Blood: The last vampire. Beautiful!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasTR, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ThomasTR

ThomasTR Auditioning

Blood is one of my favorite DvDs, if not my favorite. The digital transfer is perfect and the sound is amazing. If you like Anime, go get this Dvd right now. Its on the short side but well worth the money. For those of you who have seen it(progressive scan looks like High def compared to other dvds) what other animes have video that amazing? Half the movie is done with computers, the other half was hand drawn.

2. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

Yep, it's awesome alright.

Another Anime with great visuals is 'Macross Plus' which is a few years old now, but still one of my favourite series. It's got excellent music too.

'Ghost In The Shell' is good as well.

3. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

my only minor criticism (and this is not specific to this particular anime) is that the mouths don't verbalize to the words, it's just open/close. since this was both a japanese and english language "universal" track, and since so much money was pumped into it, the extra work on the mouths would have been cool.

excellent sound mix too.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Matching lipflaps isn't as important to the japanese as it is in the US, so to expect that from any japanese production is a bit much.

Jason

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I just wish it had a more complete story. It was so technically impressive and well done that I wanted to know much more about the world they had created.
    A good movie, and not a shabby DVD either. [​IMG]

6. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    This film was an experiment by Production I.G. They also did Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell. They are known for their extreme attention to detail. Think of Blood: The Last Vampire as sort of a technology demo to try out new tricks. That's why it is so short.

Most anime is not lip-synched. Check out Akira with the japanese track turned on for rare anime lip-synching.

Even though Blood's running time is short (approx. 45 min.), I love this film. The sound alone is awesome. That scene in the school clinic is pictures-falling-off-the-walls loud! The best Dolby Digital track I've ever heard. I use this as a demo for my sound system.

7. ThomasTR

ThomasTR Auditioning

They might have done well sales wise, i hope they will make more anime using that technique. I would love to see a prequel to Blood.

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

As far as I know, the subject was done on multiple media formats. Different parts of the story are portrayed in manga and a video game. (I think the video game is the prequel, but don't quote me.)

a link to the site for the manga:

http://series.viz.com/blood/blood.html

Jason

9. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I remember it as being the best anime I'd ever seen. But I also remember being at bit confused about a few points, especially at the end, most of which I'm sure was the intent of the film-makers. Was she herself a vampire? A hybrid? What was her realtionship with the government? Was she their experiment, or discovered by them and recruited? Why was the vampire trying to hitch a ride on that plane?

I also wish they'd have made several, and started from the beginning.. At least some prequels! I'd take those over the Star Wars ones anyday..

10. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

It's a decent piece of work but what, 45 minutes long? Waaaay overpriced. Rent it first if you haven't seen it.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

When credits started rolling 40 min in, I though perhaps what I had seen so far was an extended version of the pre-credits action sequence you see in so many action movies. To my dismay, it was the end credits. The package says 83 min. I have no idea where this figure comes from. Even if you add the movie, the featurette, the trailer and the Manga promo piece, you're still 10+ min short. I demand my extra 35 min of movie.

I loved the movie, but it doesn't really stand on its own. It seems like a tv pilot (with amazing production values), maybe. It sets something up that needs to be fully exploited.

12. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

yes, 45 min is a bit expensive, but the way i see it, i hardly ever watch a movie from beginning to end anyways (unless people are over). whenever i pop in a disc it's always to watch the best part(s), which is probably less than 40 min. however with Blood, i can watch the whole thing because it's so cool.

13. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

You guys don't read the anime threads do you?

First, a Japanese animated "movie" ranges from 5min to 2.5 hours. Usually short animated movies, less than 1 hour of length or double or tripled billed with other animated movies as a package. So, Blood: The Last Vampire was double billed with another short movie. I don't know what it is off the top of my head. But the minutes of a movie is what it is... You are seeing that correctly.

Second, mouth lipflaps don't match in Japan because 1) unlike America, the ADR is done after the animation is completed not before...only Akira was acted out first prior to the animation, which is why the lips actually matched; 2) there tends to be last minute changes in dialogue usually at the director's discretion or screenwriter or whomever...so it is up to the voice actor to do his or her best job to keep with the mouth movements whether the dialogue is longer or shorter than the original dialogue.

Lastly, Blood: The Last Vampire movie is in a series of lines of PSX games, novels, manga and the whole 9 yards. That is why you don't have backstory or conclusion because production expects you to have either 1) read up on it, and 2) play the game to find out what happens next or whatever. Also, in addition, Production I.G. will have a sequel (indirect, direct, TBD) to be released this year, 2003, to be released in Japan. Do expect it.

14. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer