What's new

Blockbuster: Did OAR Win? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I might have missed discussion on the subject of this shocking apparent reversal of policy concerning widescreen and fullscreen dual releases.

I was stunned to see a MAMMOTH wall full of WIDESCREEN Harry Potter DVDs for rent. On looking around some more, I noticed most of the newest releases were WS only. It wasn't too long ago where the opposite was the rule with the infamous Mummy and Grinch releases. Harry Potter really is a head turner. It seemed to change with the release of A.I.

I know I wrote BB email concerning the FS policy. I wonder if many others did too to affect this change. Also, if this is indeed a change in policy, then BB is no longer a target as a anti-OAR retailer...

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
We shouldnt give up now. We should begin praising them for their shift in policy, not pardon them.

I too was concerned that Potter would be the big PS release there, but it wasnt. It is only WS for sale too!

Too bad we cant say the same of major retailers like Target and whatnot!

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
I could not agree more. BlockBuster is only one front in the battle over viewing choices.
Our local WalMart store had their Harry Potter display up, complete with pricing "$16.99 Full Screen" and "$16.99 Wide Screen".
The only problem is that of the four sided, five (or six) shelf display, there was only one shelf of the widescreen DVDs, located on the lower most back of the display unit!:angry:
Furthermore, subsequent searching of their DVD section had no widescreen DVDs on display at all! :angry:
I feel very sorry for anyone who grabbed the wrong copy by mistake. The nice "widescreen" banner is easy to miss, if you don't know that it is there in the first place!:angry:
Keep up the good fight for the choice of viewing ratio that was one of DVDs original selling points.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
My local Kmart store has far more widescreen copies of Harry Potter than fullscreen on display.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, being as I am one of the few Blockbuster supporters on this forum, as was very concerned about which version my local store would carry. I was thrilled when the clerk told me that only WS was coming on order. They have both versions for sale, with about 3 times as many WS as FS. I was talking to the clerk who told me many more wide than full were being sold (but also that VHS sales almost equaled DVD sales of Potter!). One funny thing, they FS copies they have are behind the counter in a box, not on display. Written on the box is (I swear I'm not making this up) "If you buy this may you burn in the firey pits of hell". When I laughed and commented on this the clerk told me, "One of our employess is very enthusiastic about Widescreen!".

This is the store on Mculloch road in Oviedo, FL.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
As far as the dreaded Walmart, that was the point of this thread. Blockbuster was always perceived as the driving force behind dual releases for rental purposes. Now, it is OBVIOUS that it is the evil empire of Walmart that is be feared.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The best way to praise blockbuster is the way I'm still not willing to do - rent there. I would certainly do so if I didn't feel their prices were bad, their late policy sucked, and they were a blight to competition.

That said, I am pleased they've shifted their stand on OAR.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I live in a fairly large town and there is no other place to rent. There is Hollywood Video (which is the same thing) and there is one other local chain which only rents for 2 days. There is no other choice for some.

Also, I rent very seldomly, and when I do, I usually use a Rent one get one free coupon...

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I just got back from TARGT where they had 4x as many P&S as widescreen!!! But it gets worse, the Widescreen was priced 2 dollars more!

Chuck Parker

Agent
glad to see that BB is supporting the WS version.

I picked up my copy of HP at A circuit city in the DC metro area, and spent a good 10 minutes digging through the shelves for a widescreen copy. And when I approached the counter, the clerk asked "this is widescreen, that's what you wanted, right?". I did not take this as a good sign.

Cliff B

Agent
Where I live, the Block Buster has always stocked WS releases for rent. I don't really think this is such a new revelation.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As someone else said, be sure and praise Blockbuster, Target, even Wal-Mart, if they're making WS available for sale or rent. Tell the manager, fill out a comment card, send feedback on their websites.

People are quick to complain, but tend to remain silent if satisfied. We need to make sure our praise of WS availability in these stores is as loud as those who are complaining about the black bars.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Where I live, the Block Buster has always stocked WS releases for rent. I don't really think this is such a new revelation.
Your store probably isn't a corporate store. BB had a policy of offering only the P&S version when two versions were available...

The Grinch and The Mummy Returns were notable examples.

Cliff B

Agent
Excuse my ignorance but please explain the differences between my BB and a 'corporate' BB. Thanks. I was always under the impression that if it said Blockbuster on the front of the establishment, they were all one and the same business.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Excuse my ignorance but please explain the differences between my BB and a 'corporate' BB. Thanks. I was always under the impression that if it said Blockbuster on the front of the establishment, they were all one and the same business.
As with many big chain stores, some are actually owned by the corporation while some are independantly owned pursuant to a francishe agreement.

DJ

Cliff B

Agent
Now I understand a little better. But, even as a franchise owner, are you not obligated to follow the directives handed down by the corporation?
Honestly, for the longest time, I've been trying to figure out why so many people slag BB when I've had great selection and great service. I don't know; maybe I'm just lucky to live in the neighborhood that I do.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
But, even as a franchise owner, are you not obligated to follow the directives handed down by the corporation?
It depends on the franchise agreement. Often, the franchisees have more freedom in business operations than corporate stores do. For example, corporate stores often are required to take part in all promotions, while franchisees can sometimes opt out of promotions.

DJ

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That's the reason we should always stand strong on the petitions and demand ws. We have to be very vocal or suffer the consequences.

PhilipW

Second Unit
I picked it up at Circuit City and they didn't have any WS left on display. The guy went to check the back and came back with the only WS copy left which he had saved for himself. They must of had about 35-40 full screen left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks