What's new

BLOCKBUSTER: Why the bad rap? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I don't normally rent that much (but I will for the next 9 week to get my LOTR disk :D) so BB is a minor influence.
Their selection stinks, but I tend to buy the more obscure films I want to see anyway. I rarely rent new releases until they become 5-day titles. 4 bucks for 5 days ain't bad.
I've been leery of going back to Netflix because of bad experiences with them reactivating my account every time I revisit their site, without my actually wanting to do so. I just clicked on the link for more information about rental plans and was greeted with a message saying my account was activated and my account would be charged 19.95 starting immediate. I immediately canceled and sent a few strongly worded messages to their customer service department. To their credit, they credited my card immediately but it shouldn't have been charged on the first place.
This actually happened twice. Both times I was clicking on links that, in my mind, in no way indicated my consent to start up my account again.
I would love to go back to a service like Netflix, but I don't trust them anymore.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You might also want to mention that they censor NON-NC17 movies as well.Anyone remember Titanic: Blockbuster edition w/o the boobs?
Reference, please? The BB-edited-Titanic story is an urban legend. There were a couple of mom & pop stores in Utah, I believe, that were editing the film on their own, not Blockbuster.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I must admit, I've been tempted by the LOTR deal(I did the Shrek one a few months back), but reading all these comments has renewed by disgust with BB.
However the biggest deal for me they offer is the used DVDs.
If you use Columbia House, with all the great advice from DVDTalk's DVDClubs forum, you can get your DVDs new for under ten bucks. You have to wait three months for a new DVD to be an emrollment, but considering how much you'll save, it's worth a 90 day wait.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I want to hate them, but the one by my house has knowledgeable employees, 70% DVD, 100% widescreen.

I won't support them without a promotion though (I'm currently doing the LOTR thing) as the whole monopoly thing bothers me.

I wish i had a local video store I could go to. Mostly now, I buy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't rent DVDs. But when I hear the word "Blockbuster," I think of Warner in bed with this video giant, sacraficing the artistic integrity of Eyes Wide Shut by forcing digital "people" in the mansion scene, and thus achieving the "R" rating necessary for the video chain to support its home release.

No hard evidence here, but a lot of well-founded talk.

And then there's that ludicrous AFI scheme--"100 Best" lists that get their own TV specials, all with a view toward increasing the foot traffic in Blockbuster.

Me? DVD Empire. One happy customer.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jack, I must disagree with you on this point. While I have no love for BB - I haven't rented from them in years, there is a local shop that I can use if I feel the need to rent something - you can't lay the blame for the EWS "digital people" fiasco entirely on their feet. Warner could have - and *should* have - made two versions available: the original "theatrical" R-rated cut (for BB and others) and the original NC-17 (or unrated) "international" cut. Why they didn't do this and appease everyone is still a total mystery. I used to work with (and for) Warner Home Video from 1993-1999 (until just after the theatrical release of EWS - at that time there was serious inside talk that the DVD would contain both versions), their corporate decisions were, to put it nicely, strange at times.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Blockbuster has never ever censored a movie. They simply don't carry NC-17 or X-rated movies. Since they are the largest rental chain out there studios cut and resubmit their movies for Blockbuster.

My local Blockbuster actually carries a decent selection of unrated horror 80s/gore movies that seem to violate their policy, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Blockbuster is an easy target. They're a huge corporation and most of the stuff being said on this thread is indeed true. But they stock many copies of movies, and for new releases they simply cannot be beat by anyone, period. As for more obscure titles you are better off with Netflix.

As for the employees, some are very knowledgeable, while others aren't. Most of the employees at local stores around here seem to be around high school/college age anyways. For them I'm sure it's just a part time job they took because it's close. Would you expect a cashier at a supermarket to be extremely knowledgeable about vegetables?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Why would I stock stuff no one rents?
I would rent this stuff that you and Blockbuster so callously disregard. I don't remember the last time that I browsed the new release section. Most new movies, hold very little interest to me.

I'll close by saying this. Blockbuster has alienated me so much that I don't think they could ever win me back. I was given a card w/ 20 FREE rentals when I opened a local bank account. I took it home and shredded it. I don't know what it would take for them to win me back, but it won't be easy.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember the last time that I browsed the new release section. Most new movies, hold very little interest to me.
Eric, that was not very nice.

You need to get out from under your rock and realise that you are vastly outnumbvered as far as movies tastes go, hence my remark.

Another drawback that was not mentioned and that I found yesterday at my own expense: No DTS titles. I bought A Beautiful Mind yesterday for $15 before I realised it was DD only. Being a Dreamworks title, I am sure there is a DTS version of it. Oh well...

--
Holadem

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
You need to get out from under your rock
Now, who's not being nice?

Sorry if I was harsh, and I realize that I'm in a minority. I'm not trying to attack anyone, but saying that nobody rents those movies is a gross overstatement. I know a lot of people that like to hunt around for the smaller movies and if they aren't going to carry the movies that I like, then I'm not going to go there. Keep in mind, that at one time, I was a huge Blockbuster fan and this was primarily due to the vast selection of classic and hard to find movies. I used to stop at Blockbusters when I was out of town to see what they had. It makes me angry that they've run all of the small guys out of town, and now they are paring down their selection.

I watch a fair amount of newer films, but I'm very thorough in going through the extras, so I usually just buy the disc, since it would cost me twice as much to rent it for a long enough period of time.

It angers me that pretty soon, my only options for watching older films, will be to buy them or catch them on TV. Renting these titles won't even be an option except through Netflix, but I'm not sure that I want the hassle of renting through the mail.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
However the biggest deal for me they offer is the used DVDs. Harry Potter, A Beautiful Mind, Ali, and many other relatively new releases etc... all for $14.99 a few weeks after release, sometimes less than a month after (ABM for example).
Not such a great deal. I got Harry Potter for $10 and change at K-Mart, the day it came out, NEW not used. In Widescreen DVD, thanks to the CompUSA promo and a friendly price-match.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Not such a great deal. I got Harry Potter for $10 and change at K-Mart, the day it came out, NEW not used. In Widescreen DVD, thanks to the CompUSA promo and a friendly price-match.
Yes, but for those of us who no longer have K-Mart or a internet (American at that) price-matching store, it's a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks