Blockbuster Website - Am I missing something

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric_Connelly, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

ok...for years, literally, we check Blockbusters web site on Tuesdays to see what new is out.

So....unless I am competely blind from the point in time that Blockbuster went to the new website they do not bother to update the site with new releases until they are a month old.

The last movie they show as new is Saw on 2/15...its almost April. I've tried this on 3 computers with IE and Firefox so I know its not a browser problem.

I'm assuming I'm crazy and no way in the world would the largest rental company in the US not show whats coming out.

Any help?

Thanks

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Use Amazon, Netflix, DeepDiscountDVD or our very own Weekly Round-Up in the Coupons/Bargains section!

3. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

My local Blockbuster is terrible, so I do not expect much from their website. They apparently rent out I Heart Huckabees, but there's no spot for it out on the shelves. It seems you have to ask for it!

Their catalog selection is also atrocious. Most of the films I want to see are not carried by Blockbuster, and are things like The Great Escape, Barry Lyndon, Before Sunset, etc. Definately by no means even close to obscure films!

After being a customer for over a decade, I am really thinking of going to Hollywood Video. They have much better prices and it seems better choices in what to rent.

4. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

I recall they did this once for another film because they could not get a good bulk discount from the distributor. I think it was American Beauty on VHS.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I dunno about the stores, since I don't go there... but I have personally rented Great Escape and Before Sunset from Blockbuster Online, and their site shows Barry Lyndon available.

Of course, with the size of the catalog of films currently available on DVD and the finite amount of shelf space in the corner rental location, I would say Great Escape, Barry Lyndon and Before Sunset are absolutely obscure films.

I cannot imagine using shelf space on something that might get rented once a month when each copy of your new release films will be moving at ten times that rate.

Just the reality of the sitaution. If you want selection, try one of the many online rental houses, including blockbuster.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have been using BB Online since last summer. It had been pretty good for me. But during the last few weeks availabilty has really gotten poor. I have 22 movies in my queue and only 2 show as available. The rest are either short wait, long wait or very long wait. If they don't improve soon, I will probably cancel.

7. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I am not a fan of renting online. I like to enjoy rentals instantly. I like to be able to walk into a store and walk out with what I want to see.

8. TerryPM

TerryPM Agent

I had belonged to Blockbuster online a few montha ago. The one feature I likes was that they actually had an upcoming release section which was good, as opposed to Netflix. I just signed up again the the upcoming release section is gone, the new releases section hasn't been updated for a month, and the top 10 selections in my queue are on wait list. This is how Netflix was when they started expanding too quickly, and the reason I quit them. Guess it's time to quit Blockbuster again.

9. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I left Blockbuster for Hastings around 1997 when their market practices really began to stink. I'm really surprised they're still around.