Blockbuster Online Rentals

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Mcc, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Is anyone using the online rental service from Blockbuster?
    If so, are you happy with it? I'm currently using Walmart.com rentals, but I saw the ad on this forum posted by Brian, and the deal is better. Any input would be great> Thanks.

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jim - I just joined about a week ago, and so far it seems OK. Of course, you always have the problem of the selections you want being on a "short wait" or "Long wait" status, but that's hard to avoid. Except for titles where sequence is important, I really don't care what order I receive my discs in.

I live in the Huntsville, AL area, and I receive my discs from the Atlanta regional distribution center. So far, it seems to be about a 2-day trip, with an occasional DVD requiring 3 days. So I can send a title to them and have a replacement within 4-6 days. Not bad. I haven't used the coupons yet to rent from my local blockbuster, but you do get 2 coupons per month to use at your local stores. I figure these might be good for some of the multi-disc titles, although obviously local stores have a due date that you don't have with online rentals.

So far, I'm pleased with them. They may not have quite as many titles as Netflix, but they do have a decent selection. They're also about $2.50 per month cheaper than Netflix. Obviously that's not a major factor, but combined with the two coupons per month for in-store rentals, I think it's a pretty good deal overall.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I did a 6-week trial (2-weeks + the month they give when you try to cancel). Generally, not as good service as Netflix but I did like the fact that they have multiple editions of films.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

There are quite a few threads on this in the Vendor Feedback forum...

5. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I'm pretty happy with them.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I've been pretty happy. Slowed down a bit just prior to and during the holidays. But my speeds have really picked up since. Getting movies day after they say they sent them.

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks everybody, I'm gonna try it. It doesn't say on the website, are the 2 free rental coupons good for new releases, or just the non-new releases? Also, do they have multiple shipping centers? Thanks.

8. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Jim,

I've been joined for over a month now, and I love it.

The in store rentals can be used for any type of release, and yes they do have multiple shipping centers.

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Jim - I haven't yet used the coupons, but I would imagine they could be used for new releases, as they don't say they can't be used that way. So I'm assuming they can be used for new releases, until I find out otherwise.

As far as distribution centers, they definitely have multiple shipping centers. I don't know the exact number, but it's somewhere around 25 or so. Unfortunately, they won't tell you where your DVDs will usually ship from, because I asked them and they wouldn't tell me. As it turns out, mine come from Atlanta, and so far most have arrived in 2 days, and most of the titles I've returned have also arrived in 2 days, although one title did take 3 days. Of course, I'm only talking about a very small number of titles so far, as I just joined last week ( but the 4th and 5th titles are on their way to me).

Enjoy!

Steve K.

10. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit

Jeff Brooks
    I cancelled when my DVD's arrived with the packages open-too flimsy.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Steve and all, yes you can use the coupons on any DVD rental, new releases, even the 2 night stuff just out.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    My discs were sent from Worcestor, Massachusetts so it took about three days to receive a disc.