What's new

Blockbuster - get $8 in trade for DVDs Starts Oct 5th (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Do Blockbusters do special orders? When I cashed in my original 7-disc Kubrick Collection for $56--only $4 under what I originally paid--I asked about special orders and got a nebulous answer.

(Specifically, I wanted to know if they would be able to special order the Lord of the Rings gift set coming out in December, and the guy--a manager--said the store should be getting in a couple. That does not do me any good...either they get it, or they don't!)

- Steve

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I also asked about the RotK gift set at my local Blockbuster as I am planning to get it there, and the manager said they would be getting them in and pointed me to the currently available gift sets in stock. As it gets closer to the time of release, you can probably just go in and pre-order it; I have read on other dvd forums that people have pre-ordered other items at various Blockbusters around the country.

Aaron

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Anthony, yes, and there is a premium on certain titles this month as well.

Aaron, thanks. This BB is small, but convenient. I'll keep cashing in DVD's accordingly.
smile.gif

- Steve

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They take Monty Python TV single discs (I had bought a couple before buying the giant box which was a much better deal). Some of this stuff..I can't believe they are paying $8. Most of what I've traded in was +/- 10% of what I paid.

Anthony, trade any 3 video games (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) and get an extra $5 each.

Deborah_T

Agent
I've been sifting through my dvd collection and have been taking my dvd's to various Blockbusters for trade ins. They do make you sign a "trade agreement" with each store.

As for what to use the credit on...I've found some box sets among the trade-ins and the stores included them in the 2/$20 deal (even thogh they had put prices of $19.99 - $34.99 on them).

Also picked a few new dvds...yeah...they were overpriced, but....

I am hoping for a good sale after Thanksgiving. I do recall a few years back that there was a good sale, but it was at certain locations only.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I kept seeing the sign outside the blockbuster, but I never really thought about taking anything in until I read this thread. So I picked out 14 DVDs to trade in, several things I had upgraded to new versions, and they took them all except the Canadian edition of Sirens. They even took my unbelievably crappy Madacy edition of Metropolis. It can be a decent deal of you think things through. I got a new copy of Eternal Sunshine for an only slightly overpriced $22, plus used copies of Cold Mountain and Hellboy. I still have $60 of credit left.

Unfortunately their used prices don't tend to be as good as they used to be. 2 for $20 for used discs isn't all that great most of the time. Of course, if you bought discs used for $10 each and took back the ones you didn't like enough to keep for $8 each, you actually only pay about $2.50 of so for each one. Of course, you have to sell them back before the promotion is over.

Also, their prices on the bigger releases don't seem to be too bad.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes Blockbuster really comes in handy. My wife and I went through our newly combined collection Saturday, and I took two bags full of DVDs to our local BBV yesterday. We got rid of 39 titles, and walked out with $327.60 on a gift card. I was sort of surprised to get the 5% sales tax added to the trade-in, but wasn't gonna argue if they decided to give me an extra $15.60. Christmas presents for nieces and nephews (and ourselves) are now more than covered. The best thing about the deal is that many of the movies we sold were titles she bought when she worked at another Blockbuster store, and paid less than $5 for.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

I unloaded quite a few discs myself, including some crappy Madecy discs, $5.50 Walmart discs, a few older music concerts/videos, and Blockbuster Previously Viewed discs. You can give them just about anything and they'll give you the $8 credit. It was amazing. And just the other day I completely filled my storage space, and wondered what I was going to do. Now there is a gaping abyss for new treats! Anyway, try bringing in any disc and see what works. You never know!

Cheers,

Jason

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
In my local store this deal is ending on Monday Nov 1. Apparently they are going back to the $5 maximium instead of $8. This store now has about 3 full rows of used dvds stuffed so full you cannot look at them. The staff has no idea what they are going to do with them. I only traded in $50 worth myself, and I'm not sure what to use the credit on as I don't rent, but I will find something eventually.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I stopped in to spend some of my $400 in trade-in, picking up Mulan (for $21.99), and was able to transfer the entire balance from my value card to a gift card which I'm going to use to buy some videogames on their website. They were very good about it. I have another 30 or so movies to bring in still before the promotion ends.

John-G

Auditioning
quote:was able to transfer the entire balance from my value card to a gift card

Thanks Perry for this bit of information I was able to order some movies from their web site that were not available at their stores.
biggrin.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Traded in $160 worth of movies (20).

I even got rid of stuff that I like but know for fact that neither me or any of my guest will ever want to see again: Full Metal Jacket and The Perfect Storm.

The trade-in fully payed for an XBOX + tax
thumbsup.gif

--

H

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I have quite a bit of store credit (three trips in three days
smile.gif
), but nothing to spend it towards. I was hoping for some decent pre-order prices on some of the box sets that are scheduled for release next week, but that doesn't seem to be the case, e.g. Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2. This BBV location would not be receiving any copies next week, so if I wanted one, it would have to be a special pre-order request at $59.99; to add insult to injury, it may not arrive until the end of the week, perhaps the week after.
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif
The CSR even suggested that I would be better off picking it up at Best Buy or Circuit City.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of getting a video game instead (GTA: San Andreas or Ace Combat 5 would be logical choices), but couldn't bring myself to commit $50 a pop, not with TRU running their B2G1F sale this week.

I guess I'll just hold out for some new DVD releases later this year (box sets excluded).

SteveCallas

Second Unit
My local BB is also doing this offer. Instead of spending my credited money right after I earned it, I'm simply going to wait for another 3 for $20 sale. If you figure that they are probably getting a huge inrush of used dvds, they will need a sale like this to unload them.

Now if you consider most of the dvds I sold to them cost me no more than $8.00, with many being $5.50, I make money in that sense, and when I spend that money on 3 for $20, which means each dvd is $6.67, I make more money. In essence, I EARN about $4.00 each time I replace a crappy movie with a better one.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
i got $8 per DVD except for $10 for the old animal house (non-anamorphic).

this trade-in is a no-brainer if you want to prune some old titles (that you won't be rewatching and/or want to upgrade now or on hi-def.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
quick update - my local store said tomorrow (monday nov 1) is the LAST DAY for the $8 trade-in. after that the max price is likely $5.

happy dvd trade-in'ing

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Alas, a limited time offer! There go my hopes of pursuing a career by buying cheap titles and reselling them for profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks