Blockbuster Is Horrible: Another Example

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy G, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Andy G

Andy G Auditioning

I rented "Hart's War," which was produced on a 2-sided disk--widescreen on one side and full screen on the other. I of course intended to watch the widescreen side (like other members of this forum and any serious HT enthusiast, I routinely avoid any rentals that are fullscreen). The widescreen side had a scratch which my DVD player could not handle. It was already after 10:30 PM, the kid was in bed, the movie was mostly over, and I wasn't going to jump in the car to exchange the damn thing. So I flipped the disk over and watched the remaining 10 minutes in (oh, no!) fullscreen.

Next day, I'm renting another movie at the same Blockbuster. I hadn't returned Hart's War yet (I typically hold 2-day rentals for the full term so Blockbuster can't make another rental fee from it) and asked whether Blockbuster could make any accomodation (on the $4.76 rental cost) for the defective rental the night before. The Blockbuster drone, who happened to be the manager on duty, asked what the problem was since I watched the entire movie anyway. I explained that my preference was not to watch the fullscreen version. She winced, and then asked what I would have done if Blockbuster rented only the fullscreen version. I replied "I would not have rented the movie." She then said, and I'm not kidding, "Are you serious?"

Long story short, the manager-drone argued "no harm, no foul"; I commented on her attitude; and she finally gave me a raincheck for a free video. But this experience further soured me on this company. Here, as elsewhere, Blockbuster drained business away from the independents, which ultimately folded, and then raised (and continues to raise) its prices. At the same time, the employees (and, shockingly, the managers) have assumed a terrible attitude toward the customers who unwittingly made the company into the giant it has become. Unfortunately, I have no other options (yeah, I know about the web-based rental outfits but find this a hassle) and will likely continue to patronize them, though begrudgingly. Ugh.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

On the plus side, atleast they're BUYING widescreen now. For a while, that wasn't assured...

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Andy, what's the big hassle about net rentals? I signed up with both Number Slate and Netflix (as between them they literally have every DVD known to man) and the only work involved other than the initial sign-up is keeping titles in your queue (no more time spent doing that than browsing the aisles in a video store, right?) and dropping the envlopes into the mailbox along with your other mail. You pay $2.-$3. apiece and have a selection a hundred times greater than Blockbuster offers. What hassle?

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Yeah, if you watch more than six or seven rentals a month, you really can't go wrong with Netflix. We're lucky to have a shipping center in-state, so there's only a day or two turn-around, but even when they were coming from California last year, it was only about a three-day wait, and we got 8-10 movies a month. They can't be beat for price, reliability, and especially selection. Plus they give away free one-month trials, so you should at least give them a shot.
    EDIT: Yes, my check from Netflix is in the mail and should be arriving here shortly.[​IMG]

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

6. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, but since they probably don't know/don't care/aren't told to care about the difference between Full and Wide Screen, and you didn't actually return the movie, and you DID watch it.. I sort of understand where they're coming from.

I had the same thing happen with The Shawshank Redemption (before I bought my own copy), brought it in that night, and they exchanged without saying a word.

As much as I empathize with those who aren't big fans of Blockbusters, I can't say they're that bad.

7. Andy G

Andy G Auditioning

Thought about it and, just this morning, signed up with Netflix. It feels good to have taken a first step in withdrawing my business from Blockbuster. If Netflix is as good as I've read ('cept for the spamming), we may just dump Blockbuster forever.

JamieD: Your point is well taken. I don't fault the manager-drone for trying to figure out if I've scammed them. Yesterday's incident was merely the last straw. My dissatisfaction has been building for quite some time and is driven principally by--

--astronomical price increases after the local competition is eliminated
    --poor customer service occurring right under massive "empowerment to satisfy" counter displays
    --limited selection (they'll never have the DTS version of anything except if its on the DD disk)

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

The biggest problem with Netflix, and it has been this way for a long time now, is the fact that they are constantly out of stock on many movie titles.

11. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

12. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

13. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

Actually, Netflix has gotten much better recently. I have a lot of new releases in my queue and are all show In Stock. There are a few hard to find ones that are Out of Stock. Besides, I'm able to do fun stuff like add the AFI Top 100 Movies in my queue and go through the list at my liesure. I have the 4 out at a time plan and 1 of those 4 are AFI movies.

14. John Telleria

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well they finally took Vertical Limit off the new release wall. But they still have MADE on the new release wall, hasn't that been out for like at least 9 months?

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Netflix doesn't have all the desirable titles. They are woefully lacking in the Anchor Bay Hammer releases, for example, and didn't bother to acquire THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MISS JANE PITTMAN or THE CRAWLING EYE, etc. But if you can afford both, also go for Number Slate, which has most everything Netflix doesn't have, but which lacks some titles Netflix offers.