Blockbuster DVD Rentals $4.29 And Rising!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

The Blockbuster in my town recently raised their rental fee for DVD's (and new release VHF tapes) to $4.29. And there is little to stop them from raising it higher. Here in Raleigh NC there is little to no competition for DVD rentals. I am sitting here trying to think of another place to rent DVD's and cannot come up with a single one. All of Blockbuster's competition have closed their doors over the last several years...Video Plaza, Carbonated Video, Video Bar...leaving Blockbuster with a virtual monopoly in the area. I visited a friend in Georgia last week and he is able to rent any DVD he wants for $1.99 for a full week at his local video store. I was very envious.

I am thinking about trying NetFlix but don't really want to be locked in to $20 a month for DVD rentals.

Blockbuster is my only option locally and they are free to pretty much charge what they want for a rental. I am pretty much now only renting when I have a coupon, which they put out once every couple of months or so.

$4.29 just seems very steep to me. I have a hard time paying that much but have little choice.

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

My advice would be to go ahead and give Netflix a try. They've recently come up with regional distribution centers, so you should get your DVDs quickly.

A couple of things to keep in mind is that you don't pay late fees with Netflix and you never have to make a special trip just to return a movie. The postage on the return mailer is pre-paid, you keep the DVD as long as you want, then drop it back in the mail.

3. David Hicks

David Hicks Stunt Coordinator

Definately give Nexflix a try. Hell, it's free for two weeks! And, best of all...no late fees!!!

btw - it sounds like you're a light renter. Go with their $13.95 light plan. You get two out at a time instead of three.

4. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

My advice is join Columbia House. For about $10 each you can OWN those DVDs. If you tire of them, there's E-bay.

5. Dan Kaplan

Dan Kaplan Stunt Coordinator

You could always move. [​IMG]
    The American Family Video place down the street from me averages $0.90 for 5 days for non-new releases (I only rent on Tuesdays, since you get it for close to a week it's all about the same) and only $0.50 more for new releases...
    My mom owned a small neighborhood video store (you know the type, the ones you never see anymore) about 10 years ago that went out of business due to a mega Blockbuster-like video store moving in across the street (gave away a car in their grand opening giveaway), so I feel your monopoly pain. [​IMG]
    Dan

6. JarrodK

JarrodK Extra

If you really care about movies, you wouldn't give your money to Blockbuster on principle alone. Censoring corporate behemoth bastards... [​IMG]
    I also think you should give Netflix a try. I was concerned about coughing up $20 every month as well, but considering my nearest rental store charges $4 per DVD I figured that I only need to get 5 DVDs per month from them to come out even. I currently get 3 each week (or 12 per month) sent to me automatically. That comes to $1.66 per rental, which is a MUCH better price than any of the chains can offer.

7. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Thanks guys. NetFlix is sounding better and better. I am a fairly light renter and will have to check into the "Light Plan" that David mentioned. I didn't realize there was such a plan. I just can't keep dishing out $4.29 plus for a DVD rental. And I don't buy very many DVD's at all these days after my initial DVD buying frenzy a few years back. They just end up sitting on the shelf collecting dust after I watch them one time. I did end up selling many of them on ebay but that is kind of a pain in the neck.

So it looks like NetFlix is in my future.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

My Blockbuster went from 3.99 to 4.19 on Oct. 1st. I'm really pissed about it and several other changes during the last year. I'm gonna send a complaint letter to the CEO. May not make a big difference, but it's something.

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Brian- I can add my endorsement to the recommendations for Netflix. I rejoined them in March after cancelling my membership some months earlier. The experience this time has been much more pleasant than my first membership with them. The regional distribution centers certainly help, and they also seem to have fewer "long wait" titles than previously. I currently have the regular plan, but am seriously considering the "lite" plan, as I wind up rarely watching DVD's that I've purchased and movies I've recorded from TCM, etc because I'm always watching my Netflix movies instead. So perhaps by going to the lite plan, I'll have an extra day or two without a Netflix movie at home, and thus can watch a purchased DVD or recorded movie.

If you decide that Blockbuster is still your best bet, you might want to consider their "Rewards" plan. As a "Rewards" member, you get one non-new release free with each rental Monday through Wednesday, plus a coupon for a free non-new release monthly, and with each five paid rentals you get another non-new release free. The only problem is that it takes a year or more for most titles to no longer be considered a "new" release. But it's still a decent plan overall. But I still consider Netflix to be FAR superior to Blockbuster or any other video store, and other superior to other online rental services.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

10. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I feel your pain. If I hear a movie is good I will probably buy it on sale at CC or BB since renting at BallBuster will have paid a good percentage of it. They must love DVD's, since they are sooo cheap, their profit margins must be soaring.

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

$4.29? [​IMG] What a friggin' rip-off considering what they probably pay for most DVDs.
    Luckily I have a Hollywood Video and a Family Video where I live. HV charges .99 for a five-day rental (new releases included), and FV charges .99 for two-day rentals (also includes new releases).

12. Aaren

Aaren Auditioning

from what I remember, blockbuster was charging way more than $4.29 (almost $5) around here, when I joined netflix last year. Never looked back. I'm on the lite plan and rent at least 4 or 5 movies per month, sometimes up to 10 or 12. It helps that I'm really close to regional center and usually have 3 day turnaround times.

Go for the free trial. They don't advertise the lite plan too much, but's there and you can select it online. After you join, just find the 'upgrade your membership' link on the customer service page, don't worry, you can also 'downgrade' to the cheaper service. From what I remember, they wouldn't let me do this until after I paid for the first month at the standard rate ($20/month).

13. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Wow, haha, I'm glad I stopped renting dvd's years ago.... That IS crazy!!!! You might as well buy the dvd for that price!

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Some people I know who average multiple rentals per week question how much money I have invested in my DVD collection. At those prices 2* 4.29 * 52= equals about $500 per year going to Blockbuster. It's been years since I last rented a video game and I've never rented a DVD yet my 100+ title software collection costs less than many people spend on renting.

15. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

How much is the Netflix lite plan per month?