Blow off steam about UK Postal Strike !

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I'm all in favour of people's right to strike but BOLLOCKS !! I've got the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, the Canadian Irreversible and the Chris Cunningham DVDs stuck in postal limbo !
    Anyone else suffering ?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

What! Will this affect my Borg Cube, which has just entered the shipping process? I say - get out the UK version of our National Guard and deliver that mail!

3. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

It is a pain in the arse but heh the workers are doing what most of the country should. Fight against poor wages/conditions. The DVD's will come soon enough.. hopefully!

4. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Thus far I've not been affected (thankfully as I'm trying to remortgage the flat before the interest rates go up!), but I've sold some DVDs via ebay and at least one recipient is in London. If anyone knows an alternative for 2 quid, then I'll use it, but otherwise this fellow might be in for a delay...

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I work for Royal Mail.

[Clears off eggs and assorted vegetables from personage] [​IMG]

No, seriously, this struggle has been going on for ages, and it's pissing me off Big Time. I was off last week and am off next week for annual leave, so I don't know what the situation is in regard of nightshift parcels is: Most online retailers ship through the pre-paid Mail-Sort 1/2 system and they are delivered to sorting offices around the country between 9pm and 2am via airmail.

I too have the Looney Tunes 4 Disc set sitting in a bag on a York at Mount Pleasant mail office... OUTSIDE - in the cold!

I'm sure all well be settled by next week, though.

Gordy

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Grrrrrrrrr.... got 7 discs, credit card bills, driving licence and tons of other important stuff stuck in limbo. [​IMG]

Its actually starting to really piss me off.

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Well, I support the strike 100% And I would expect most of the people on this forum to do so, given the amount of packages you make them deliver. [​IMG]

Seriously, my local postman must get a lot of work and effort just keeping up with my weekly deliveries, but I've never seen nothing but a smile and polite conversation with him. I've also never had any package go missing. Same for the other postmen when I have something to pick up from the sorting office. On a more serious note, my parents live in a small village, somewhat isolated and their local postman is a lifeline for them, and again they have nothing but praise for his services and manner. He's more than a postman - last month he helped a lady change a tyre on her bike.

The postmen are one of the foundations of our society and deserve better treatment. I'm not 100% up on their pay-claims, but I think they deserve more than they are reported by the media to be getting now. But I do think that they should have much better working conditions. I've yet to hear about a "modernisation" process that didn't result in worse conditions for the workers and better conditions for the executives. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am still waiting for my R1 Warner Legends box set

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Yeah its pissing me off too, the strike is illegal, unofficial and downright criminal! They have my dvds, letters etc in some depot somewhere gathering dust, items I paid for, post I paid for, they're mine, mine, mine and they've been taken hostage! [bites fist]
    I hope this crisis gets resolved this week, christmas is coming up fast...[​IMG]

10. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    It's settled at last! Now I can go and collect my Looney Tunes Golden collection which has been stuck for a week at my local sorting office.

11. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    I'd hate for anyone to think I was having a go at the Royal Mail staff. I'm not. I've had no problems with them and I'm sure - like all the truly essential services - they're probably underpaid for doing a job that I, for one, wouldn't fancy.
    This thread was intended for exactly what it said - to blow off steam about our delayed DVDs.And that's all.

That said, I think the postal workers could do with some better PR men. I've got no clear idea of what the specific grievance actually was. Anyway - it seems to be resolved now and I think it might work in posties' favour. After all, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Personally, I dread the notion of our mail system being broken up into all kinds of smaller carriers. Can you imagine how complicated (and expensive) that would get for us in particular ?
    The danger is always that such a strike becomes a convenient excuse for governments to push these changes through.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    One striking postie said he had no idea what the strike was about! A dead rat found in the toilets was one of the sparks that ignited this strike. There you go. I really hope this is the beginning of the end of the Royal Mail and we have a dozen competing postal companies to choose from in the future, so something like this can never happen again.

13. James Reader

How would that work? 12 different deliveries a day? How would you know when the post was due, or even which post it was due in?

And surely all 12 couldn't have local sorting offices or depots so they would probably sub-contract out the end delivery to Royal Mail, or each other anyhow. What would happen if a letter went missing? Who would be respsonsible - especially if deliveries were sub-contracted out.

It would be like the trains - everyone would be blaming everyone else and doing nothing themselves.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I totally agree with you, John. It would be a nightmare. It would be bad enough for us city slickers, but what about people on the Isle of Wight, Bute, Shetland or people in Auchnasheen, Balindaloch or some old hermit at Cape Wrath where the mountains finally turn the sand?! [​IMG]

Gordy

15. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Yet another example of privitization gone bad. Royal Mail has clearly been set up to fail just like Railtrack. The government insists on their being self-sufficient and yet happily sticks to the letter on targets to impose penalties which jeopardize their ability to keep their heads above water.

Like Railtrack, this is a public service and not a money-making operation. Postal workers should be civil servants: they perform a public service and should be paid by the public -- not a subsidized private company.

16. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

17. James Reader

Well, technically multiple suppliers of Electricity doesn't work because none of them are willing to invest in the infrastructure and are more willing to give the money to their shareholders. As a result of the privetisation the UK is warned that there could be blackouts this winter...

Oddly, they seemed to be willing to invest in sales teams that would change people's suppliers without their knowledge due to forged signatures. Strange isn't it?

You could also argue that the same thing is happening now with the UK water companies who have had to put their rates up by a substantial percentage today (a friend of mine who works for United Utilities said a few years ago this would happen due to lack of investment from the privatised company).

18. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Söderholm
    Well, technically it does work already, if not in the UK then at least in other contries. Actually, the suppliers don't necessarily need their own infrastructure, they can share what is already there and just compete with their terms, just like the various phone service suppliers (surely that works in the UK?) using lines that are already laid.

Anyway, back to postal service, several overseas (meaning US and Canadian) etailers don't use the post office at all, they use courier companies like UPS, DHL etc, and that works, doesn't it? And they also hit the same mailbox, but not at the same time as RM.

Bad companies can be privately owned or public, they can be actual companies or parts of government, but the fact that they happen to be privately owned does not automatically make them bad (or good), and just because one thing has been done in a certain way for a long time, it does not mean it is the only or even the best way to do it [​IMG].

Btw, my three discs from Play arrived today, they took two weeks, when they usually take less than one!

19. James Reader

20. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Söderholm