What's new

block buster DVD and home movie (DVD-R) (1 Viewer)

patrick_tran

Auditioning
Hi, I am newbie to DVD format so please help me to understand the different between Block Buster DVD movie disc and home transfer DVD-R, or DVD+R disc.

I am currently have the first generation DVD player which can play all the DVD movie from Block Buster but when I try to play my friend homemade movie on DVD-R disc or DVD+R disc the player can not recognize the disc. Is there something I need to do to upgrade my DVD player or should my friend change the format so it can compatible with my DVD player?

NOTE: his DVD-R disc can play on new DVD player

Many Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Some DVD players do not recognize any types of writable media. Manufactured DVDs (like from Blockbuster) are replicated and manufactured- they are not "burnt" copies.

My DVD does play DVD-R but cannot recognize CD-R for example.

So, it's just how the player laser works. There is nothing you can do about it- short of buying a new player.

-V

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Vince Maskeeper is correct. It's just how your player was made. My player can play pretty much everything but it cost $300.

Since your player is "old" (lol) the technology was not that far along to let people burn there own CD's DVD's.

patrick_tran

Auditioning
Thanks for giving me some knowledge in DVD, My DVD player is old APEX 600A but flashing back 1 year ago it can play my friend wedding DVD which was burned and encoded in MPEG-2 that was made by Video arts in new york, Should the old DVD player compatible with 3.9GB media rather than 4.7 GB media or the encoding process???

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I was looking into burning home-movies into SVCD format a while back. If you go to VCD HELP you will find some DVD players are more "touchy" than others when it comes to CD-R/RW, even though they may be designed to play writable media. I've had problems with CD's burned with one application and not another.
VCDHELP has a pretty comprehensive list of DVD players and what they will and will not play and also member reviews of each.
If it is indeed a DVD-R.. that might be a whole new ball of wax as far as playability.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Apex 600A will play the "pro" version of DVD-R that runs around $30 a disc (which is probably what the wedding video is on). I haven't tried the consumer DVD-R format on it, but that's probably your problem.

patrick_tran

Auditioning
Hi Jeff,

Could you shed some lights about the PRO & Consumer DVD-R?

Are there a big different in burn process or it's in the Disc itself?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The professional version is a slightly different format, and is used in authoring DVDs for manufacture. The discs look silver, and they do not have the copy protection zones zeroed out so that they can't be used. The drives for that run around $2000, and the discs $30 apiece (making pirating on them a waste of time)

patrick_tran

Auditioning
Jeff,

Are you living in havertown PA? I'm living in Boothwyn,PA not too far away from you. Anyway, thanks for giving me a lesson about DVD. By chance, do you know what is the name of the drive and who is the manufacture??? and is the PRO VDV disc usually called as Authoring DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks