Blockbuster PreViewed Sale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Geelan, Nov 5, 2002.

1. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

My local Blockbuster just started a Previously Viewed DVD Sale today. All PVdvd's are $9.99 each.
    I had understood this was to happen by November 11 but it began today here.
    Check your local Blockbuster's for this pretty good Clearance Sale.

2. Mazinger_Z

Mazinger_Z Auditioning

Anxiously awaiting the Buy 2 Get 1 free sale also [​IMG]

3. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Just an FYI

This happens at least at my local Blockbusters. They place security stickers all over the DVD discs and possibly a few stickers on the cases themselves. I find it difficult to remove the stickers on the outside of the cases.

If you don't mind that, they do have a pretty good deal on previously viewed DVD's.

Personally I wait till Hollywood Video has a sale, they don't alter their discs.

Paul

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

5. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    o ok.

i just care that the disc works i don't care about the art work. i never look at thwe disc except for when i put it in the player.

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I just brought it up because there are some people who purchase DVD's or any medium who don't like to have any alterations to the product.

Hollywood video doesn't add any security stickers on the disc or the sleeve.

It's just my preference to have a DVD look as much as possible like I picked it up off the shelf new, when i'm purchasing used product.

But i've had no problems with the DVD's I have purchased from Blockbuster.

Paul

8. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

I used this sale to buy the DVDs that were normally $14.95. I bought Blade, Blade2, Count of Monte Cristo, and Austin Powers1. All were higher-priced and in short supply (versus the HUGE titles that eventually fall to $9.99). The first three were is mint condition which was a nice surprise. Austin Powers will go back.

Buy 2 get one free is good if you get 3 of the same priced disks. I thought I'd be able to pick three on the last run and could not. Next time I might use it to get 3 DVDs that are normally $9.99. Does anyone know when that promotion will be back?

9. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Can you inspect the disks before you buy them? Most disks that I've rented from Blockbuster look like they were put in a blender.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think it depends on the individual clerk whether he'll let you look at the disk before your pay, but I don't see why not.

Even if not, they do have a 30-day return policy if it doesn't work. One time at Hollywood Video I went right back in the store after buying a PV Rush Hour 2, after opening the package in the car and seeing the condition of the disc!

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm waiting for the next buy 2 get 1 sale, too. I kinda regret not buying anything during the last one, but at the time I was trying to exercise some self-control. [​IMG]

12. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

You can and I have, but like it was mentioned it depends on the clerk. Of the 4 DVDs I bought, 3 were pristine. The 4th I went to return. The clerk "guided" me to an exchange. I opened 2 in the store and was not happy. (I think they were thrashed because it was a double sided disk, Austin Powers.)

The clerk was cranky, but did give me my money back. He was so cranky that he did not look at the receipt, so he gave me $14 back. I pointed out the error which made him huffy, so I offered to take the higher amount if it was easier for him... it was.

Still, shopping for these DVDs is like a treasure hunt. For example, Harry Potter PV is now priced at $9.99 in its original packaging. Blade was in its original package, too. I figure for DVDs that I want to own but am not concerned with inserts, etc., this is a good way to buy them.

13. Frank Laudicina

I purchased Amelie there for $9.99. The stickers came off very easily and the discs seem completely brand new. I'll bet that they were never even used.
    Frank [​IMG]

14. John Millers

John Millers Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the following PVP (Previously Viewed Product)
    Monster's Inc 9.99
    Super Troopers 9.99
    Blade II 9.99
    I also picked up a new copy of the Grinch (Deluxe Edition) for only $16.99!!! [​IMG]

15. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

A hair dryer on low works great on removing any and all stickers from the keep case, art work and even those ugly security stickers they place on the DVD. Maybe I'll post picks of this today since I just bought a game... let see...

- Adrian

16. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

wow, I find it hard to believe someone (tony?) was so whatever about the sticker on the disc. There are MANY problems with a sticker on a disc. First.... balance if there is something on a disc it will not be balanced. An unbalanced disc is very bad. Play can damage the disc.

So, say you are thinking.... I'll just rip the sticker off the disc. Well... watch yerself. Many times the reflective layer for the other side of the disc is just under the printed material on the DVD. Any damage to the reflective layer is just plain bad. I'd avoid these discs at all costs.

I also wouldn't ever rent form a place which placed a security tag on a disc. Too much risk for damaging the player. Not thank you.

EDIT: If you guys were talking about security tags on the case... who cares, those can be removed easily. I just read it as the actual DVD which had the tags placed on them.

17. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Ok guys's I just took the stickers off my Xbox DVD Game: Agent Under Fire - and here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, using a small hair dryer on low, I heated the white sticker and removed it first. Next I heated the Security sticker and I pulled down using the little metal strips as a guide.
    It's is very simple to remove the security sticker as long as you're careful and pull on it evenly, and the games work fine. There is very little residue if any at all.
    I have about 10 games that I did this way and about 5 dvd's. I don't buy a lot of DVD's from Blockbuster, since I collect them, but games is another story.
    I can't take credit for the idea, someone else mentioned it in there post that this is the way Blockbuster did it, so I tried it and it worked for me many times.... [​IMG]
    Hope this helps..
    - Adrian

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Adrian:

Very cool explanation and demonstration pix! Awesome!

19. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Not a problem, just glad to help.

20. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Nice demo!

Did you really need to peel off the white sticker if it's stuck to the security sticker? Seems like removing the security sticker would do the trick. I've never seen either of those items on discs.

I agree with the remove carefully comment, if you get cocky or try to go quick you could damage the disc. But, you own it you can do whatever you want to it. =)