1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blown voice coil?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LawrenceZ, Oct 3, 2001.

1. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed recently, I don't know when it happened exactly, that at certain frequencies one of my PSB Century 500i's 'flutters', sort of like a rattling noise like the driver is bottoming out. It's only with the one speaker and it's only at certain frequencies (probably somewhere between 500-1500).
    If this is a blown voice coil and the driver has to be replaced (most likely), does anyone know if it is possible to simply buy a new driver from PSB (the speakers are past warranty) and have it shipped to me so I can replace the driver myself? The speaker right now is still usable and I don't want to be without it for 2 weeks while it gets fixed.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lawrence, I am going through the exact same thing right now with a pair of Totem Arro floorstanding speakers. I started a thread about it at the end of last week. Here is a link to that thread so you can see what happened in my case:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044406.html
    One speaker is having a problem like what you describe at very low frequencies. As I said in the above thread, I have only observed the "fluttering" of the driver of one speaker during one passage of one song. Nevertheless, the speakers are at the dealer awaiting a new driver from Totem. A technician at the store is going to swap out drivers as soon as the new one arrives. He said I blew a voice coil. I suppose if you are knowledgable in this area, you could replace the driver yourself. However, I am not sure how speaker manufacuturers handle these things. They may refer you to an authorized dealer for the repair.
    Once I get the speakers back, I am going to add a sub to my system to prevent this from happening again. Good luck.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime