What's new

BLOOD ALLEY (1955) coming from WAC in July (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
BLOOD ALLEY (1955)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
Run Time 115:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 Stereo - English
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.55:1
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features
Theatrical Trailer (HD); Two "Behind the Camera" Featurettes from the Warner Bros. Presents Tv Series; Newsreels

“Powder your nose, baby,” the craggy-voiced skipper bellows. “We’re coming into Hong Kong.” Getting there wasn’t easy for wily Merchant Marine Capt. Tom Wilder. But it’s exciting – and all an action fan might expect from a movie teaming legends John Wayne, Lauren Bacall and director William A. Wellman. Wilder braves dangerous waters and pursuing Red Chinese forces while steering a boatload of Chinese refugees and a doctor’s daughter (Bacall) along a 300-mile waterway to freedom’s shores. Wellman and his crew cram the CinemaScope frame with riches both scenic (Northern California locales authentically stand in for the Formosa Straits) and action-packed. This ship is under full steam. Destination: Blood Alley

19225042_10155419802551563_2664230436031420259_n.jpg

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Always enjoyed watching this as a double feature with The Sea Chase. Very happy these two fine WB films are getting released onto high def!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I have this on DVD and its very enjoyable. I hope the image transfer is a nice step up.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I ran a 4-Track Magnetic Stereo print of this about 20 years ago and I remember the sound was excellent.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Blood Alley was written as a vehicle for Robert Mitchum. I don't remember why he had to bow out but it was then given to the Duke, who was wrong in the part.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Blood Alley was written as a vehicle for Robert Mitchum. I don't remember why he had to bow out but it was then given to the Duke, who was wrong in the part.

BATJAC (John Wayne's production company) at first wanted Humphrey Bogart for the role. They were hoping for another successful teaming of "Bogie and Bacall". But his salary demands were too much, so John Wayne next went with Robert Mitchum. However, Mitch didn't get along at all with the director, and "Wild" Bill Wellman basically told Duke, "it's either him or me". Production was too far along to find another leading man, so Duke had no choice but to step into the role himself. From the finished product, I can definitely see this role better suited for Bogart or Mitchum, more so than John Wayne.

That said, it is still an enjoyable film, and I really look forward to watching it on BD next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks