Blood Rayne

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_lb, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I consider myself a fan of both vampire games and WWII games, so I thought I'd give this game a shot. After a few days of playing time, I have concluded that this is one of the worst games I have played in recent memory. It is right up there with Turok: Evolution for my vote of worst major title of the year.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Can you explain why you feel that way? [​IMG] I've just played teh demo, but I didn't come away with that impression at all.
    -Dan

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I rented the Gamecube version. Horrible graphics, horrible control, horrible story. Tough to find a bright spot. The worst part is how it feels like none of the attacks are connecting, then all of a sudden the bad guy dies. it's very odd.

-Dave

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I played the demo first as well and enjoyed it (hence the reason I bought the actual game). The level in the demo is not representative of the rest of the game. The first act places you in the Bayou of Louisiana (which looks terrible by the way) and is incredibly boring. The second act places you in the level available on the demo. The third act places you in some kind of underground labyrinth (which is horrible as well). The final act places you inside a huge Nazi castle overridden by mutants (they seem to be in just about every game these days). I was unimpressed overall due to the:

Lack of quality graphics
    Lack of quality sound
    Lack of plot
    absurd number of enemies to take on at once

It seems like the developers just wanted to capitalize on the extreme violence and vulgarity (i.e., swearing) to sell titles. That in and of itself won't do it. You actually need a plot and good gameplay as well (see GTA:VC).

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I enjoyed it, except for the terrible first level.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I didnt think it was that bad [​IMG]
    It does turn into a button-masher. But you are correct that the polygons on the screen dont always seem to match up to the action. I kind of liked the adult humor (try walking up to doors to hear guards tell dirty jokes)