Blown Sub I think

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by [email protected], Apr 13, 2004.

1. John@UCD

[email protected] Auditioning

Hey I just took apart a sub that was making a "farting" noise. The speaker doesn't have any apparent damage to it. Is there anyway I can hook it up to make sure it isn't the amp that is broken? Any ideas? Thanks

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    John,

You could disconnect the amp from the driver (remove at least one lead - and if you remove both, remember which one was connected to which terminal), then remove any input wires from the amp as well as the power connection and connect the driver to another amp (e.g. the Center or L or R of your system). Personally, I would feel more comfortable if I knew the impedance of the sub's driver, to make sure it matches the amp you're connecting (more or less).

This way you could find out if the speaker driver is OK. A problem might be to close the box if you have to feed that extra set of wires through, so don't try to play it too loud - for more than one reason, BTW.

Good luck.

Cees

PS Did the "farting noise" come from the speaker itself, or could it have been the port?
    C.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Also inspect the surround around the woofer cone closely in case it's coming away from the frame and 'passing wind'.

4. John@UCD

[email protected] Auditioning

I believe that everything is 4 ohm. I know the sub is. Anyway I have already disconnected both of the leads to the cone and will attempt to do it on almost minimal volume to see if it makes the sound.

The noise was coming most definitely from the cone and not the port. I assume by port you mean the rear hole.

5. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

try pushing very lightly on the cone itself..make like a spider with your hand and push equally around the cone..if it makes a scratching noise then the sub is blown..

6. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Air leaking around the driver gasket can make a loud farting noise.