Blocking a port = more LOW bass?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClaudeL, Feb 14, 2002.

1. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

Hi all!
    I have a Paradigm PS-1000 v.3 subwoofer. I like pretty much this baby. It has three 3.5" ports. For now, I dont find that it plays loud in the 20-35 Hz region.
    I read in this site that you can tune a SVS 20-39CS+ to 16 Hz. You can do that by blocking one of the three ports. If I do the same thing with mine? If I block one port, will the low ends (20-35 Hz) will be more powerfull? I do it right now and I'M playing some winamp radio. I dont know if its an illusion but when I put the 35 Hz test tone, I feel that everything shake more (not so much) [​IMG] I didnt test yet with some 20 or 25 Hz test tone. But I'm gonna do it soon.
    Do I dream or what's happening is true? Share your ideas!
    ... And what about blocking TWO ports??....

2. ClaudeL

Pleaaase tell me!

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I think the PS1000 is a bandpass....hard to say what might happen....shove something in there and find out[​IMG]
    TV

4. ClaudeL

[​IMG] LOOOL!!!!! [​IMG]
    I prefer to don't do that!! [​IMG] I took a look inside of the sub and the woofer doesn't seem to move more even if the "LOW END" bass is louder. Definitivly, I found that my 30 test tones or some LOW bass test were stronger than before. But in other way, I found that bass higher than 40 Hz sounded less powerfull. It's supposed to do that right? But I dont know if it could be dangerous to do that... blocking a port on the PS-1000 v.3 subwoofer.
    "Out topic" subject...
    =======================
    Some of you are thinking again that the PS-1000 v.3 has 130W RMS of power. I say this because in a certain post, someone answered me that it has 130W RMS. But youre wrong. In this new version #3, the PS-1000 has a 175W RMS amp and I think that Paradigm tweaked it a bit. I just know one thing: I listened one time to the first version and let me tell you that the one I have, is MOOOOORE powerfull and it seems to push a cleaner bass output.
    =End of this "out topic" subject= [​IMG]