Blockbuster's leftovers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry W, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

I just got Castawys on DVD this afternoon at B/B FOR 15.00 PRESV/VEIWED.Got Toy story /Toy story 2 last week for 18.00 from B/B last week.These are alright arn't they?They don't disapate like VHS do they?
    ------------------
    HEW,JR

2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Dissapate? No, PVD (Previously Viewed Discs or DVD's) are perfectly fine. Often they are a better deal than one can hope for, having been discounted and not even rented! I've bought many a PVD from my store and they've been great!
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

3. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

Yes. They're fine but because they're previously viewed, you might want to check for scratches. I have a whole bunch of them and never had problems with them yet. However, I personally wouldn't pay more than $10 for previously viewed.
    [Edited last by donovan_chin on September 15, 2001 at 11:30 PM]

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    DVDs don't degrade over time like VHS tapes do. As long as there's nothing physically wrong with the disc (like a scratch or a crack), a previously-viewed DVD will work as well today as it did when it was new.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I don't buy any used items unless the person at the cashwrap allows me to open the package up and inspect the condition of the disc personally. If it has any scratches or is otherwise a problem, I just don't buy it.
    Any store that wraps up a used DVD (or other item, like a videogame) once has the ability to do so again, so they shouldn't object...unless they have something to hide.
    I also check the condition of the insert(s), but that's just me! [​IMG]
    Oh, and about the prices the first poster gives: they're not entirely out of line. A tad on the high side, but the 2nd one IS for 2 films, after all. Acceptable, IMHO.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 16, 2001 at 06:51 AM]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on September 16, 2001 at 06:53 AM]

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Wow, the last few times I've been to BB to check out thier for sale section, most of the DVDs were more or as expensive as brand new copies. For example, I saw Snatch for $29.99(canadian of course) at BB, while at Futureshop it was $25.99 brand new.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I honestly wouldn't worry about inspecting them in the store. Blockbuster has a guarantee on all of their discs and you can always take it back. Of course, I've never had a problem with the few discs I have there. But $15 seems a bit high for Castaway. My Blockbuster had it for $12.99 today with $2 off brings it to $10.99.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Just as long as the store, or chain in this case, insures the discs playability, then buying used from them is a wise move. Hollywood Video offers a lifetime guarentee on their videos but I don't know about Blockbuster.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

9. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I prefer Hollywood Video because they don't scrawl all over the tops of the discs with marker. However a lot of thier keepcases are missing the chapter list on the inside. Drives me up the wall!
    Good prices though. Got Charlie's Angels for $10.
    ------------------
    "What if he honks in the car?"
    "I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

10. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for the mistype guys.Castaway was 12.99,not 15 like I wrote earlier. [​IMG]Late nite last nite when I typed [​IMG].
    ------------------
    HEW,JR