What's new

BlockBuster and Universal (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Alex-

All copies of Hannibal are in widescreen so you can rest assured that when the time comes, you will find a used copy in OAR. Only Silence of the Lambs was released in seperate widescreen and pan-and-scan versions.

- Guy

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I tend to agree w/ Dave Barth. I think Universal is in on all this stuff. When I asked my local BB manager about them carrying Grinch in P&S only, she said they put out whatever the studio sends them.

Peace,

DM

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do, do not email BB. They don't even read them. You'll get back a form letter that invariably has nothing to do with the original intent of the email. Take the time to write them a real letter. Those are most assuredly read by a live person.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think Universal is in on all this stuff
I wouldn't say that. Block Buster headquarters/shipping/ordering department orders a certain number of copies and then ships them out to Block Buster stores. Universal just comes out with the DVD either in P&S, Widescreen, or both. It is person at the BB HQ ordering these (probably blindly) and sends out "whatever."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Everyone who is surprised that some Blockbusters have different stock than others on the WS/FS deal, should remember that this is a chain made up of both "chain-owned" stores and "franchise" stores.

I'm certain, based on postings, that the chain stores carry the FS versions of DVDs, and that individual franchises make the decision on their own what to carry.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
gee when I come to think about it...why do I want to spend 5.00 renting it when I can buy it for only 13.00 more..worst case scenario..if I hated it i can sell it to someone for 10.00 and only lose 3.00 and help out a friend too.
You know, that's pretty much the same philosophy I've adopted for certain DVD titles. My Blockbuster is one of those "P&S Only" stores so I have no way of seeing The Grinch, JPIII, etc. I might as well buy those DVDs, and I can always ebay them if I don't like them. Chances are good you can command enough $$$ that it's no different than renting it.

Still, it's a frustrating situation!

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
support your local mom&pop video rental store
Too bad there aren't any. The only worthwhile one I've found around here, which I supported frequently in spite of it being over 20 minutes away, closed some time ago. (If any of my fellow Omahans on the HTF know of a decent non-BB/Hollywood around here, please let me know :) )

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Hollywood Video JP3's all say "WIDESCREEN" on the box, but its actually a Pan & Scam DVD inside! aaaaaaaaaaaaargh! They must of had fifty of them on the wall and all had the WIDESCREEN banner on them. If this trend does not change soon I am going back to NETFLIX.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Suggestion to those who don't like Blockbuster: Don't rent there. My home town of 30,000 people has a tape renatal place where, not only do they ONLY stock WS DVDs, but they have posters on the wall explaining why P&S sucks. Find yourself a place like this in your own town and your set! Good luck! (p.s. We have a blockbuster, too)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I don't any video rental stores around my area but BB, Movie Gallery, and Hollywood. All of these are essentially interchangeable. Nice to know you have another option Jeremy but unless you are planning to mail my rental DVD's down to me I don't see how that store helps me much.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Sadly, my local Hastings which I previously could rely on to have ws versions had only PS Grinch and JPIII for rental. Arrggh!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
MTrotter, I encountered the same thing at my local Hastings. They previously only carried oar edition, but recently switched over for J6P. :frowning: I'm beginning to believe that soon all rental places will only carry the J6P version.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks