Blockbuster Guarantee

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Grant H, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Does anyone know what the Previously Viewed Game Return Policy is at Blockbuster or does it vary store to store?

It seems sometimes when I buy a previously viewed item (DVD or game) they tell me it's a lifetime guarantee, while other times they say it's 30 days. I don't think it's product-specific; my guess is the employees just don't know anything.

Which is it? I ask because I just cracked open a game I bought in April 2003. (Yes, I found the receipt even. Amazing, no?) Well, it doesn't work. At first, my Gamecube said it couldn't read the disc. After trying my best to Doctor it with my Gamedoctor device, it doesn't even know there's a disc to read anymore.

Can't believe I spent as much as $25 on a game at BBV and it doesn't work at all. Guess I can just say they told me it was a lifetime guarantee. I want my money back, but I bet they'll only give me store credit. In which case, what good previously viewed games might I want to trade for?

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I highly doubt they ever offered that type of warranty when even the MFGers don't.

Consider it a lesson learned, and that lesson "don't wait almost 2 years to try a used game"

Brent

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I would take the store credit & run with it.

MY Blockbuster only gives 30 days on DVDs (assuming 30 days on games?,never bought any)

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

One of the games I bought had the "Blockbuster Gurantee" sticker on it, but it also had 9.99 on it, so I didn't stick that on this one. Might even say "lifetime" on it.

I know they've told me the "lifetime" line with many, many pre-viewed purchases. Don't see that the DVD or game discs should be different. Sure if I tell them they said it had a lifetime guarantee they'll at least give me credit. In which case I'll use it toward some pre-viewed movies some day. Those, I always crack open right away and often trade for less abused discs.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Officially I think it's 2 weeks, but realistically I've seen them take back discs much later than that. Still, I've taken to doing a quick sanity check of used games and DVDs from them just to make sure that there aren't any major problems as soon as I get them home to try and avoid situations like this one.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

The problem I have with buying used games or DVDs from Blockbuster or their ilk is that they are almost universally mishandled. I don't know what people do to these things when they rent them. No respect for others' property. So many times I see the discs scratched, smudged, dirty.

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Warranty is 30 days on every movie/game sold at Blockbuster. Below is from their website (a good place to look).

================
    # What is Blockbuster’s return policy?

A: Blockbuster guarantees the quality of previously played games. If there is a problem with the movie, bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we will exchange the game or refund your money.

# Is there a guarantee on previously played games?

A: Blockbuster guarantees previously viewed movies. If there is a problem with the movie, bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we will exchange the movie or refund your money.
    ============================

Substitute "game" for "movie". Seems they use the word movie universally.

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I never used to buy from blockbuster because of those disc shield stickers, but since they stopped using them I've picked up a ton of used DVDs and games from them. The trick is to test things right away, and to realize that not all blockbusters are created equal. There are three in my area, and there is definitely one that seems to have better discs, selection, and staff than the others. They also keep the used discs behind the counter (out of the cases) so that they can check them for obvious damage before they sell them. I've actually bought used movies that were never even rented (they bought something like 300 copies for rent, and never actually got to them all). Not a bad deal if you know where to look.

9. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

30 days must be the universal guarantee, but I'm betting it varies store-to-store. I didn't find it online when I looked, and I was afraid I'd find info for the online policies instead of the B&M stores.

I know my store has told me the "lifetime" line many times though. Whether it's real or the employees just don't know any better. Think they told me to either keep the seals or the receipts. The seals don't have dates on them. Unfortunately, this game has no guarntee seal on it.

I'll try my luck tonight. If I put up a fuss I'll probably get store credit. If not, I'll just never go there again. I only go when I get Rent 1, Get 1 Free coupons or 99 cent rental coupons anyway. Otherwise, I pretty much try to avoid the place. The one guy who works there (or used to) insulted me once and I no longer speak to the girl I know who works there.

The back of my receipt lists that the return window for hardware is only 14 days. Receipt isn't long enough to list the rest.

I have a Movie Gallery now where I can rent 1 and get 1 every month thanks to the $1.99 calendar, and I earn free rentals as I go. Think they say their pre-viewed movies and games have a lifetime guarantee too. Never had any discs I couldn't fix from them though.

Really surprises me I never looked at the disc. I must have done that with every movie I've ever bought. Sometimes I've made them open up to eight boxes until I found one in decent condition. If it weren't for watching all those damned movies all the time I would surely have cracked open that game.[​IMG]

10. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Took my game in last night. Amazingly, after all that time they had another copy (don't know if it was out of one of those miracle drawers of theirs or not) and swapped discs for me.

This one looked almost like brand new and played fine.

I told them they told me the "lifetime guarantee" line back then even though now they say "30 days." The woman who helped me didn't give me any trouble, scanned the box sticker and looked at my receipt.

Even though she came through for me, I couldn't help but get the vibe she still wasn't very happy about it.[​IMG]