Blown tweeter in my JBL L100

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brad-F, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

One of the tweeters in my JBL L100s is blown, and the other has a small rip in the cone. They are very old. Time they were replaced.

I have emailed the Austrlian distributor of JBL, but as yet have not recieved a response.

In case they can not help (being in Australia and all) I am hoping someone here can tell me where I could purchase a new pair of tweeters?

I have taken a photo of one of the tweeters and put it up on the web here...

Tweeter

If I can no longer get this exact tweeter, could anyone here recommend a suitable replacement?

Thanks

Brad

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Are you sure they are blown? Check the wiring inside and see if eveything is tight, play around with the brillance and presence adjustments.......
    If they are blown, a suitable replacement would be a titanium tweet. But, sometimes, you can find old JBL parts on audiogon. I think the tweet part number is LE25.....
    Hope you get'em fixed as the L100's are a monster pair of speakers.....

3. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

DonnyD

I am not sure it is blown so I will check the wiring once I get a chance.

However, on the one that I think is blown, the middle of the cone is pushed in. The sort of thing that a kid does to speakers. I don't know how this one got like that. It was like that when I got the speaker (when my dad passed away).

On the other, the actual cone is ripped, from about 11 o'clock to about 3 o'clock. That can't be good for the sound, however, that one is still working.

Thanks for the tips.

Brad

4. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

By titanium tweet I assume you mean the JBL GTO10T 1" Titanium Tweet?

I have looked at this online and it seems to be for car audio. Has anyone here used this tweeter in a pair of L100s.

5. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

I have found a solution. I can't believe that I did not think of it before.

Get the LE25 tweeters reconed.

I contacted the distributor of JBL here in Australia and they can get the kit in for me ($66AU) and fit it for $25AU.

Too easy and hopefully, they will be as good as new.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Great!

I must say I have to revise my post about the "titanium tweets" being a suitable replacement for those wonderful original JBL drivers.......Keep those old L's as original as possible and hold'em tight! Those beauties are worth the effort.........

In cleaning and tightening up my connections, I ended up changing out the binding post to accomodate banana type connectors. It was a direct replacement fit with NO damage whatsoever to the mounting plate and although it does lose "original" status, it is definitely an improvement since the old twist type connectors do not accept larger speaker wire.....

Good luck! Let us know how they turn out.

7. Brad-F

Brad-F Stunt Coordinator

Good thinking on the connectors.. One of mine is broken and I have to attach the cable with one of those bulldog clips they use to hold piles of paper together in an office.

Not only that, but the holes in the connector posts are too small and like you I have a hell time trying to get the chuncky speaker cable in.

I will post in this thread again once I get the tweeters done and test them out. Seems that will be around mid March (2005) as it will take them 8 WEEKS to get the kits from overseas!

8 weeks?!?

Must be sending them by row-boat. [​IMG]