Blockbuster shelving only fullscreen Mummy...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aric, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Aric

Aric Auditioning

I do have a choice to go somewhere else. I know this. I've done Netflix. I do Hollywood. But Blockbuster is just too easy. It's two blocks over on the corner. It's just perfect. I can cruise over on my bike and pick up a flick whenever I feel. I wasn't even looking for The Mummy Returns. It just bugs me when I see 40 copies of the same movie all Fullscreen. Can you at least shelf one Widescreen? I bitched to the girl at the counter. I know it won't help, but hey, I feel better. Is this a sign of things to come?

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

When I went to Costco to get Terminator SE today, I noticed that the massive numbers of "Mummy Returns" copies were all fullscreen as well. The cardboard sleeve the DVDs came in partially obscured the "Full Screen" banner, so I'm sure a number of people bought this and found an unhappy surprise awaiting them. Funny, they had a bunch of leftover "Silence of the Lambs" discs-- all widescreen. Go figure.
    I'm glad there are dual releases, but I hate it when retailers or rental outlets decide to make that decision for us.

3. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I went to buy this at Circuit City, and they only carried the widescreen version. Good for them!
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.
    [Edited last by AaronMK on October 02, 2001 at 11:04 PM]

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Blockbuster carries the fullscreen version for rent, but only the widescreen version for sale.
    I work for them and this pisses me off too, and even voiced my opinion to corporate relations about it.
    But at least I could get the widescreen version for sale today.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

My local Hollywood Video had about 60 copies of The Mummy Returns DVD in stock for rent ...ALL of them the Full Screen Pan & Scan version. The tag on the bottom that said 'Full Screen' was also partially obscured. The only way I caught it was to look at the back, and then at all the spines.
    I asked the girl behind the counter if they had any widescreen for rent, and she said no -but said that everyone was looking for the widescreen version. She did not know the difference between the two, so I explained it to her quickly.
    Needless to say, I did not rent the P&S version. I went to Target and picked up a WS version instead for 17.99

6. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this has been asked in another thread but is the Mummy Returns "Full Frame" or "Pan & Scan".

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

8. Dedrick

Dedrick Agent

I went to Wal-Mart today and right through the front door was a huge stand-up with vhs and dvd in it. I had already looked online to see what the full-screen case looked like (the original Mummy was pan-and-scan when I bought it) so there were no mistakes. When I first looked, all I saw were full-screen versions. But upon further inspection they had a few rows of Widescreen. My local Wal-Mart always gets widescreen of everything (SOTL and Remember the Titans). I guess I'm lucky.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Keep your flippers off my stache.

9. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

The Mummy Returns was shot in the aspect ratio of 2.35:1 using an anamorphic lens (like The Mummy). Therefore the 1.33:1 composition is severely cropped.
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

10. Bruce Leonard

Rented fullscreen by mistake!!! @#%$^&&**?&
    Never thought to look at a release of this type.
    Put disc in player,hit play and wondered what happened.
    Wife said,"Turn it over stupid".
    I think she was talking to me.
    Not a happy camper when I realized it was only Pan&Scan!!
    Does this mean I'm going to have to be on "Widescreen Alert" from now on when renting DVD's???
    Bruce.
    ------------------

11. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    My local Mom & Pop store stocks only the P&S version when both are available. And store owners wonder why people are confused when some are OAR and some are not!! If you only have OAR then people will gradually get used to and accept it.
    ------------------
    THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY
    [​IMG]
    375 Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

12. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I picked mine up at the nearby Media Play, and all they had was Widescreen. I was hardpressed to find a full screen version at all.
    WooHoo!
    -Nate
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"

13. Scott Gaffney

I, too, am the proud (NOT) owner of an unwatched copy of the FULLSCREEN version of Mummy Returns. Rushed home last night, stopped by Best Buy, grabbed the movie, got in line, the three people in front of me all were getting it also. Got home and got the system ready, pressed play and then my heart sank. I NEVER thought to even look for WIDESCREEN on a movie like this. I assumed they had stopped even seeling that FULLSCREEN crap. I couldn't watch it. I stopped it and watched the news the rest of the night instead.
    Back to Best Buy tonight, hoping they have WIDESCREEN. Since I have opened it, I am sure they won't take it back. I guess I'll be selling the FULLSCREEN version on eBay for about $12. DAMNNNNNN!
    sdg
    ------------------

14. Eric_T_B

Eric_T_B Extra

Same thing happen top me at my local Hollywood Video store they 50 copies or more all full frame, and of course I knew that their were two different formats out widescreen and full frame, but full frame was all they had so I went ahead and rented it. I just wanted to see it again, besides also bought Heartbreakers which is in only one format "WIDESCREEN" think the lord. All I can say is if you rent or buy Cats & Dogs on the 16th remember to look for the widescreen version make sure you are not getting the full frame ok just thought I might remind you.
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...alias=Jarod243

15. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Haven't stopped by my local Blockbuster yet. I was going to after work, but got detained. I'll have to check it out later. Are all Blockbusters performing this practice?
    ------------------
    Matt
    Mobu? Sounds like some sort of damn car polish.
    My DVD Collection

16. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The Blockbuster down the road from my house only stocks pan-and-scan versions, when possible. That's why I no longer go there - for that reason AND because they once falsely accused me of stealing a copy of the Horse Whisperer on VHS!

17. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

The Blockbuster I go to only had the fullscreen version. I registered a complaint with the people there and was told they put on the shelves what they are sent and suggested I voice my concern at www.blockbuster.com. I left them a polite message as well as left a link to this thread. I also told them I was off to rent it from a competitor. Unfortunately while they did stock the OAR version, they were all rented. Others may want to register your complaints at the blockbuster website as well.
    [Edited last by David James on October 03, 2001 at 03:02 PM]

18. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

I was afraid something like this was going to happen. Now we're going to have the same problem that I always saw with VHS: P&S only for rentals, and to buy the widescreen version, you have to hunt for it.
    The sad part is that the chains are making the decision for the consumer, and then they'll say that "sales dictated" pushing P&S versions more and more. If the chain only stocks the P&S version, there will be many people who will just buy or rent that and not go through the extra effort to get the widescreen version. In fact, as DVD market penetration grows, whole new groups of DVD owners will just assume that P&S is the only option available, because that's the way it's only been in VHS.
    I say the hell with Blockbuster. I know that I will be able to purchase the widescreen versions elsewhere (I never buy movies at BB anyway, unless they're used), and I'll just use Hollywood Video or some other store for rentals.
    Of course, I'll still register that complain with them.
    When is the petition going to go up?
    - Brad

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I tried putting up a petition today on petitiononline.com.
    They are upgrading and are not taking any new petitions. Strange that I was able to sign one though. This was the body I was planning on using, tell me what you think.
    ------------------------
    To Blockbuster and Hollywood Video:
    It has come to our attention that most of your stores are not carrying any widescreen copies of The Mummy Returns for rent. We, the undersigned, urge you to discontinue this trend of only stocking P&S versions of films on DVD for rental. Many of your renting customers wish to view movies in their Original Aspect Ratio (OAR), without them being cropped or manipulated in any way for the sake of filling a television screen.
    Whether they prefer OAR or not, people cannot buy every movie they wish to see. Please do not ignore the large portion of your customers who prefer OAR, many of whom will not rent nor buy unless OAR is an option.
    Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
    ------------------------------
    I'll try posting this again tonight. Hopefully it will work then.
    ------------------
    My DVD's
    If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

20. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

Well, I just registered my complaint with them at their web site.
    We need to make noise about this!