamo, Helen of Troy, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Lady in a Cage, Francis of Assisi, Derzu Uzala, Hercules (& Unchained), Land of the Pharaohs, The Silver Chalice, Julius Caesar ('53), The President's Lady, Prince of Players, Come to the Stable, Sodom and Gomorrah, Esther and the King, The Rose Tattoo, Night of the Iguana, America America, Tobacco Road, The Crusades, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, Journey Beneath the Desert, the 1925 Ben-Hur, Greed and too many already restored silent masterpieces to list.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I've abandoned ALL hope for BDs of these: Story of Ruth, Greatest Show on Earth, Porgy and Bess, The Alamo, Helen of Troy, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Lady in a Cage, Francis of Assisi, Derzu Uzala, Hercules (& Unchained), Land of the Pharaohs, The Silver Chalice, Julius Caesar ('53), The President's Lady, Prince of Players, Come to the Stable, Sodom and Gomorrah, Esther and the King, The Rose Tattoo, Night of the Iguana, America America, Tobacco Road, The Crusades, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, Journey Beneath the Desert, the 1925 Ben-Hur, Greed and too many already restored silent masterpieces to list.

Some of them are available in good looking streaming versions so I hope you will come to terms with having to enjoy them that way unless you are sure to be able to catch them in some kind of repertory screening at a movie theater nearby.

I agree that it is depressing that it is not attractive to release some of my favorite types of movies for the studios. This affects of course all kinds of silent movies but also religious and historical epics and large format movies.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (1939)
"Wuthering Heights" (1939)
"A King in New York" (1957)
"The Nun's Story" (1959)
"Sons and Lovers" (1960)
"Gigot" (1962)
"Half a Sixpence" (1967)
"Thoroughly Modern Millie" (1967)
"Romeo & Juliet" (1968)
"Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (1969)
"The Heartbreak Kid" (1972)
"Sounder" (1972)

Last edited:

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Discs aren't dying. It's the same ole argument the streaming crowd puts forth every few years, hoping it will become their reality. Blu-ray will stay. 4K....not so sure.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Oh I dunno, a lot of those titles are Warner, & who knows what they'll release. And The Crusades, well we've had good releases of Cleopatra & The Sign Of The Cross (in France), so I wouldn't be surprised to see releases of DeMille's The Crusades & The Plainsman, more chance of them than The Greatest Show On Earth anyway (damn you Paramount!).

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here’s my list:

* True Lies
* The Abyss
* Star Wars (1977 - Original Theatrical)
* Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 - Original Theatrical)
* Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983 - Original Theatrical)

... And I have to agree with the OP that Blu-ray in particular, and physical media in general, is dying. We really are down to just 2 manufacturers of UHD/Blu-Ray players left in the United States: LG and Sony. (Panasonic has a token entry, but this is expected to be their last year.). It’s absolutely impossible to ignore that. If consumers are limited in their ability to purchase players, how can they be expected to purchase the discs that go in them? Personally, I have about a 1000 discs that I have purchased over the past 20 years and most still play just fine. The Blu-rays and UHD discs are — in most cases — superior to streaming; and when playing the discs I don’t have to worry about ISP data caps and/or studio lease agreements expiring with the digital locker. But “Joe Six Pack” has now chosen convenience over quality and true ownership; and that fact has to be faced. Just ask Oppo, Samsung, and (soon) Panasonic.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Here’s my list:

* True Lies
* The Abyss
* Star Wars (1977 - Original Theatrical)
* Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980 - Original Theatrical)
* Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983 - Original Theatrical)

... And I have to agree with the OP that Blu-ray in particular, and physical media in general, is dying. We really are down to just 2 manufacturers of UHD/Blu-Ray players left in the United States: LG and Sony. (Panasonic has a token entry, but this is expected to be their last year.). It’s absolutely impossible to ignore that. If consumers are limited in their ability to purchase players, how can they be expected to purchase the discs that go in them? Personally, I have about a 1000 discs that I have purchased over the past 20 years and most still play just fine. The Blu-rays and UHD discs are — in most cases — superior to streaming; and when playing the discs I don’t have to worry about ISP data caps and/or studio lease agreements expiring with the digital locker. But “Joe Six Pack” has now chosen convenience over quality and true ownership; and that fact has to be faced. Just ask Oppo, Samsung, and (soon) Panasonic.
Things are looking quite rosy on this side of the Pond. All the more reason to go region free! ;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Would love to see WB release Rocky Mountain in Blu, but I’m not hopeful.

Gary “the Weissmuller Tarzans would be great, too” O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks