Blockbuster and full screen movies....why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I went to Blockbuster a couple of weeks ago and was interested in picking up Blood Work with Clint Eastwood and realized every copy they had was full screen. I asked one of the employees why they only offer full screen and no wide screen. He had no answer for me, and I passed knowing full screen was all I could get. This weekend I was interested in Bourne Identity, but of course it was out. I checked to see if it was in the bin.....and surprisingly there was one copy available. What luck!!! I was excited at my good fortune only to get home and find out it was freaking full screen! Not only was it full screen, but the menu and previews were wide screen!!! Needless to say I was pissed!!! I returned the movie Sunday morning determined to get to the bottom of this. I asked the high school kid that worked there who was in charge of ordering the movies and he asked why. I told him that I was tired of attempting to rent the new releases and have them be all full screen. If this kept up I was going to take my business elsewhere (which I am sure had Blockbuster quaking in their boots). He told me that it wouldn't matter where I went because the movie industry decides what copies they send out.

What I want to know, is this true? Are we all being held hostage by what the industry wants us to see? I almost feel like this is censorship. Why should I watch what they want me to watch? It's almost like getting a book with pages torn out. This really pisses me off, and I need help from my fellow movie renters. Is there anywhere one can turn to actually have a choice, or are we all aspect:ratio censored?

Thanks for listening,

Jason
    p.s. I am stilled pissed! [​IMG]

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Are we all being held hostage by what the industry wants us to see?

In some cases yes. Sometimes a studio just won't release a movie in anything but P&S.

But in the case of the movies you are talking about, this is certainly not the case. The decision on whether or offer Fullscreen or Widescreen is entirely Blockbusters in this regard. Netflix and Hollywood Video usually offer widescreen versions of the films in question.

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

It's not the movie industry who decides what gets stocked at Blockbuster. It's Blockbuster headquarters that makes that decision. In other words, the manager at the local shop isn't making inventory decisions. It's all done on the corporate level. You can complain to the manager and that might get passed along to corporate, but I doubt the managers even care.

That's why I don't go there anymore. I have a mom & pop video store that's a good 5 miles farther away from Blockbuster, but I'll make the extra time to go there instead because they stock widescreen.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

When Blockbuster first started carrying DVDs, they only had full screen. The HT community went into an uproar. I signed several petitions stating that the public wants widescreen, but they never listened. Too bad for them.

I think it boils down to the majority of the public has no clue about fullscreen/widescreen. Many people barely know how to work a VCR. So when they get a movie home and see the big black bars, they think that they are being cheated. It would cause a big uproar in the store to why half the screen was black. It is just easier for Blockbuster to ignore the problem.

6. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Well for what it's worth, I won't rent any more movies from them.

Jason

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I can't figure out why they can't offer both? I have one outlet of a local chain near me that stocks both FS and WS for rental so everyone can be happy. And fortunately, the local Movie Gallery has switched to all WS on most releases, so renting WS isn't a problem around here at the moment.

The first Blockbuster will also open within a month or so. It'll be interesting to see which way they go.

8. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I haven't rented from Blockbuster since the advent of DVD. In late '98 I went into the local Blockbuster and asked if they would be renting DVD in the near future. The kid behind the counter called the manager. The manager said that they had no plans to ever carry DVD because "it is simply a niche product". The Hollywood video down the street began renting in '99 and has had my business ever since then.

Sadly there is a Mom & Pop store only a few miles from my house. However, they refuse to carry widescreen so I drive 15 minutes out of my way to rent at Hollywood.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I have 2 Blockbuster's near me. Both carry a HUGE selection of widescreen movies. I'm never disappointed.

10. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Ponders the drive from MI to MS.......

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

My BB is also Full Screen only for new releases. I drive an extra 8 miles RT to rent from Hollywood.

12. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I asked the FS vs WS question also
    the answer I got was that block buster is getting what the majority of their customers want and the guy I was talking to also only like widesceen movies, it was really funny that if i wanted to buy the movie, I could buy the widescreen version at blockbuster, just could not rent it

13. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

14. StuartEWatson

StuartEWatson Auditioning

Stu
    Hello All,

Thought I'd share a reply I received from "Blockbuster Corp" as to my own question "WHY" they have quite stocking wide-screen versions on many new DVD releases. After reading the forums here I decided to send an e-mail to their corp. office. Here's what they had to say...

Thank you for your e-mail. Customer feedback is very important to us
    and we are
    glad you took the time to write.

The movie studios determine whether or not to release their DVDs in
    standard
    (full-screen) or wide-screen versions. It is our preference, and the
    preference
    of our customers that because of the versatility and storage capacity
    of DVD
    technology, DVDs include both versions on one disc. In the past, when
    the
    studios have chosen to release separate standard and wide-screen
    version DVDs,
    it has caused confusion amongst our customers. To minimize our
    customer
    dissatisfaction, we have chosen to carry only one version of a title on
    DVD, and
    our research has shown that more customers prefer the standard than the
    wide-screen version. We take your comments and suggestions as a welcome
    show of
    interest and loyalty. We are forwarding your comments to the
    appropriate
    department for their review.

At Blockbuster, we realize that nothing is more important than our
    members are
    and we value your good will and continued support. Thank you for your
    interest
    in Blockbuster. If you need further assistance, please contact your
    local
    Blockbuster store.

Sincerely,
    Blockbuster Consumer Services

So there is is...for what it's worth. I'm hearing that because too many people don't know how to READ the bottom or back of a DVD case and mistakenly grab the wrong version "for them" , they then complain to Blockbuster for displaying the movies in a confusing way. Thus the Blockbuster solution is, we'll just take away your options if it's that confusing to Joe Blow customer!
    I don't know what else to say...perhaps if MORE people e-mailed their displeasure at this policy it could be changed. It seems that their current policy is a direct result of customer feedback. If it's important to us then we need to do the same! IMHO! [​IMG]

Good luck to all!

Stuart

btw - here is the e-mail address if you'd like to express your thoughts and feelings about this issue and policy.

[email protected] [​IMG]

15. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

16. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

17. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"When Blockbuster first started carrying DVDs, they only had full screen."

That was one of the reasons I stopped renting from BB, the other was their insistance that DVD NOT be a sell thru product.

Everybody remember that??

Brent

The famed "rental window"