Blockbuster "Disc-Shield" Stickers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Sep 2, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I bought some pre-viewed movies from Blockbuster and I was wondering if anyone knew a way to remove these "disc-shield" stickers? Thanks.

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

On Blockbuster's crappy "Disc-Shield" stickers it says something to this effect: if removed, you could damage the disc and I really don't want to damage the disc (as I bought Unbreakable: Vista Series used for $7 from them). I really don't care for the "Disc-Shield" stickers, but if there is a way to remove them without damaging the disc, I'd like to hear it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

3. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

A while back I bought some playstation games from our Hastings video store. I believe they had the same thing on the labels so I peeled one off of the label and had no problems. I wouldn't know about dvds' though. If you do try this just remember one thing, peel slowly.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

When I buy the Blockbuster PTV discs, I always ask to see them before I leave the store. This way if they're heavily scratched or something else is wrong with them, then I just don't buy them, rather than having to return them.
    So I never get the ones with the sticker on the disc.
    Since you do have some, then I can think of one thing. There's another thread going on that discusses whether Heat will damage DVD's. The general consensus seems to be "not unless it's very hot and sustained"; you might want to read the thread and decide for yourself how good this idea is.
    NOTE: If you try this idea, and it damages your discs, then it is your risk and your responsibility. I do not warrant that this idea will work, and I will not re-imburse you for the items. "Don't try this at home, kiddies"!
    With that said, here's the idea: I might take the risk of using a hair dryer to warm up the glue on the sticker, making it gooey enough that the sticker might come off rather easily. Any residue left over could be eliminated by putting some Goo Gone on a clothe and rubbing the sticky area of the label-side of the disc with that clothe.
    Again, try any of this AT YOUR OWN RISK! It's just an idea, but then I'm crazy enough to try it if it were my disc. Remember, though...I've never actually tried it so if the heat doesn't fry your disc, the Goo Gone probably will jam it up.
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've purchased a couple previewed DVDs from Hastings with the clear labels on them which bear the Hastings logo. I just leave them on the disc. They are not bothering anything on the disc and cause no problems during playback. To me, it's not worth the risk or ruining the disc to remove the label.
    ------------------
    Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman [​IMG]

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Donovan...Do you know anyone who works in a hospital? We use an adhesive remover - the brand name is Detachol - that works like a charm for removing any sort of stuck-on labels. I think the key ingredient is acetone. Anyway, I've used it on different types of plastic and have not damaged a one.
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

7. Dan_I

Dan_I Auditioning

I've bought four used DVDs from Blockbuster (Bowfinger, CTHD, Vertical Limit, and TWINE) and removed the disc-shields from all of them. Got the idea when I noticed the Bond sticker had already been tampered with -- I just finished the job. (I thought the movie was very weak, so it was expendable if it botched.)
    Just start peeling up at the little indents, where the metal strips are. There is no adhesive under the strips. I'd advise peeling up like you would masking tape (pull UP instead of pulling BACK on the flap).
    I did need to use goo-gone on TWINE, but the others came off without any residue whatsoever. Make sure you remove all tackiness if present.
    Note that a little bit of CTHD screening peeled up -- about 1/32" square. I got a little extra reistance there and then a "pop!". Oh well, better than that loud BB sticker.
    Naturally, I can't guarantee you'll get the same results, but those were mine. Discs play without a hitch and I'm convinced that the "permanent damage" caveat is bogus.
    ------------------
    Watch out for them man-eatin' jackrabbits, and that killer cacti.

8. donovan_chin

Dan,
    You're right on the money. I just tried pulling from the metal strips and it came right off. It did leave a little bit of residue on some parts of the disc. Mainly the center. I'll go get some goo gone from Hme Depot to complete the job.
    Thanks again.
    ~Donovan

9. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Here in AL, Movie Gallery has these bastard stickers that go on their discs. You just peel them off. They are tough, but just get rough with them. The thing about damage is bullshit. I've probably peeled about 20 of them off and nothing hasn't worked yet.

10. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

These stickers WILL damage your DVD player. Think of the disc as a tire on your car. When you replace your tires you have them "balanced". Why? So that your car doesn't shake itself to death. A CD/DVD disc is not balanced in the first place BUT it also doesn't weigh that much. The two types of stickers I've encountered have been really thick ones which weigh half as much as the disc itself. These are usually placed on one side of the disc. Think of your tire with a handful of weights on just one side. IT WILL BE WAY OUT OF BALANCE more so then without any weights. This over weight and out of balance disc WILL put incredible stress and strain on your DVD Player's motor.
    I have stopped renting from one place (HOLLYWOOD VIDEO) due to these security labels. I asked the manager if he was going to pay to have my motor replaced. He seemed to be totally unaware of any difficulties these "weights" caused.
    When I return my lastest rentals to BLOCKBUSTER I will be informing them I will no longer be renting from them due to the damage they will be inflicting on my DVD PLayer. I did remove the sticker from the rental without any problems what so ever.
    CDs are VERY prone to damage if the silk screen side (label) side is damaged. A lot of people are not aware of this. They think that if they scratch the read side then the disc will be damaged. If you scratch the silk screen side it will cause the same damaged. Very early Virgin CD had used a really cheap sticker for the silk screen and when people used CD cleaners on these CDs, the silk screeen side label would start to bubble which caused these CDs to become unplayable.
    With DVDs being multilayered I don't know if damage to the silkscreen side will affect playback.

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The shields on the DVDs if applied correctly will not hinder the playback of the disc. If the shield in use is also of the correct kind, it is so light it shouldnt add too much weight to the disc.
    And as for the damage to the disc thing being BS...it isnt, trust me, I have witnessed first hand that these things will destroy a disc if a properly put on shield is removed. I was working one night and someone returned a game with a shield on it, and tried to peel it off. The shield took the silkscreen logo and the data layer with it, leaving just a clear plastic platter on the case.
    It was kinda neat to see the things work, but horrifying as well.
    The main reason for the shields is security...it prevents theft above all other things.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

12. donovan_chin

Sean... when you say that you saw it at work, I assume that you work for BB. Anyway, if you take it off real carefully, they leave not mark at all. I just removed 5 of them today and they all came of perfectly. I think that the one case that you saw was a person not knowing what they are doing and ripping them off at high speed or something. As in the case of removing any kind of sticker or tape, do it slowly. I don't know what you mean about them not being applied properly but if that's the case, the 5 out of 5 that I bought must have all been applied improperly. In that case, I would have to assume that blockbuster staff are not trained well enough to know how to apply any of these properly because the ones that I removed were from not only 1 store. Please, if you've never done this yourself before, don't assume that it can't be done.

13. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It all boils down to the person putting them on...if they dont care, it is easy ot remove...and most people dont care.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

14. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

I pulled em off with a little bit of force and used some goo gone for the residue, and it seemed to work fine. (cast away and what lies beneath) now... both of these movies had full color art on the disc itself so i dont know if this had anything to do with why it didnt damage them...
    ------------------
    "As long as you are out there, I can never be number one...."
    My DVD List

15. donovan_chin

I'm done with my 12 disc. Here's the report... only Charlie's Angels had a bit of problems. Didn't have any problems with the ones with full color art. Charlie's Angels only has single color partial art. The rest of the 11 came off like a charm... go slow, tho. A little Goo Gone... and like a brand new disc.

16. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Stunt Coordinator

I'm in Alabama as well, (Trussville), and the local Movie Gallery used to put their stickers on their discs as well, until I brought up how many I bought from them each week, and how much I would appreciate it if they wouldn't put them on anymore, and now they don't. You might just try talking to the manager, they don't even put price tags on my boxes anymore, and they were really nice about it. Try talking.

17. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Brent,
    That solution sounds fine, but I think the key to your resolution is;
    BB, being the big conglomerate monster that it is, probably wouldn't give a flying f&*k about a label on the DVD. Especially since the bulk of people won't be 'complaining' about it (the J6Ps).
    [​IMG]
    Troy
    ------------------
    quote::My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
    :That's just something ugly people say.[/quote]
    [Edited last by Troy LaMont on September 04, 2001 at 12:54 PM]

18. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Ronson lighter fluid. Tall yellow plastic bottle. Evaporates and leaves NO residue. At your grocery store by the chewing tobacco and pipe tobacco. Cheap too!
    ps. you can even squirt it on an envelope and it makes the paper transparent so you can see the contents. Then it evaporates leaving no trace...not that I've ever done this or anything...

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

20. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

Take a frisbee, spin it on your finger.
    Now add a weight on one side and tell me if it spins the same way (and I'm not talking about it's final speed, I'm talking about building "up to speed"). Does that same disc with the extra weight take the same force to spin that same frisbee? No, it takes MORE.
    BTW PS2s and some computers have the DVD players mounted vertically. Kind of like my tire example. Spinning objects vertical or horizontal require force to spin. If one side is heavier it will take more force to spin that same disc. THUS wearing out a DVD motor.
    Are you telling me that you've never had a LD literally shake your player into shutdown? I HAVE! Was it warped? Didn't appear to be. Was it off center? Didn't appear to be. There was no reason that I could see physically why this happened, I just saw the end results. So a DVD is smaller, and yet so is the motor that spins it.
    Vertical or horizontal, I will not place a Disc with a weight on it in my player.