Blowup sale of Infocus X1 at the Official Store

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RaymondSteiner, Jul 27, 2005.

1. RaymondSteiner

RaymondSteiner Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping to take advantage to the offer:
    http://store.infocus.com/escalate/st...ctors-Business

Infocus X1 (Faroudja) for 649 US$ plus shipping/taxes from the official site. Seeing the Refurbished selled for 600 + shipping/taxes (the minimum price i found on the net) i think it's a great deal...

2. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

The X1 is obsolete at this point now that the infocus 4805 has taken over . There is only a 350-400$ difference in price and the 4805 will literally blow the X1 out of the water performance wise. If you can stretch your budget just a little more you will not regret it. Trust me on this.[​IMG]

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Stretching your budget by 50%+ isn't what I'd call "a little".

The X1 is still as good as it ever was, especially for those of us with a lot of 4:3 analog material to watch (big LD collection!). "blow out of the water" isn't exactly how I'd describe the difference either. It's still an 800x600 DLP.

4. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with Philip, The 4805 is a better projector but dosent blow the X1/4800 out of the water. I have alot of experience with both and the 4805 is a little nicer but it does not have the peformance/value of the X1/4800.

5. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

I've seen both, and if you're even slightly prone to seeing rainbows, there is a NIGHT & DAY difference between the 4805 and its predecessors.

Try to see both in action before pulling the trigger.

6. frankinG

Todd I couldnt have said it better myself.[​IMG] The processing power of the 4805 and the native 16-9 format absolutely make it the king of the hill in the 1000$ and under catagory. We are talking about home theater film viewing here gentlemen, not daytime television. Yes there are a bunch of great films in the 4:3 aspect ratio but the future is 16-9 and it is here too stay. I favour my LCD projector for various reasons but considering the popularity of the 4805 on every forum available, that speaks for itself.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with what has been said.......the 4805 and X1 really are not in the same category. This is not to say say that the x1 is lousy or obsolete by any means......it is just not up to par in really any category when compared to the 4805.

On a side note.......FrankinG,

What happened in the last month??

Post regarding 4805 from a month ago......

Believe me, I respect your change in tone and am happy to see you are being a bit more open......I even took you off thatignore list [​IMG]......By me pointing this out I am not trying to be a pain at all so I apologize if it seems as if I am, I am just very curious on why the change of tone??

8. frankinG

Evan you are definitely not being a pain at all. Even starting to respond to my comments on this thread shows a lot of character which is extremely rare these days. Even more considering the past events. Quite impressive to say the least. It is always the " better man " who steps up to the plate first as you did so you have me there.[​IMG] Yes, everyone can be very opinionated at times and my timing was a little off then.

I had a 'good', or should I say a 'properly set up demonstration' with the 4805 in a fellow club members home theater. The projector was unknown to me at the time as it was enclosed in a 'hushbox' mounted on the ceiling.I was invited over to actually just check out the room itself after the construction was finished. He always had the SANYO Z1 mounted on the ceiling before in his living room so I just assumed it was still there.

We watched about an hour of "the matrix" and I commented that the picture was better then I recalled before. He then told me the projector was a new DLP model he had switched over from the older LCD sanyo. I was so impressed that an under 1000$ machine could be that good. Kind of changed my opinion somewhat about entry level DLP.

I had eyestrain issues with my SHARP 12000 before and the occasional rainbow (which I should add I only saw maybe 2 or 3 times in a complete 2 hour film.

When a person spends a lot of hard earned dough on a supposedly state of the art model (it was at the time but not any more since the optoma H79 come out) and experiences issues with it, it makes you automatically critical of any entry level unit, as the assumption "they must be even worse" takes hold.

So I am now convinced that a great theater experience can be achieved at minimal cost with the right products.

Glad to be back on the right track. If I slip up in the future Evan I will only need to be hit on the head with any low priced DLP projector and it should be enough to straighten me out again for another few months. Old habits are hard to break.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Present system

20'x14'theater room
    Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector
    Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen
    Anthem avm 30 pre-pro
    Rotel rb1095 5 channel amp
    Rotel rb1080 5 channel amp
    Paradigm reference speaker system
    HTPC 1-1 pixel mapped

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Well thank you very much for your kind words. It is always nice to put "issues" behind and move on. I have to say that you have some wonderful equipment. I would love to get a hold of some of those Rotel amps in the future......but I think my wife would probably kill me if I bought something else anytime soon [​IMG].
    I know you had mentioned in the past that you had a lot of issues with DLP eyestrain. Did you notice any issues with the 4805? I have a buddy that I am trying to help out (he lives far away) so I am trying to get as much info for him as he is very bothered by slower wheel speeds. I too am bothered by 2x wheel speeds but am not bothered by my 4805.

10. frankinG

Thanks for the comments on the equipment. It is years of upgrading from years ago. I had no ill effects from the 1 hour with the 4805 at all. I might add that The eye strain usually starts after extended viewing sessions. I first noticed it with the sharp unit after watching 2 full length films back to back.

I think it is an amazing viewing experience considering the under 1000$ price. I sat 2x screen width back and did not notice any screen door at all. I have very good eyesight and would have noticed it if it was there. Many forum members knock this as an issue with this projector but feel it is unjustified.

Just as a side note, because I know this is a display device thread, the rotel amps were the single biggest improvement in sound quality I ever heard.

Keep those films rolling and good luck[​IMG]