What's new

Blockbuster and Hollywood Buyers?? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have purchased a fair number of my DVDs from Blockbuster's and Hollywood's sales on "previously viewed" items. I was wondering if others frequent those stacks as I do. I have not had any problems with the discs I've purchased, though I do give them a gentle washing when there are fingerprints. With the sales I spend on average 12.00 per movie!

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I haven't bought any PVT's there because ours tends to put that shit over the top of the DVD. The anti-theft stuff which is very hard to get off and never really, at least in my experience, does.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I haven't bought any PVT's there because ours tends to put that shit over the top of the DVD. The anti-theft stuff which is very hard to get off and never really, at least in my experience, does.
I've bought a few previously-viewed DVDs from Blockbuster, and while I cringe a little when I see the stickers/markings/etc., once the disc is spinning in my player I don't care what stickers it has.

DJ

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I haven't bought that many from BB because, well, to be honest, the movies that are usually for sale as PVT's aren't one's I'd really want to own. My tastes tend to be a bit eclectic. Sometimes I find a gem, though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, it takes a bit of hunting sometimes to find ones worth owning. But sometimes the price is too tempting to pass up. For example I didn't care much for Hannibal as a film, but the DVD is great and at 8.00 was worth the price. Usually I hold off on buying a popular movie when it first gets released because the odds are I'll find it at BB down the road. Case in point - I just picked up Ocean's 11 for 11.00. I plan to do the same for A Beautiful Mind and Black Hawk Down.

I'd say I've purchased around 15 or so DVDs from rental chains and have only encountered the stickers on a few, and I think they were actually video games. At least around here they don't seem to be doing this anymore.

Chris M

Second Unit
This has been talked about in about 3 different threads... but here's my point of view:
I don't tend to wait for the disc that I REALLY want to come on sale as PV, I usually buy those right away, the ones that are kinda cool, I think... those I'll wait for. As for buying at BB, I don't bother, even though I'm sure the Canadian BB treats their PV discs better than their American counterparts, I prefer buying from Rogers Video, they take pretty good care of their discs AND packaging, and with the 14 day guarantee (I believe BB has that), it's just the best choice.

I've bought quite a few titles from there, and haven't had any problems yet!

Chris.

Mike Gariepy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I frequent my local video stores for PE (Previously Enjoyed) DVDs as well, but with all the price wars going on here, I can pick up most titles for $9.99 Canadian.
:)

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
i only bought one movie from BB that was JP3 for 9.99. other than that i wont. only reason is were i live BB and HV both sell there PV dvds starting at 14.99 up to 17.99 i wont pay that much for a used dvd. i never find anything under 14 bucks. so for me makes no sense to pay 14-17 bucks for a used dvd when i can pay that much for a new one... wish i lved were ayll do with cheap prices..

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I only buy when there is a sale like buy two, get one free. I agree - paying 17.00 for a used disc is not worth it, but with the sale it's more tempting.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've purchased a few titles from BB. I didn't care for all the security stickers all over the discs, so i switched over to buying used discs at HV. They don't put any of those stickers on the disc that obscure the wonderful graphic on the disc

They seem to have more deals and the discs and the cases seem to be taken care of better.

Also CD Warehouse is also a good place, but they tend to be more expensive, though i just picked up Halloween 3 there for $5.99!!

I like to pay about $10 - $13 for a used movie. Anything above that and you might as well go new.

Paul

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
I work at Hollywood Video and I buy from there all the time. We don't put stickers on the discs and the price tags are on the plastic wraper. I do the PVDs myself and put pride and effort into my work.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Martin,

Let me rephrase that I didn't HATE Hannibal, just thought it didn't live up to its predecessor. It would be silly if I'd spent 8.00 on a movie I thought was awful in all respects. Hannibal had its problems, but I liked other elements. For those people who have over 400 films in their collection, is it possible that they like each one 100%? I think most people on this site are collectors, meaning being completists to varying degrees. Sure, Die Hard III wasn't as good as the first two, but you have to have the whole set, right?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the PVT's have taken up a chunk of my disposiable income in the last week or so. I now own Bound, Commando, Final Fantasy, Lost In Space, Strange Days, SuperGirl. All for about $10 ea, plus the 20% discount. (I dont want to tell you about my trip to Best Buy. Tons of good stuff for about $10 each).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've only almost bought a DVD from Blockhead It was the original DVD for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I always open up a DVD box after I buy it and sure enough...inside was a broken hub (a keep case...a reminder for the snapper haters :) ) which caused a nice array of scratches all over the disc.
Of course, I got a refund. Whether it was good foresight or just the usual care given to discs at rental places (this was a brand-new copy, BTW), I used the money to buy the SE last year.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I used to buy them from BBV by the dozens, but I have only bought 'Training Day' (a snapper) since they started using their own ugly cases for all amaray cases. bleegghh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks