Blockbusters $24.99 Monster ETC rental deal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Silla, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Same promotion as was run with Lord of the Rings. I am going to pick this rental card up again. I hope Blockbuster continues to make these offers. Even with the mandatory 1 rental a week requirement (with subsequent loss of rental if you don't use it that week) it still works out to a "steal of a deal" for me.

Michael.

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

The manager at the store I go to said they should have them any day now. But I'm not even done with my LOTR card yet. Will they have the same rule as LOTR where the first week is effective the day you buy it (vs the first time you use it)?

LOTR cards didn't seem to sell well; I expect Monsters Inc to do better; Shrek cars sold out quickly.

3. Michael Silla

Yup, as soon as you buy it, your ten weeks start. I'm gonna wait till next week before "taking the plunge."

I'm surprised the LOTR cards didn't do well. One of the better deals out there in my book.

Michael.

4. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

The LOTR cards sold out in my area.

Jim

5. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

I'm there! I was hoping they'd do it for "Monster's Inc."
    Wait, you do mean Monster's Inc. Right?[​IMG]

6. Bryan Chew

Bryan Chew Auditioning

In California, there is no expiration on the Monsters 10 rental card so you can use up your rentals anytime you want until all 10 are used. The only restriction is that you can only use 1 rental off the Monsters card per week. I don't know all the details, but generally speaking, there is a law in California that prohibits the expiration of pre-paid gift cards. I guess that is another reason to move to California [​IMG]

7. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

As I did for FOTR, I'll be picking this up as well. I especially love how how these prepaid rentals count towards free rentals if you're a Rewards member. Makes the deal even sweeter. [​IMG]

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Bryan, yes, it's true (or at least that's what the BB employee told me) but once you rent one, that's the start of your 10 weeks. If you rent the first one then don't rent one every week for 10 weeks, you lose those rentals.

But it is a good strategy if you have the LOTR card and want to finish it up without doubling up or overlapping on rentals during the week. For my family, it's hard to see more than one rental a week especially if it's R rated (kids in bed).

I agree, it's a great promotion. I look it as a $2.50 rental vs. $3.79 and getting LOTR and Monster's Inc free!

Bob

9. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I just bought this card. Great deal! I wish I had known about this sooner because I spent around $20 renting DVDs with the "3 movies for $9.99" deal in the past month. I usually rent from a $1.50 Mom and Pop store, but there are some DVDs they don't have.

In my store, there is a white board that states that the rentals do not have to be in consecutive weeks.

~T

10. Bryan Chew

Bryan Chew Auditioning

Bob,

The Blockbuster I went to in Castro Valley said that the weeks do not have to be consecutive once you start and you will not lose any rental credits. I asked them specifically and the example they told me is that you can rent 1 in week 1, rent 2 in week 2, and then wait a year and then rent 3 a year from now, etc. I guess I'll find out once I activate my card.

Bryan

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    2 states have a law that has something to do with that.
    hawaii and ca i think

12. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

As stated earlier, in CA you don't have to get a video per week. You have 2 years to get your 1 free per week up to 10 free rentals. Also, if you got LOTR rental card, you can "double dip" with Monsters Inc. card and get 2 rentals per week because of the way Blockbuster has their computers set up. (I got this directly from the Manager today when I bought my Monster's Inc. card).
    [​IMG]

13. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I figured you could "double dip" w/LOTR and MI, but the BB monkey indicated that it was 10 consecutive weeks. You know how reliable they are...[​IMG] I'll ask a manager next time I return the movies. Thanks for the tip.
    Bob

14. Michael Silla

Finally picked mine up.

The Blockbuster dude said that the 10 weeks HAD to start once you picked up the card, not with your first rental. Is this just a Utah thing or are others being forced into this as well? (I was with my FOTR card but since I actually wanted a rental that day I didn't mind so much).

Michael.

15. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Well, just to muddy the waters some more...
    I went to pick up a card at a local BB today (So Cal). I put the card on the counter, when the girl went to ring it up she said she would credit my account with the information so I didn't have to use the card. She said the card was limited to 10 consecutive weeks but by noting on my account that I had purchased it, I didn't have that limitation and I didn't have to use the card to get the deal.
    So I guess I have an electronic card of sorts. Of course, I will keep my receipt as well. [​IMG]
    -Keith

16. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I bought one of these the other day and I can't believe how good a deal this is (if you know how to use it). Turns out they do count for rewards rentals (as stated above), but also you can get free-favorites Mon-Wed with the rental card! I come every Tues and get one new release and one favorites DVD totally free! I haven't paid for a rental since I bought the card. When it's all said and done I will have received 22 free rentals for 24.95. (10 on the card, 10 favorites, plus 2 more from rewards "rent 5 in a month deal). I wish I knew that about the LOTR cards!

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

They've sucked me back in for Monster's Inc, and my LOTR card hasn't expired yet. I do wonder if they'll run another card immediately after this one.

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

What is this free favorites Mon-Wed deal?

~T

19. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

If you're a BB Rewards member, you get a free Favorites rental (anything not on the New Releases Wall) with a New Release rental Mondays through Wednesdays.

Since the prepaid card acts towards Rewards membership, you can get free Favorites rentals M-W if you use your Monster's Inc pre-paid rental card to rent New Releases.

Great deal!

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Does it cost anything to become a Rewards member?

~T