What's new

Blow Out, The Conversation, and Blowup (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Two of my favorite films are De Palma's Blow Out, and Coppola's The Conversation. I've been told that both were inspired by Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup made in 1966. Has anyone seen this film, is it worth seeking out?
I don't think it is available on dvd, but if anyone recommends it, I might rent the tape.
I appreciate any comments.

Stephen_M

Agent
Yes, absolutely worth seeing.
BUT, a dated and overrated film. The key sequence is indeed a classic in cinema - a near 20 minute sequence involving David Hemmings developing a series of pictures in his photo lab. This is such a good, sustained sequence - and completely out of sync with much of the rest of the film which seems to careen all over the place by film's end. Bottom line - a very influential, perhaps, even important film - but not a classic by any means, IMHO.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend it also, but my favorite Antonioni is L'Avventura. And Criterion's 2-disc DVD edition of that movie is one of the finest of the year.
But I also like Blowup - much more than Blow-Out and about as much as The Conversation. I think Ebert really nails the essence of this film in his review:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/blowup.html

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Blow Up is on of my favorite films of the 60's. It really captures the look & feel of the swingin 60's London scene, a time period which I love. I rank it right up there with The Converstion, which is another great film. I like Blow Out, which is a semi-remake of Blow Up, but it pales in comparison to the original.
Warner owns the rights to this film so I have no idea when it will be released on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks