What's new

Blowing fuses in amps of any other "common" problems with HTamps needing service? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking into buying a used multichannel amp, Parasound 1205A, 855A, or Rotel 1075, but I have heard many people saying that their amps often have blown fuses? How do these fuses get blown, and how often does this occur? Also, how reliable are these amps I have just mentioned, I am wondering becasue I don't want to get stuck with a big metal doorstop after buying it used. I probably can get the 855 new, but I really want a 1205 or 1075(unless the dealer gives me a BIG discount). Anyone got a good, CHEAP used one?:b

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I've bought about 10-12 used amps just over the past couple of years. The only time that I ever blew a fuse on any of them was when I accidentally had the speaker wire ends touch each other with the amp on. Not many things to go wrong or wear out on a used amp, If you get it to your doorstep in working order then most likely you wont run into any problems down the road, this has been my experience anyway

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Kyle,

I haven't heard of HT amps blowing their fuses being a common problem. I have heard of it as John said though. Crossed speaker wires and things like that. Where did you hear it was common? To the best of my knowledge amps a pretty reliable.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that's about where I've heard it, speaker wires touching. Also, how much would I have to pay to have a fuse fixed?

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
about a dollar or so as you could do it yourself with no problem, thats if you ever had to. Dont worry, buying a used power amp is the best option there is. You can get so many great deals on used amps, over 50 percent off!! go for it.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Also, how much would I have to pay to have a fuse fixed? "
Maybe $.99:) They are pretty cheap.
Kyle, With amplifiers, like most electronic pieces...the problems will arise within the first month of ownership/usage if there is a problem...otherwise, solid-state electronics are pretty reliable. The big companies are also pretty willing to service their product if you do run into a problem. Switching out a fuse is about as easy as plugging the unit into the wall.
I'm also a little perplexed by your findings that amps often blow their fuses. Whoever told you that is full of... you know:) It will happen as a safey if you cross wires or internal short, lightning strike, etc.
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks