What's new

Blockbuster - get $8 in trade for DVDs Starts Oct 5th (1 Viewer)

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the heads-up. my local blockbuster said $8/min per DVD (maybe more) and this is good thru next week at least. you get credit and the ability to make a gift card w/ this!

time to dig thru the old dvds (too many dvds, too little time & space)
smile.gif

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Just called around to all 10 Blockbuster Video stores in my area (Spokane, WA). None of them are currently participating in the promotion.

A couple people I talked to were more helpful than the rest and said that the promotion is being tested in a few markets right now and that it might come to mine in the future. One suggested that they would be doing a similar promotion around Christmas time, but didn't know for sure. One store even said they were doing it, but it hasn't kicked off yet. The lady at that store didn't know when it would start, but the guy who would know would be in later this afternoon and to check back and talk to him then.

Michael Douglas: I'm traveling across the state to Seattle in a couple weeks to visit some friends in Seattle and might try to trade in some DVDs then if none of my area stores start the promotion by then. What location did you trade in your DVDs at? Do you happen to know of any other Seattle-area stores that are running this promotion right now? Thanks.

Dave

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I'm traveling across the state to Seattle in a couple weeks to visit some friends in Seattle and might try to trade in some DVDs then if none of my area stores start the promotion by then. What location did you trade in your DVDs at? Do you happen to know of any other Seattle-area stores that are running this promotion right now? Thanks.

The Blockbuster in Greenwood right next to the Fred Meyer has this deal going. I'm sure others do it as well. They have banners promoting this deal outside.

Editing this post, the Blockbuster in the U-District has a banner that only says $5 minimum, even though I called to confirm the $8 deal last week. Maybe they didn't change their outside banner, but the minute I saw that the regular Aladdin was priced at $29.99, I turned around and headed to the Greenwood one.

Maybe when you're in town you can call the different Blockbusters to confirm they're doing the deal.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know what the lowest amount of credit Blockbuster has given & if so what movies where they. I was wondering if anyone traded the original version of There's Something About Mary. I picked up the double disc edition for 10 bucks last week & I was hoping to possibly get the full 8 dollar credit for the original single disc version.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Don_Limey: You get a minimum of $8 for any DVD that's region 1.

Phil Tomaskovic: If you get your credit on a value card then it can be used any any BBV store.

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
Chet_F: Well when you say MINIMUM you mean that is the lowest they can give you on any R1 disc or can they give you more then $8 on specific ones.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
you can have the credit added to your account (at that store) OR get a gift card usable at ANY blockbuster store. all you need is a "membership" and ID when bringing in the DVDs.

You will get $8 minimum per DVD (some titles fetch more apparently) that is their catalog (i'm assuming they check for pirated DVDs, Walmart PS $5 titles, etc).

The barcode must NOT be removed or punched out and they take max 2 of copies the same movie. They will buy back an unlimited amount.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Don_Limey: I've only heard of 2 people getting more than $8 and then they only received $8.50. I would assume you would get more for recently released DVDs but I don't know for sure. I've received $8 for the Walmart $5.50 DVDs. I also was able to get them to buy DVDs without a barcode but YMMV.

derek

Second Unit
The guy at my local BB said this 'promo' is only running in a few test markets at the moment. There seem to be plans to initiate it in all markets sometime after the holidays (and include game trade-ins also.)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They even took single discs of shows like The Avengers and Farscape that have since been reissued on bargain-priced season box sets! $8 per disc, even on The Avengers.
(some Avengers discs were most popular in 2-disc slipcases, since each disc had its own UPC I simply removed the slipcase and presented them as two discs)

And they were not anal retentive about fingerprints and minor scuffs (which are not present on 90% of my discs, but I did have a few that had been loaned out and were not as pretty).

Killer deal, on many older discs you can earn 'eBay' prices without the auction/shipping hassle.

Michael Douglas

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Anybody know what the lowest amount of credit Blockbuster has given & if so what movies where they. I was wondering if anyone traded the original version of There's Something About Mary. I picked up the double disc edition for 10 bucks last week & I was hoping to possibly get the full 8 dollar credit for the original single disc version.

They will give you $8 for anything that's in their catalog, even the crappy barebones stuff like the original DVDs of Young Guns, The Terminator, etc.

The ones taking part in this offer usually have a banner outside the store promoting the $8 in trade.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I went into Blockbuster at around midnight on Friday. They said that my store only does the promo 'till 10pm. Then I was walking through the store thinking what to use my credit on if and when I did their gimmick and realized they don't have a lot of good stuff to buy. So, what has everyone else used their store credit on?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought two copies of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow under the "Buy One, Get Another at 50%" It was great timing for me because I had just finished the first Splinter Cell and was ready to move on. I still have a few dollars in credit left and I'll just use it for a rental. You could also wait for one of their pre-viewed sales, but again you run the chance of there not being anything you're interested in. Or you could just be set for rentals for awhile.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I couldn't even tell you when the last time I rented a DVD. It had to have been back when I first got my DVD player. Honestly, I haven't even set foot in a BB in a long time. How often do they do Previously Viewed DVD sales? That would probably be my best bet. There are always DVDs I want or discs I could probably just throw in the collection.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They seem to have pre-viewed sales every three to four months and usually a "buy two get one free" thing. I think the most recent oney they were doing a three for 25.00, like Hollywood. Standard prices are two for 20.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks