1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Blockers Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Todd Erwin

Blockers Blu-ray Review
    [​IMG]

Blockers tries too hard to be a raunchy sex comedy about both the three girls who form a sex pact on prom night and their parents trying to stop the pact from happening. The result is a painfully unfunny comedy that overstays its welcome very quickly.

[review]

Rodney likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I saw it with MoviePass and it exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations. I didn't think it was the greatest comedy ever, and it's not something I ever need to see again, but I remember laughing a few times in theaters. For me, if memory serves, the biggest problem was pacing - it seemed like the movie had a hard time sustaining momentum and moving from sequence to sequence. I couldn't tell if it was a matter of poor construction in the writing phase, or if the the fault of the film's first-time director. But whichever it was, my overall verdict is closer to "uneven" than "bad". It's probably still better as a streaming rental than a lifetime purchase.

But John Cena cracked me up more often than not in his role.

TravisR likes this.
  3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    In looking at the overall reviews, from both critics and moviegoers, I think Blockers is a film you either love or hate. Unfortunately, I hated it and never laughed or even cracked a smile once.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I can see that. I think that my perspective on it would be completely different if I "had" to watch it, or if I had gone in with any kind of expectation. On the day I saw it, I think the thought process was, "I have two hours to kill before I have to start making dinner, I haven't left the house all day, it'll be good to get out." I went in with absolutely no expectation, and that may have helped. I often don't like what I'd call "stupid" comedies so I'm not sure why this one amused me.

I have had comedies where I just didn't enjoy anything in it, not even a little. I remember being dragged to see the "Borat" movie with my brothers and friends and I didn't laugh once.

5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Don't let @Ronald Epstein hear that - I think he absolutely loved that movie..... :rolleyes:

But to each his own....

6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Haha... I was literally the only person in the sold-out showing not laughing at Borat, so I know I'm in a very, very tiny minority on that one. But ultimately, I knew it wasn't the movie for me going in, so I have no one to blame but myself for actually going. Blockers was the rare movie where I thought it wasn't going to be for me, and apparently it was. But I don't think it would hold up on a second viewing for me.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I thought it was a silly but fun way to spend 90 minutes.

Doug Wallen and Josh Steinberg like this.
  8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I actually liked it more the 2nd time. The movie packs in a lot of small bits around the edges that you might not catch the 1st time.

Like you, I'm not a Borat fan, but I liked "Blockers" a lot. Cena is worth the price of admission alone!

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Like The Rock, he's a charismatic and fun in his roles. Now that I think about it, I like way more movies with John Cena than I do with The Rock.

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Agree. Johnson showed potential for a while but he seems "stuck" - I've seen no real growth in his talent as an actor, whether comedic or dramatic.

Cena, on the other hand, really shines in "Blockers". Everyone else does fine, too, but Cena shows immense comedic talent and creates a lot of laughs all on his own...

TravisR likes this.