Blown avr-1082

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodney wiley, Jul 4, 2002.

1. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

[​IMG] Help!!! I came home from work yesterday and decided to watch a movie. Put in The Rock and began to watch. Well about an hour later I was awakened buy a loud clap of thunder. Before I could get up to turn off the equipment I hear a loud pop from my 1082[​IMG] Now I get nothing!! Not even the standbuy light. Yes I do believe it was hit by lightning. Here is my two part question. Do the Denons have a internal fuse that could have been blown? It dosent smell as if it was burnt. Next question being that this will be the first claim I have ever had on my homeowners what should I expect? Will they require I get it fixed or wll they ask for proof of purchase and just reimburse me for a new unit? HELP!!!

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Was anything else fried? How's your TV or DVD player? Was it on a surge protector? Does the protector still work? Some protectors have a green and red light, does yours? If so, what's the condition of the lights?

If it's only your 1802 that died I would then wonder what is cheaper and more hassel free; your insurance deductable or the price of a new 1802???

- Mike

3. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Oops, you wrote 1082, I read 1802. Well, not familiar with the 1082. Is it an older model? In that case insurance is your best bet if you have a reasonable deductable. Sorry for the mixup.

- Mike

4. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Yes Mike, everything else works fine and is on the same surge potector. The avr 1082 is a mass market model for the 3802. They are the same thing. I immediatley called my claims center but they only took a message and Im hoping for a call on friday. Do you think they will repair or replace?

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

If the receiver doesn't smell fried it may well be a blown fuse. Could be very simple...let's hope.

6. Mike Veroukis

Michael
    Rodney,
    I'm no expert here, but unless it's something simple and obvious (like a fuse), it would almost always be better to replace then repair. The thing is you don't know which components were fried until you test them all. What's worse is that it may be more then one little circuit that was fried.
    I've had one little mini system that I tried to get repaired. After 6 months the repair shop gave up as they could not figure out what was wrong. I'm sure they could have figured it out but it just would have cost too much. Anyone want an Aiwi mini system with a broken CD player? [​IMG]
    To be honest I would prefer they simply replace it. Any repair will take some time anyway, so it could save you the hassle. Of course in my experience insurance companies always seem to do the opposite of what is most convenient so they'll probably try to repair it. [​IMG]
    - Mike

7. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Ok this is toooo weird!!!! I took of the cover and saw two fuses both in good shape. When I plugged the surge protector back in....the receiver came back on. But I have noticed that when ever I push setup the unit makes a very small sound and I have never noticed that before. Im totally confused. Was the noise always there and I just didnt notice it? or am I being paranoid. Im gonna leave the unit on for a while and see what happens

8. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

upon further inspection... I have no on screen display!!

9. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

The unit has gone off a second time and wouldn't come back on. Im just waiting for the adjuster to call me. Its only 9:00am and Im getting very anxious. I need a receiver!!!!

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

It sounds like you've got a bigger problem than just a blown fuse if you ask me. If you do have it repaired make sure that they go over the whole unit.

I think that Mike might be right with the replace vs. repair line of thought. Hopefully it won't come to that.

This type of thread is why I'm going to pick up a PS Audio or Brickwall unit in the near future. These two units are built on non-degrading surge suppression technology and supposedly can take any incoming spike. Yeah, they're a few hundred dollars but in the end it seems like a good investment to protect expensive A/V systems.

Good luck.

11. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Jim I have to agree with you! I am gonna do something different that that old surge unit. Its terrible the weekend coming up and no receiver!!