Blown in insulation to dampen suspended ceiling?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenny WH, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Kenny WH

Kenny WH Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone used blown insulation on top of a suspended "grid" type ceiling to dampen all the noises these ceilings give off in their basement theaters?

Due to home construction I was forced to use a grid ceiling in the basement and it works great, except in the theater. Whenever there is any loud bass in the movie or music the ceiling resonates something terrible. I've gone around and tried using felt and other things in the worse areas but it really doesn't help much.

I have alot of time and money invested in this darn ceiling since I've painted it dark blue and I installed a fiber optic "star" field with over 800 points into it. So what do you guys think of blowing in some cellulose insulation on top to add a little mass to it. I thinking maybe 4" worth would be a good start.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I assume your talking about an acoustical ceiling grid with either 2x2 or 2x4 removeable tiles? If this is the case, blown in insulation is a bad idea!!

Very, very dusty when it is being blown in. And if you would EVER have to remove a tile, and I am sure you will, get out the wet/dry vac. What a P.I.T.A!!!!

If this is a drywall suspended grid, what access do you have to blow it in, besides drilling holes? Even with a solid drywall ceiling,insulation dust goes EVERYWHERE! W.A.F.would be very low.[​IMG]

Colin

3. Kenny WH

Yah it's a grid with 2x4 acoustic panels. My idea was to only lower one centrally located tile and pipe the stuff up into the ceiling. I've never worked with the blown in stuff so I wasn't sure about the dust factor.

My brother's house has some kind of blown in stuff in the attic thats pure white and kinda feels kinda like poly fill we use in stuffing sub boxes. It didn't seem like it would be dusty. It may have been blow-in fiberglass. That would be a problem with itching though. I've heard of some kind of wool like stuff that can be blown in also. Hmmm, what to do?.?.

Ken

4. Colin Goddard

Colin Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Ken

Okay, a few things here. Do you know, or guess, what part of the grid system is resonating? Where the wire attaches to the grid? Or possibly the tiles themselves moveing?

What I would try.
    [1] Install rolled fiberglass sound insulation{r-11} over top the grid.This of course would involve removeing the tile. Not sure how this would work with your fiber optics?
    [2]There are what is called a "lock down" clip for ceiling tiles. We use them often with acoustical tile in schools so the kids can't push ceiling tile out of place. I don't think H.D. or Lowes carry them. Check phone book for acoustical ceiling distibutors.
    [3]Were the ceiling wire goes through the grid hole, put a small "dab" of 100% silicone caulk on them and allow them to dry overnite. When there is not alot of weight on the grid, some wires can "rattle" in the grid hole.

Hope this is of some help.

5. Kenny WH

When the bass hits, the corner areas are worse, but the whole darn ceiling makes noise. I have a fairly large amount of sub bass coming from a pair of svs ultras and a dual 15" d.i.y sub.[​IMG]

It mainly seems like the tiles are making the most noise but I do hear metal to metal rattles up in the ceiling which are the wires. I've thought about regular insulation bats but it will be hard to not damage the fiber optics while installing them, plus I don't think they would add enough dampening.

The fiber optics are the biggest concern when it comes to removing the tiles. Blown in stuff seems the way to go if I can get something that won't wreck the room with dust or itchy particles. If I ever had to drop a tile or two to access the plumbing etc. down the road, I wouldn't mind having to use the old shop vac. It would be worth it if it would stop the rattling ceiling.

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Have you tried adding mass of some other sort to the backs of the tiles? Bricks, stones, scraps of wood? Anything you can attach that won't make the panels sag should accomplish what you are trying to do. I'm thinking scraps of 2x4 Liquid Nailed in a couple of spots to each tile would do the trick. Or better yet pieces of drywall. That would help stiffen the tiles and add more mass.

-Dave