Blockbuster to rent The Grinch in P&S ONLY....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry S, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Barry S

Barry S Stunt Coordinator

Apparently the Mummy Returns formula is being repeated for The Grinch. I'm not sure if this is just my store or if it is nationwide, but it seems that Blockbuster will only be carrying only the Full Screen version of The Grinch DVD. I know this because I work at Blockbuster (which I hate to admit as BB is such a vilified organization around here). I stopped by tonight to see what movies arrived from distribution and saw that we got in the VHS copies of The Grinch. I didn't notice any DVDs, so I looked up the title in the computer and saw that we hadn't recieved any yet. It said that there were about 20 copies on order, however it was the Full Screen version only. Not just for rental either, but for sale also! Blockbuster apparently won't rent The Grinch in widescreen and won't sell it either. So, in order to see The Grinch in OAR, I'm going to have to go to another video store.
    Just because I work for this evil company doesn't mean I like them. I hate them as much as the rest of you. I just work there because I get free movies and it's close to my house. This really sucks though. Damn you, Universal for releasing seperate widescreen and full screen versions and damn you, Blockbuster for carrying only the full screen!
    [Edited last by Barry S on November 08, 2001 at 02:24 AM]

2. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Kind of makes you wonder why they bother carrying DVD's at all when 70% of them are widescreen only.
    What would happen if the Grinch wasn't in Pan & Scan? Would they not have carried it at all?
    Logic is out the window here.
    Jeff

3. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

~ Barry I'll give you a few bucks if you send them back to BB corp, and tell them nobody wants to rent the P&S versions !
    Anybody else want to chip in on our BB employee infiltration group ?
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

My local blockbuster said the same thing about Jurassic Park 3, only P&S. We're in a pretty upscale area, and the manager is receiving tons of complaints about the P&S-only Mummy Returns DVDs, but his hands appear to be tied. He's attempting to special order some widescreen copies, but I guess the corporate stores don't give much leeway to the managers.

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    He he, imagine that!
    This is what i'm wondering, why do we here in the forum, insist on concerning ourselves with these losers. To hell with Blockbuster!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

6. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I guess there is some advantage to patronizing franchise operations rather than company owned stores, because at least one of the Blockbusters in my area (Huntsville, AL) has ONLY widescreen copies of The Mummy Returns. I obviously don't know yet what the situation will be for the Grinch, but they don't have any P&S copies of Mummy. But then again, they only have P&S copies of Cats and Dogs, but that may be due to the later release date for the widescreen version, thanks to Warner's moves.
    On the other hand, this franchise operation did not participate in the recent "30 movies for 30 bucks" special that company owned stores ran. Given a choice, I think I'd have to say that I much prefer the availability of widescreen movies to an occasional break on rental pricing. After all, if the movies are only going to be available in P&S, then I won't be renting anything anyway!
    SteveK

7. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Not that it'll do any good, but I just sent BB corporate e-mail to show our disdain for this practice.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    BB will not see my money. Neither will Walmart, or Circuit City for their past and present DVD practices.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I canceled my BB memberships way back.
    I'd rather buy a OAR DVD for $20.00 then support the death star of rental shops with my $4.00.
    Let J6P rent his P&S just as long as they sell the WS OAR DVDs.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

10. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    quote...
    "the death star of rental shops"
    ROTFLMAO!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Too bad their's no main reactor to fly into and blow THAT sombitch up!
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 08, 2001 at 03:40 PM]

12. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Sounds like a change in policy at BB. If a Pan & Scam copy is out there that is the only one they want to carry.
    Look at what have they graced us with so far in P&S only?
    The Mummy Returns
    Cat's and Dog's
    Hannibal
    Jurrasic Park 3
    and now The Grinch!!!
    Looks like a new battle for us.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie
    [Edited last by Oswald Pascual on November 08, 2001 at 03:40 PM]

13. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

"there is no reason why both versions can't be stocked"
    sure there is- it's been covered everytime the BlockBuster issue comes up. You are going to have to accept the fact that they view DVD as a cheaper/smaller/newer version of VHS, and they are not committed to filmbuffs, videophiles, or really anyone who even knows what OAR means. It flat out sucks, which is why the hobbyist/enthusiest have written them off.
    the alternative, if you can't afford to buy them new, is to either by them used online, or support a local video store- perhaps even a place where you can talk to someone who actually orders inventory and see what's up, possibly making suggestions.
    accept this:
    Blockbuster doesn't give a rat's ass about you. Ultimately, your money means dick to them, there are millions of americans who will line their coffers for the latest pan and scanned micahel bay flick.
    why people continue to bitch about blockbuster, walmart, and any other McGiant amazes me. As an enthusiest, you have to be aware of MUCH better resources than Blockbuster- leave the drive-through to the people who don't care, provided the black bars are gone.

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Obi-Wan...
    "That's not a moon, it's a BlockBuster."
    Han...
    "It's too big to be a BlockBuster!"
    Luke...
    "Why are we still moving towards it!?"
    Han...
    "Were caught in their late fee tractor beam, they're pulling us in! Hang on! They're not gonna get me without a fight!"
    Obi-Wan...
    "You can't win, but their ARE alternatives to renting."
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry, but that killed me!
    ------------------
    God bless you.
    God keep you.
    God help you!!!
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 08, 2001 at 03:55 PM]
    [Edited last by John Williamson on November 08, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

15. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

16. Bryan Farris

Bryan Farris Agent

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume he meant the MGM release of "Silence of the Lambs"

17. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Hasn't anyone noticed that "Mummy Returns", "Grinch" and JP3 are all Univercal releases? Maybe they're the ones pushing BB to stock pan n' scam?

18. andrew steven wells

Blockbuster-"We're on a movie renting mission..."
    Darth vader-"You are part of the Pan and scan alliance and a traitor! take them away!"
    [Edited last by andrew steven wells on November 08, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

19. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

One of the first, and currently largest renter of DVDs in the Burnaby/Vancouver area of BC is an avid OAR/anamorphic...blah...blah supporter.
    However, he has noticed one or two things, and chief amongst that is this: people who rent, want P&S, people who buy want widescreen.
    In fact, he has broken it down even more than that, being in an area with heavy ethnic minority concentrations (he himself is Lebanese), among which he has noticed further tendancies.
    Why people want to rent P&S, but buy widescreen is curious, but I understand his, and BB's attitude. There are still FAR too many people who, having evolved from VHS to DVD, still think that DVD is only VHS, but better. I know many people who rent DVD, but do not have any HT system to speak of. BB employees, as well as those from Walmart and most cideo stores, are as silly as the customers who come back and complain about the 'black bars.' The only way to solve the problem is to simply not carry widescreen rental product. No angry customers, no returns.
    How many of us complain about the absence of 'black bars.'
    I am curious though, why anyone would rent, and not buy 'The Grinch' anyway? [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Peter Overduin on November 08, 2001 at 07:38 PM]

20. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

"I am curious though, why anyone would rent, and not buy 'The Grinch' anyway?"
    Let me say that I rent on a regular basis. I refuse to rent Mummy Returns due to it being only available to rent in P&S here, though I did rent Cats & Dogs after hearing it was actually open matte (is this true...doesn't matter...I gave up on that flick after 15 minutes). Let's not start bashing people who rent. Some of us don't have the cash to buy every title we would like to watch. Even in today's bad economy, it irks me to see people questioning why anyone would want to rent a DVD. Some of us don't have $20 to burn on every disc that strikes our fancy.