Blowup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carrol M, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Carrol M

Carrol M Stunt Coordinator

Another title I'm drooling for...

From last years MGM chat on March 6th.

2. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Warner owns the rights which means we'll never see it.

3. Carrol M

Carrol M Stunt Coordinator

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Carrol, you have to understand that some people around here are down on Warner, because they do not release catalogue titles as quickly as some other studios.

There are some who would rather see them release 10 times the amount of titles they do and put out crappy DVDs of catalogue titles like MGM does.

Personally, I think Warner is doing a great job on their recent releases.

But I have not heard anything about Blow-Up yet.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Rain

Rain Producer

Damin,

I'm not denying that MGM occasionally does a decent job, though I haven't seen the Midnight Movies releases you are referring to. However, most of the catalogue titles are pretty poorly done. Check out The Apartment and Tom Jones and then tell me you disagree. I'd much rather see Warner do these titles with the same quality they've applied to stuff like Now, Voyager.

Basically, I'm a bit annoyed at the attitude towards Warner around here. They just can win. If they put out tons of stuff in shoddy quality, people would complain. When they do a good job on their releases, people complain they aren't coming fast enough. It should be realized that it takes more time when so much work goes into making a good presentation.

How come nobody complains that Criterion doesn't put out stuff fast enough?

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Rain
    How come other studios have no problem putting out quality catalog DVDs at a faster rate than Warner or are Paramount & Columbia's transfers "poorly done" like MGM's?
    And I disagree with you, the majority of the titles that MGM puts out are very nice. Also, many of these titles are obscure, titles we would never ever see Warner put out on DVD.
    For someone who hasn't seen MGM's Midnite Movie line (a pretty extensive line at that), I don't think you should be making comments about MGM's overall quality.
    The problem many of us have with Warner is until recently, their almost total indifference to their older catalog titles. They have improved but even at the present rate, it will be many, many years before we see a lot of great films.
    Oh, and Blow Up is one of my most wanted titles on DVD. I pray every day that this classic will come out on DVD, but judging from Warner's answer, my hopes aren't very high.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Pish-posh, Rain. What has Warner done for us lately besides Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago, The Bad and the Beautiful, Designing Woman, Little Women, Now Voyager, The Dirty Harry Films, Klute, Summer of '42, Ocean's 11, Robin and the Seven Hoods, The Prince and the Showgirl, Love in the Afternoon, A Touch of Class, and the forthcoming The Harvey Girls, Calamity Jane, The Women, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?
    Oh, and the aqueducts. [​IMG]
    Regards,

9. Rain

Rain Producer

Right on, Ken! [​IMG]

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

11. Rain

Rain Producer

We could post a list just as long of unreleased catalogue titles from any other studio as well.
    Ah, to heck with it, I give up. [​IMG]

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    you're doing the same thing to MGM. when they turn themselves around and start regularly releasing stellar catalog titles (as they've been doing for quite awhile), you still claim that they're doing crappy work. perhaps Warner doesn't get fair treatment around here, but as your posts evidence, neither does MGM.
    DJ

13. Rain

Rain Producer

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

15. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I agree. People complain about MGM, when Warner Bros. has made it abundantly clear that they are not all that interested in seeing their catalog titles released.

MGM has released great titles like The Terminator, Mad Max, Dressed to Kill, When Harry Met Sally, Platoon, The Princess Bride, Carrie, not to mention almost all of the Midnite Movies series that I have seen. While you may or may not feel that these titles are important, MGM has done a great job with them and cares more about doing a great job with their catalog than they used to. Who was the company that was originally going to release barebones editions of The Fog and Last House on the Left? MGM. Would Warner Bros. bend over backwards for titles like these? Not very likely. Especially not in the way of finding a true Uncut print of Last House, which MGM has reportedly tracked down in Germany.

So to answer the question of who cares about their catalog more, my opinion is MGM. Warner has little regard for anything that true DVD fans want. Look at the fight we had to put up for Willie Wonka to get released in Widescreen. You'd think they would've learned, but they followed it up with Follow that Bird in fullscreen. Look at how shabbily they treat their TV properties like South Park.

This of course, is merely Mr. Riarson's opinion.

16. Rain

Rain Producer

Walt, I highly recommend you pick up The Apartment and Tom Jones, both of which won the Academy Award for Best Picture, and then try telling me MGM cares about catalogue titles. Like I said, the only titles that get any effort from them are the ones they expect will make big bucks.

17. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

19. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I agree with Rain and Ken. Warner has increased their output, and their quality is top notch. MGM gives us lots of titles per month, but most of them are rotten transfers, rotten titles, or both. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but any company that can release Oscar-winners like THE APARTMENT and TOM JONES looking like excrement, and actually release a film like THE THING WITH TWO HEADS on DVD while we wait for films like NEW YORK, NEW YORK has to be questioned.

In my earlier posting, I was referring mostly to Fox as the studio most neglectful of their library. All they've given us in terms of classics are Marilyn Monroe films, horrendous Shirley Temple transfers and Carmen Jones, and yet Fox is treated with awe on this forum, while people constantly trash Warner. Something's not right here.

Columbia and Paramount are frequently dipping into their catalog, but with no more frequency than Warner, and with less supplementary support. Both of them could improve their packaging design too. At least that's one area where MGM does a good job (RUNNING SCARED not-withstanding).

I too, wish Warner would triple its release output of classic titles. They should probably set up a whole separate marketing line to do so (like CBS/FOX did when setting up KEY VIDEO in the 1980s). Maybe they'll have enough smarts to realize such a division of labor could result in incremental revenue for their company.

But for now, I see a significant improvement from prior years, and glorious releases. THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL and KLUTE most recently, were stunning. I look forward to SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON, THE HARVEY GIRLS, THE WOMEN, etc.

20. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor