What's new

Blown amp for a PSB subsonic 6 (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I have a blown amp (as you know from the subject line). PSB only replaces...doesn't repair. Any suggestions on a mono amp to power my sub?

Thanks
Rick

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rick

I have a PSB Subsonic 6 too and feel that it is grossly underpowered for HT use. PSB has recently improved the Sub Sonic 6 with a higher power amp, better woofer and a larger cabinet. The amp in the Sub Sonic 6 is around 120wrms so one of the smaller PE amps might work. However, PSB uses a compression circuit in their amp to prevent bottoming the woofer at high output levels and that may be hard to find in a general replacement plate amp. PSB subwoofers are very flat over their intended range of operation, but do not play that loud for HT use. I am planning on selling my Sub Sonic 6 and have been looking at either an Adire Dharma or building my own subwoofer using a PE cabinet and a Rythmik subwoofer/amp/LT combination.
Regards,
TCIII

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well wadaya know! I had posted here about a year ago. My Subsonic 6 kept on blowing fuses. Mind you, I had opened it up, removed the stuffing, and over stuffed :b with new stuffing. My theory is that the amp did not have sufficient cooling space after my blunder. Anyway, I traced the problem to a small power supply but PSB was not going to sell just the power supply. The whole amp cost aroung $500 at the time. I decided to replace all 4 power transistors on the power supply board and that fixed it up.

What is the problem with yours? You did check the fuse, right? ;)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Yep I checked the fuse. It was blown, but when I replaced it all I heard was the low hum coming from my sub...bad news. Apparantly, the fuse didn't blow fast enough and something else got fried. I'm not savvy in electronics but I already had this thing repaired once (my father-in-law's friend who is no longer in the area) and it did the same thing.

At the moment, I have it rigged up with an old Kenwood receiver using the CD in from the receiver sub out and then running the speaker wire from the sub to the Kenwood...how tricked up is that!!!

ipodphone07

Auditioning
Real Name
nik zamora
I think I may go the exact same route you went. Anyway you could describe where the four power transistors are that you replaced and where you were able to pick replacement ones up at? That would be a huge help for me, Thanks

ipodphone07

Auditioning
Real Name
nik zamora
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph

Well wadaya know! I had posted here about a year ago. My Subsonic 6 kept on blowing fuses. Mind you, I had opened it up, removed the stuffing, and over stuffed :b with new stuffing. My theory is that the amp did not have sufficient cooling space after my blunder. Anyway, I traced the problem to a small power supply but PSB was not going to sell just the power supply. The whole amp cost aroung $500 at the time. I decided to replace all 4 power transistors on the power supply board and that fixed it up.

What is the problem with yours? You did check the fuse, right? ;)
I think I may go the exact same route you went. Anyway you could describe where the four power transistors are that you replaced and where you were able to pick replacement ones up at? That would be a huge help for me, Thanks

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nik,

You are reopening a thread that is almost 7 years old. It isn't even certain all posters are still active on the forum!

Do not expect a reply.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks