What's new

Blockbuster to favor Blu-ray HD discs over DVD format (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Currently, HP is in the number one sales spot followed by Dell and Toshiba with Apple barely in the running.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
HP is number one, Dell number 2 and Toshiba number 3. Apple is not even in the running. The only difference is that Tosh seems to be commited to putting HD DVD in all laptops, Dell only offers BD as a high priced option only available on their high-end laptops. HP offers both HD and BD.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I doublechecked, it does look like there is at least one Toshiba HD DVD equipped laptop with a 1080p screen out now. It didn't show up on their site for some reason. They will have a few new ones this fall that will also sport 17" 1080p screens, and some with 15". It didn't specify if those would be 1080p, I doubt it just because it would be insanely small dpi for normal computer work. They have HDMI out, but only the highend (~$3000) one outputs 1080p, the others output 1080i.

It's basically not much different than the Sony's, HP's and Dell's out there already with BD or HD DVD drives.

All in all, laptops aren't going to win this war. They'll help with future acceptance much in the same way as DVD especially with burners, but at this stage in the game and with two formats, they are just an added cost and extra gadget to brag about. It still comes down to software and which is selling the most.

JackKay

Second Unit
I guess I'm sorry BB isn't letting the consumer make their own choice so early in this format mess. The software bought in bulk is a relatively cheap investment for a company that wants to be the place to go to for your home entertainment needs.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

You are right. Don't know how I missed Acer.
  • HP - Supports both HD and BD. Is currently offering a combo HD/BD is there high end laptops.
  • Dell - BD only as an option on only their high end laptops
  • Acer - Supports both HD and BD
  • Toshiba - HD only. Will be available (or included) on all laptops in 2008.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Why is it necessary to have a laptop with the capability of a 1080p display. Most current HD viewers are still watching on 720p displays in their homes and are quite pleased by it. SXGA (1280x1024) or above for standard displays or WXGA (1440×900) or above for widescreen display will work quite well. These screen resolutions are pretty much the norm on all but the lowest cost laptops.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Oh I didn't think laptops would have a huge effect on the over all war. But they might have as much effect as the PS3.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

This is quite true. 720p would probably be quite enough resolution for a 14 or 15 inch laptop screen.

Doug

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

format. mess.
they are house cleaning, and since they have the power, more power too them.
format. mess.
The hardware is

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

A little off topic but... what I want to know is how does HP get such a large market share? I don't know anyone who openly goes out to buy an HP computer. Corporate sales maybe??

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

What rock are you living under? LOL Goto any store that carries computers and you'll find more HP computers than any other brand. They make a very reliable laptop and are still the worlds largest seller of printers.

Doug

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They merged with (bought, whatever) Compaq / Digital Equipment.

At least the name Compaq must (still) mean anything to you?

Cees

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

So far I have three friends who bought PS3s for viewing BD in their HT systems: the PS3 was the purchase that caused me and these three friends to adopt a disc-based HD format. Haven't met anyone hooking their laptop up to their HT for HD DVD yet, though I do know of a few folks with the HD DVD add-on for the 360 (a better comparison to the PS3 than the laptop issue).

As prices drop on standalone BD players (like is already happening with the cheaper Sony) the PS3's early-effect we saw will wayne as folks choose even more affordable BD player options. If the PS3 has any "long term" effects it will depend on if Sony can get developers to release some games to extend PS3 penetration into the gaming market where it's "Trojan Horse" strategy would have a chance to be tested.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Finally got my response from BB Corporate today. :) Nothing new to add really. They are certainly leaving the door open but it's also contradictory....if they base their decision on rentals thru BB, then there's no way they'll change their stance-especially with 1,700 stores being Blu-ray exclusive. They're just being diplomatic and polite to us HD DVD chumps.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

The only way they'll change their mind is if the sales figures change. That's probably not going to happen. I'm certainly a glass is half full guy but this is big for Blu-ray and not so great for HD DVD. Momentum is everything and news like this is getting around. I was at Office Depot of all places today buying some ink for my printer and was discussing the new HD DVD laptops with one of their tech guys..."hey did you see where Blockbuster is going with Blu-ray" the young man proclaimed....

Yeah, I think heard something about that. ;) Damnit. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Well, I'm personally waiting to see what Graffeo intends to do about this PR disaster for HD-DVD besides spout rhetoric about consumers going with them because of "internet interactivity."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks