What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There is nothing minor league about Brian De Palma’s Blow Out, a tantalizing and taut thriller which is a unique achievement in the filmmaker’s canon.

Blow Out (1981)

Released: 24 Jul 1981
Rated: R
Runtime: 108 min

Director: Brian De Palma
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Cast: John Travolta, Nancy Allen, John Lithgow
Writer(s): Brian De Palma, Bill Mesce Jr.

Plot: A movie sound recordist accidentally records the evidence that proves that a car accident was actually murder and consequently finds himself in danger.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: 86

Disc Information

Studio: Criterion
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
Audio:...

Continue reading...

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Hmmm not sure if film stock from that era warrants a 4K upgrade for me. I remember it looked murky back then when I first saw it
Thanks for the review but it looks like the extras are the same as previously released on Criterion?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hmmm not sure if film stock from that era warrants a 4K upgrade for me. I remember it looked murky back then when I first saw it
Thanks for the review but it looks like the extras are the same as previously released on Criterion?
Yes, exactly the same.

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
while John Lithgow proves at even this early date in his career he could play sinister and menacing exceptionally well, long before his Emmy-winning turn as the Trinity Killer on Dexter.
Five years earlier than Blow Out Lithgow was excellent in De Palma's Obsession. I think he's solid in everything he has been in, Garp, Buckaroo Banzai, De Palma's Raising Cain, and Dick Solomon on 3rd Rock. Just as he's menacing in bad guy roles, there's something unsettling about him even in comedies. But, it seems that he's "in on the joke" no matter what the role.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of my 2 or 3 favorite people to listen to on late night talk shows. Jeff Goldblum and James Spader are also really fun guests b/c they seem to be in on all the jokes about themselves.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Matt,

Your point re the HDR not making night skies as dark as the letterbox framing raises a question around since the time of the Bible.

Was HDR tamed down in this situation, to allow imagery to remain as it should?

Was HDR even necessary to the mix?

Having just completed viewing 1883, I’m of the opinion that HDR would have killed that film’s beautifully rendered images.

Crassus:23

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Matt,

Your point re the HDR not making night skies as dark as the letterbox framing raises a question around since the time of the Bible.

Was HDR tamed down in this situation, to allow imagery to remain as it should?

Was HDR even necessary to the mix?

Having just completed viewing 1883, I’m of the opinion that HDR would have killed that film’s beautifully rendered images.

Crassus:23
Crassus:23 verse ?

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Plutarch is not a verse.
Crassus:23; verse would be a number. Check your apocryphal bible.

I was stating the author's name, Plutarch, who wrote about Crassus, not a verse. In Chapter 23 by Plutarch: "It is said on that day Crassus did not make his appearance in a purple robe, as is the custom with Roman generals. but in a black one . . . ."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks