Blockbuster Wants an End to Rental Windows

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Overduin, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

My, My! How times have changed! The evil conglomerate that was exceedingly late getting into DVD; the devil itself that was reported at one time to be seeking a share in DIVX; the big corporate cry-baby that moaned about cannibalization of VHS and shrinking revenue...I could go on as anyone can who has followed DVD from it's inception.
    Now this:
    http://www.videobusiness.com/news/03...co_windows.asp

2. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Wow....looks like I can end my boycott

3. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Wow, it's about time someone at BB came to their senses.

4. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

sounds very fishy to me... like they wanna end rental windows so that they pay less for vhs, and then they can sell the used vhs's two weeks after release and make much more money.. kinda like what they do with some of their big title dvds. (Fast and the furious, etc)

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well, I still won't end my boycott until they stop their silly ban on NC-17 rated movies. This cracked me up though:

"If you want to buy it, you can buy it from us or buy it from them. If you want to rent it, you can rent it from us, and we'll let the consumer choose."

Meaning they STILL want to be the ONLY place to rent movies.

It is good to hear someone from Blockbastard thinking this way, but I've still been concerned about Di$ney, Dreamwork$ and now Univer$al putting out discs above the $30 price point, even though Fox seems to have seen the light and quit doing that.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yeah, they've come to their financial senses, alright. Without a rental window, they can rent out any and everything and pocket all of it.

I thing they're worried about what happened in Australia. This way they won't get stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Glenn

7. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

what happened in austrailia?

8. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Well I gotta say I've been pretty impressed with BB's conduct of late. If they keep this up, I might have to pare down my shit list to just Wal-Mart and Warner[​IMG]

9. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

I think the reference to what happened in Australia was that Warners tried to introduce two-tier pricing on its titles. One price (c.$A80) was for a rental version while the other (c.$A30) was for a sell through version. Both were released on the same day. Warner justified this on the grounds that DVDs were 'software'

However, a court struck this policy down meaning that us Aussies now get lots of rental windows for (generally) obscure and/or crap titles (Freddy Got Fingered springs to mind) but most titles remain sell-through only which means that Blockbuster misses out.

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Thanks, Sam. What that means here in the US of A is that software cannot be rented. By eliminating the rental fees charged by the studios they just make more. I think I have this right.

Glenn