Blockbuster again bullying the DVD industry-this time about menus

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis_W, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

From Davis DVD:

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I think the original article at Video Business described this better:

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

[​IMG]

All Blockbuster is concerned about is their business. They must realize that DVD is not their format, and they can't be in control of it! Same goes for Wal-Mart.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Amazing thing is, guys, that all these stores
    have managed to influence the industry.

Look what happened when stores like Walmart
    threatened to stop carrying widescreen DVD titles.

5. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

If Blockbuster's intention is to rent a 2 disc set
    in seperate cases and charge more money for one
    special edition, they are just doing it for a
    money grab. Some of us DVD collectors base their purchases
    through renting to see if we like the film and features.
    If rental stores are going to start taking more money
    and become user-unfriendly, we might as well start
    blind-buying and not give our money to them. What will
    these stores do when they want to sell these 2 disc sets
    as previously viewed? Will they sell these in seperate
    cases and throw out the original packaging? [​IMG]

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I can't imagine that the average Blockbuster customer would be willing to spend extra money for a bonus features disc. I also don't see how the extra money could be worth the hassle this would create.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As respectful as I am of Mr. Prior's ideas on BBV's motivations for this instruction, I think there's a different reason that we might want to consider.

BBV is concerned about renting out multi-disc sets and not getting both discs back. It's difficult in a mass-market retailer (or rentailer) environment to hire a staff at near-minimum-wage prices that is also responsible enough to make sure that everything came back the way it should.

BBV surely realizes (I hope!) that the average consumer isn't going to essentially pay twice the rental fee just to get the supplement disc for Daredevil. Especially when they can own it for $10-$15 at places like Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.

Surely BBV also realizes that in situations like Gangs of New York, folks are going to yell and scream when they get the first disc home (the only one they think they'll need), and then find out they need a second disc...at the stadard rental fee, of course.

No, a possible motivation is that they just don't want to have to keep up with the 2nd disc at all, rental-wise, but they don't want customers coming in and complaining that they KNOW that BBV should have provided a second disc for the rental of this title, because the menu of the first disc refers to it.

8. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I have not walked into a Blockbuster in 15 years...ever since they tried to get 95 bucks from me on a unreturned tape. I HAD returned it. Thank God it was a title they only had one copy of...it was on the shelf. I asked how do i prove it if it had been a 100 count new title. They didn't have an answer, but they sure were willing to burn me for something that was THEIR fault. I know this isn't the point of the thread...but Blockbuster just seemed to forget about the little guy a long time ago...Anyway, sorry to go off topic, i just wanted to Blockbuster BASH. I always buy...never rent, and if its a title i don't like...i sell it on the used market.

9. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

10. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    DVD-18 would solve this problem.

Neil

12. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yes, you forgot music- Wal-Mart won't carry any albums that have the Parental Advisory warnings on them (but they DO carry less harmful items like guns and cigarettes!), so the record labels put out edited versions to satisfy them.
    I demand there be no more 2-disc sets on anything that could have used a DVD-18 instead. I also demand that movies start immediately when I hit the Play button on my machine, I don't want to see any stupid menus unless I hit the Menu button. I don't want any "bonus material" that I personally don't find interesting on any disc either. My demands should be as good as Wal-Mart's- have the people from the studios ever BEEN to their stores?? I went to one last week to buy some blank DVDs and it was a very surreal experience! Plus they do put out new discs before street date, which studios are supposed to get upset about.
    Oh wait- this thread was about Blockbuster, right? I didn't know they were still around. [​IMG]

15. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

If the studios would grow a pair it would also solve the problem. The studios simply need to lay down the law that this is our product and we'll present it however we decide to present it. Home video is so popular that NO ONE, not even Wal-Mart, would suddenly remove all the movies from stores if they were in widescreen only, or Blockbuster if the 2-disc sets are linked by menus.

Where else are Wal-Mart and Blockbuster going to get movies if not from Hollywood? And if they don't carry what Hollywood is offering, then people can go to other places than Wal-Mart to buy DVD's and Blockbuster can simply go out of business.

17. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

18. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

19. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    On the other hand I kind of like this idea. I personally find it very annoying when I click on the special features listing on the menu and then have to wait 10 seconds for a screen to come up, telling me that the special features are on the other disc.

I mean, if the theatrical trailer is on disc 2 then why the hell should the menu on disc 1 have a listing for it?

20. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think that if I were a studio I'd run a special batch just for BB, and put half of the extra features on disk one, just so that the movie would be split onto both disks.

Of course, I'd never make up new labels, and BB would have to deal with all of the irate customers that brought it back saying that they didn't see all of the movie! BB would have to cough it up, but in the meantime any other rental outlets (that would have the whole movie on one and the extras on 2), might get more business.

Glenn