What's new

Blockbuster Rental Card Clarification....You don't need to rent every week!!! (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Virginia Beach -- just checked on mine, I have a rental a week until Oct 24. Not buying the Spiderman or Star Wars cards.... I'll save money buying the DVDs when they hit the B&Ms.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
John, that was what my sister's boyfriend was told. Yesterday at another nearby BBV, my mom was told Spiderman is going to be $29.99 because it is a 2-disc set, which obviously is not the case because all of the discs they have done the rental card with thus far (Shrek, LotR, and Monsters, Inc.) have all been 2-disc sets, so obviously different stores are giving different reasons (some obviously BS) for the increase.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, I was told the $29.99 is because it was more expensive than LOTR, (their cost).

David James

Stunt Coordinator
"Yes, I was told the $29.99 is because it was more expensive than LOTR, (their cost). "

I was told the same thing. I was also told the rental price is not going up.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I don't think they are making up excuses for the price increase, most employees are just guessing a reason that seems plausible. I haven't heard any real definitive explanation for the price jump. My feelings are that the other promotions were so successful (moving literally millions of copies of DVDs through Blockbuster) that they feel it's worth it to raise the price. If they raise the price by 20% and only sell 15% less cards then it equals more profits.

Ted_Lew

Auditioning
The rental price is determined store by store so there will never be a universal increase.

As far as the bump from $24.99 to $29.99...Everyone is just guessing.

When the question was asked at the local Manager's meeting the response was essentially that it will increase revenue and that it is a required move.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Matt I didn't mean to imply that they were lying. The "some obviously BS" comment was an editorial comment by me b/c I obviously know that is incorrect since all the titles so far have been 2-disc sets, so to me that is BS, even though the employee may have thought it was true.

Sorry for not being clearer on that to begin with.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I stopped by Blockbuster in NC today and, of course, they already had their Superman DVD Rental Card flyers posted around the store. Pictured clearly on the front was a P&S copy of Spiderman which had "Full Screen" plastered on it.
I asked the clerk two questions:
1.) If I buy the Spiderman rental card, will I be able to get a WIDESCREEN version of the DVD?
Answer: YES
2.) Would I have to use the rental card each consecutive week, or could I skip a week and still get all my rentals?
Answer: The 10-week rentals were to be used consecutively. If I didn't rent a DVD in a given week, I would forfeit that week's rental.
Then she tried to ring the Rental Card up on my purchase of 3 previously-viewed DVDs (which were "buy 2, get 1 free). I had specifically declined the offer, because I just don't rent that much there. (My local grocery store rents new releases as "2 for 2 nights" for $2.95 total.)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was told at my store that the $5 increase is because it includes a chance to win the lifesize spider-man figure.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I have no doubt that there is a California law prohibiting expiration dates on coupons...I've often heard that, and my wife has used it to her benefit.

I even got Spider-Man and Blockbuster told me I could use the free rentals any time.

However, I tried searching the internet to find the exact law and I can't find squat.

Anyone know what law this is?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
You can find the exact listing on Blockbuster's website.

Spider-Man Rental Card Offer
Membership rules apply for rental. Movie rental card is only redeemable at the participating store where it was purchased and only on the membership account of purchase. You may redeem only one (1) rental per week for 10 consecutive weeks with the first week being the week of purchase. Rentals not redeemed are forfeited. CA/NH residents only: You may redeem only one (1) rental per week until redemption of all 10 rentals. MA/HI residents only: You may redeem only one (1) rental per week until the earlier of either redemption of all 10 rentals or two (2) years from the date of purchase of rental card (rentals not redeemed in the 2-year period are forfeited). Weeks begin on Monday and end on the following Sunday. Recipient responsible for applicable taxes and extended viewing fees. Offer good at participating stores in the U.S. until 10/31/02 while supplies last. Void where prohibited. Quantities limited. Limit one (1) 10 week movie rental card/free DVD or VHS offer per customer. DVDs and VHS of Spider-Man™ available while supplies last.

Eric F

Screenwriter
California law prohibiting expiration dates on coupons
It would apply if it was a gift certificate, not coupons. Here in Ma gift certificates and store credit must be good up to 2 yrs.

Sad thing is I have to fight with the store employees when I use the LotR card. I always carry the printout from the website, and even then a few times they refused to let me use it. Tempted to call BB corportate.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The law applies because these are technically pre-paid cards. Coupons that you get for free can expire without restriction, I believe. The key is that you paid for the card up front.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Btw, now that the Spidey promo is done...
Does anyone know what the next title will be for these cards?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I was in BB on Friday night and asked a friend that works there when they would begin the rental card deal on Star Wars, Episode II. She said they aren't doing it. She didn't know what the next title would be.

I was probably going to do the Star Wars deal because I had a $10.00 gift card to use, but I guess I'll just wait and see what rental card movie they do next and pick up SW from whichever B&M store is the loss leader.

JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks