What's new

BlockBuster and Universal (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
Maybe this is old news, but I heard from a BB manager that all upcoming Universal Titles will be Pan and Scam only for rental.

Fuckers.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
You know...I knew there was a reason I didn't work for them anymore...and now I remember.

They're bastards!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Bill, unfortunatly Hollywood also is P&S only for the most part.
We're screwed
I'm headed down there to see if I can con my old HS buddy who works there for extra $$ into giving me the $10 Hedwig coupon for Guitar Center :)

Luis A

Second Unit
I suggest everyone who is pro OAR cancel your Blockbuster membership, and support your local mom&pop video rental store. No matter how many letters we write to Blockbuster they will not change thier ways unless we hit them where it hurts, thier pockets. Once they start to realize business and profits are down maybe they'll listen. :angry:
L

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I have been hearing from a lot of people about BB not supporting widescreen. I guess the store located near me must actually have some intellectual people working there because all they seem to carry is widescreen. Is this just a flook? Chris S.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I hope my local Hollywood Video has JPIII in widescreen. I'm not really interested in buying the disc but I do want to see the movie. However, I won't rent the pan & scan version. Sure, they're only charging .99 for their rentals, but you gotta have principles! :)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I took Luis' advice and wrote an e-mail to Blockbuster telling them that if they go ahead with a pan and scan only policy, I would cancel my membership. They should offer both options, widescreen and pan & scan, but of course we'll have to wait and see what transpires.

Later,

Rick

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Our HW video has JPIII in widescreen, so others might be in luck. I did see the vhs print, and have to say that it sucked pretty bad--very fuzzy and grainy. I don't know how anyone could watch it.

robyn

bill lopez

Second Unit
Dec. 11 and just got back from HOLLYWOOD VIDEO and nothing but WIDESCREEN JURRASICK PARK 3 dvds!!!
So long BLOCKBUSTER!:D

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
There is an additional problem with BB (and other rental outfits) only offering P&S versions of films; after the attention that a mega-release generates dies down, there will be sooooooo many extra P&S copies on the used market that you will never be able to score a deal on a film that you may have only had a passing interest in. I know I can't score a used widescreen "Hanibal" at my local BB....

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Y'all seem to be overlooking that if all upcoming Universal titles will be P&S, that's made possible only because Universal is releasing them all in P&S. I wouldn't rule out they're in cahoots with BB on this, either.

It may prove to be a very effective way of disconnecting the resale/after-rental market from the new purchase market.

(Oops, don't know how I missed the previous post, sorry!)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They sell used copies for the same price you can get them the first week new at Best Buy or Fry's anyway.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I suggest everyone who is pro OAR cancel your Blockbuster membership, and support your local mom&pop video rental store.
Actually, my local mom & pop store doesn't support OAR. Remarkably, the local Blockbuster seems to have a pro-OAR attitude! Every copy of Jurassic Park III was Widescreen!

Lanny_B

Second Unit
It makes me crazy!

I still haven't seen the Mummy Returns because there's NO WAY I want to watch a big effects film like that in Pan&Scan.

Rick, above, said, "Well, I took Luis' advice and wrote an e-mail to Blockbuster telling them that if they go ahead with a pan and scan only policy, I would cancel my membership."

What is the email address for BB? Or especially Universal, that one I couldn't find. But I'm going to write a real letter through snail mail to see if that will make more of a difference.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I guess I'm lucky. Once again, my local Blockbuster has ONLY widescreen copies of JPIII. They had 50+ copies, and every one of them was in widescreen. The same thing was true for How The Grinch Stole Christmas. So far, the only title for which they have fullframe only is Cats and Dogs, possibly due to the Warner fiasco on that title. I don't think I've ever seen a single copy of Cats and Dogs checked out.

On the other hand, the local Movie Gallery has only fullframe copies of JPIII. I was thinking about buying one of their discount movie rental cards, but decided not to for that reason. I may buy a card yet just so I have a right to complain.

Steve K.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i went..and there were 2 huge walls..wall A covered top to bottom with P&S versions of the Grinch, and wall B covered top to bottom with P&S versions of JPIII.

my eyes started to well up...

so I went to Target and bought a WS version for only 18.00

gee when I come to think about it...why do I want to spend 5.00 renting it when I can buy it for only 13.00 more..worst case scenario..if I hated it i can sell it to someone for 10.00 and only lose 3.00 and help out a friend too.

fyi: i totally loved the movie having seen it for the first time after I bought it.

F Blockbuster!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks