Blockbuster Rental Card Clarification....You don't need to rent every week!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_Santos, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

When I went to purchase my Monster's Inc. DVD and card there I happened to run into the district manager and asked him about not using a rental every week. This is exactly what he told me:

The rental cards work on a weekly basis but do not expire. If you do not use your rental for that week it will remain on your card. At the end of the ten weeks you will still be able to use the card with the remaining rentals at the rate of one per week.

I had been reading about people who were worried about renting two movies per week because they had two cards. I hope this helps those in need.

2. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Alex, it all depends on what state you are in. I believe californians also do not have any offcial "expiry date" for their cars due to state laws on such matters.

Here in Utah, we are not so fortunate. The timer begins as soon as you purchase the card NOT on the first rental. I have gone the rounds, so to speak, with Blockbuster on this but since Utah has no specifc laws governing these matters we are, to catch a phrase, "hosed."

Michael.

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Alex are you in Orlando, FL? THE RENTALS DO NOT ROLL OVER TO THE NEXT WEEK!!!! It starts when you buy the card and if you don't use one every week for 10 weeks you LOST THOSE RENTALS. I know this for a fact. The district manager is an older, taller gentlemen with thinning white hair and a mustache named Dennis right? If so he told you the wrong thing. I have 2 friends who work for Blockbuster (an assistant manager and just a regular tape-runner) who assure me the rentals do not roll-over. Trust me on this one. It was the same for Shrek and LOTR.
    EDIT: Actually there is more than one District manager for Blockbuster in the Orlando area, but the rules remain the same.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i thought i read the only 2 states that do roll over are CA. And HI.

5. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Actually Im in South Florida now but I asked him about different policies in different locations. He told me that if a particular store is giving you problems you can contact customer service and they will refund the rentals to your account.

6. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim

7. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    that was it not HI but MASS.

8. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I thought the two states were Alaska and Massachusetts.

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

They should just drop the consecutive week requirement.

10. Robert_Powers

I live in South Carolina, when I purchased the card for Monsters Inc. I was told this by the manager:

"You will not lose rentals if you miss a week, you have 4 weeks in between your rentals meaning you can rent 10 rentals in 2 years but you will not lose any of your free rentals if you miss up to 4 weeks.After you miss 4 weeks one rental will be removed from your card and so on and so forth.This does however disqualify you from buying other preorder cards, you can only have one card per account"

Matt is right that they do not roll over the rentals giving you 2 or 3 rentals in one week, it is still ONE rental per week but you do have the privilege of missing a few weeks and not losing your other free rentals.Though this is in SC, NC, and GA as far as I know from my friends.It could differ in other state areas of course so I would call your local Blockbuster and ask their manager if they are in support/participating in this.

This wasn't the way it was for my LOTR dvd card but it is for my Monsters Inc. card and they tell me this is the same from now on because of the fuss over the LOTR card which caused allot of uproar because their system wasn't working properly and deleting rentals that were owed to people.This problem happened to 1 of my friends and they had to have their card trashed and Blockbuster had to credit the amount to their account so they still got their rentals.Letting their system allow missed weeks corrects this problem I guess?

I've missed 1 week to try it out and I still have my rentals and none taken away.So I think this is what Alex was trying to express, but the time limit is 4 weeks of absence per free rental before losing one.

11. Ted_Lew

Ted_Lew Auditioning

I'd be careful with whatever anyone tells you about these cards. I'm a store manager for Blockbuster and half the employees aren't aware of the proper policies (Even up thru District Leader).

What I know for sure is that in CA and NH the cards DO NOT expire because of coupon laws. (In fact NO coupons expire in California, but that's another story).

I know some misinformed employees say different things about the cards, but as far as I know they expire in 10 consecutive weeks unless you are in CA or NH. They might have changed the policy for other states, but I would not assume that they have and then end up losing 4 or more rentals.

12. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

13. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Well, here in GA my LOTR rental card expired(that's what the store clerk said) when I tried to use it today. I had used 8 out of the 10 rentals, so I really was not upset. Still, it would be nice if Blockbuster adapted a universal policy to cut down on the confusion.
    Chris

14. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    shoouldnt the title of this thread be changed sinced what it states is not true at all?

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well another change is, according to their website, the 'week' is now Monday through Sunday. With LOTR, the card said the week was Sunday through Saturday.

16. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

The rental card is going up to $29.99 starting with Spiderman because rentals are going up to $4.50 each. This is according to the store manager in the Milford, CT store.

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

That higher rental price really sucks. I can remember some places where you could rent movies for .99, a few years ago. Right now the normal $3.99 price at BB, is the most it should be. [​IMG]

18. Ted_Lew

Ted_Lew Auditioning

Ok guys this is from the fine print the managers got. CA and NH have no expiration. HI and MA expire two years from date of purchase.

Everyone else has it expire 10 weeks from date of purchase.

The week is Monday to Sunday and the price is $29.99 for the Spiderman card.

19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The local BBs here were pretty clear about the Mon-Sun week, etc.

Too bad the price is going up, but $30 is still decent for 10 rentals and a free Spidey.

20. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

The manager in my BB said the regular rental price is NOT going up to $4.50. Only the VHS Favorites are going up .50.