BLOCKBUSTER striles again: Pan & Scam GRINCH only

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
My local BB in Toronto is pulling the same crap. They've got over 20 copies, all P&S. The knowledgeable guy I talk to there said he thought they got one copy of the WS in, but it wasn't on the shelf. I had a very animated discussion with all the reps there, and they seemed sympathetic but indifferent. I tried to convince them that in the end, we have to educate Joe 6-Pack, or we're gonna lose the war against Pan&Scam. Their standard argument is that most people don't care, but the correct reponse is that if they DON'T care, give them the WS version!

Just when we thought we had won, BB starts fighting back for all the wrong reasons. We SERIOUSLY need a strong ad campaign to explain to people ONCE AGAIN why WS is better. We need celebrity filmmakers to explain it to them so they'll actually listen. For now, just keep making a big stink about it and maybe it'll get through.

For God's sake, there shouldn't even BE P&S versions. DAMMIT! Must we wait until everyone has an HDTV?

chris_sharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
My store got 300 copies WS and only 18 P&S.
We only got the P&S to get a cardboard standee. Have not sold a P&S copy yet, I try to drive customers towards the WS and away from the evil P&S copy.
My store rarely gets P&S versions and we usually send them back right away just so the movie companies see that P&S is not welcome in good stores.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
This is Universals fault!
It's not the fault of the video stores. Universal should have either widescreen only or widescreen and P&S together.
Universal and Warner are the only studios releasing seperate DVD's and because of this they are screwing the DVD renting public and the stores end up getting the blame.
Rarely do I ever hear complaints of Universal/Warner releasing P&S and WS DVD's seperately. This is the real issue! Retailers will almost always order the P&S copies for the ignorant masses, leaving the OAR educated out in the cold.
Planet of the Apes DVD, of course, is WS only and more copies of that movie were out at my local video store than Grinch. Hum...
I can't wait until Pearl Harbor comes out.

Jeff

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Ya know almost everyday I see people here bithching about blockbuster and what they can or can`t rent from there. Well here is an idea STOP GOING THERE! Problem solved.

Robert Drew

Auditioning
Reaction score
Yeah, not much may come of it, but companies do keep track of feedback from their customers. If enough people start sending in those cards on a regular basis, the message will get across. It may not be enough to stop the Pan&Scam tide, but it may be enough to ensure that there are always a few OAR versions on the shelves.
Just complaining about it here (and probably even emailing) does nothing to change the situation. We have to give direct feedback in written form. I send in a card each time I'm there!
So, keep them cards and letters coming kids!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Okay, give me an award for stupidity. I knew full well that Blockbuster was only renting the full frame Grinch. However, Thursday night I went to rent a stack of movies at Blockbuster. Without thinking I grabbed Grinch for my four-year-old. I brought it home, opened up the case and then screamed out loud. My son really wanted to see it, so I angrily set my Toshiba widescreen TV to "Theaterwide 2" (i.e. zoom) mode and let him watch it.
I place the blame mainly on Blockbuster, but partially on Universal as well. This is really starting to irk me.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
The Blockbuster in my neighborhood has the same issue - only P&S versions of this movie. Guess I'll be borrowing the OAR version from a relative so I can see this movie for the first time.

Even worse, BJ's has the same issue - only carrying P&S for sale (I've checked three of them in two states). Hope this doesn't become a constant challenge as BJ's usually has great prices on DVDs.

I do agree this is a Universal (Studios) problem too - wish everyone would either release only a WS version, or put both versions in the same case to avoid this issue.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
my neighborhood Blockbuster has only widescreen Grinch copies. I'm proud of them.
But then again, they only have pan and scan Cats and Dogs. I asked the clerk if they had any widescreen Cats and Dogs for sale. "Yeah, we have 5." *Buzzer* They were all pan and scan.
On a related note, I dropped into Circuit City this weekend also trying to find C&D widescreen. I asked a kid (16? 17?) they had any, and he gave me the "most family films are released p&s only", which actually didn't tick me off. I was actually happy that he knew this. Of course I then proceded to tell him about the widescreen C&D and Willy Wonka. Nice guy, I told him to join the HTF.

~~Nathan

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Bill Buklis
After visiting Blockbuster again yesterday I was disheartened by what I saw. They have about 20 copies or so of The Grinch, all "Full Screen" of course. But, only 2 copies were in.

The problem here is that people don't have a choice at BB. There's probably a lot of people who would prefer widescreen, but don't care that much and will rent it anyway.

I'm betting that if Blockbuster was brave enough to put out equal quantity of Widescreen and full frame and in such a way as to not mislead (yeah right, I know!), then more widescreen copies would be rented than full frame.

I for one will just not get it at all from BB if it's the wrong OAR, but not enough people are like me in this regard.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Same. I went to both blockbusters and hollywood video. Niether had WS of Grinch. Made me mad. I didn't want to buy it, and I told my room mate that I went to rent it and no one had it in widescreen. Next day I come home, and he has the VHS copy...go figure...dumb movie anyway.

I hope Jurassic Park 3 will be widescreen to rent, cause the movie isn't worth buying, and I want to see it OAR!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotorMikey