blinking power LED; Sony kdfe55a20

Discussion in 'Displays' started by brandon_, May 25, 2006.

1. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

just turned on my TV today and noticed that the Power LED blinked 10 times and remained on at the 11th blink. I am assuming this is not a good thing, as it didnt do it when i first got it 3 weeks ago. anyone know whats up?

2. Jay_Via

Jay_Via Stunt Coordinator

my 60" blinks numerous times when it comes on....i dont know exactly how many, but i know its several. Check your manual?

3. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

manual is worthless. they direct you to call sony.

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You didn't say if the set works after the blinking stops or if it stays dead. If the set works, then there could be diagnostic codes being stored for a non critical problem. It could be cablecard related diagnostics (even with no card) which could be a problem with your cable company, not the TV.

If the set is still off, then service will obviously be required.

The exact pattern of blinking sometimes has meaning also.

5. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

tv stays on. seems to be normal.

6. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Brandon, the # of blinks do indicate the service area. Call Sony or go to Agoraquest forum and research your model.

There was a 6 blink issue with your 55” (not the 60 - this same model line) which was a thermocoupling fuse needing replacement, in all units built during a 2005 window sold from 2005 through 1st of 2006. Display would not work with that one, and 6...so thats not your issue.
    Agor...with some search time might indicate what 10 blinks is associated with, and if immediate attention is desirable.

7. Jay_Via

OP, my 60" blinks 10 times when it comes on.

8. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

how long have you had your tv, jay? has it been blinking like that for a while?

9. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

When you turn the set "on", the LED starts blinking. This indicates that the CPU is active and is waiting for feedback from all of the sensors and various circuits (including lamp, fans, cablecard, etc). Once all of the circuits "check in" with the microprocessor, it will allow the set to come on and the LED will stay lit.

In the "Applications" section of the Menu is a "Diagnostics" selection. This is where you would look if you suspect a problem.

As the set ages the lamp will take longer to strike and reach full brightness. Your cablecard may be waiting for data from the cable company (if applicable). These are some of the unimportant things that can delay turn on.

Unless there is something noted in the diagnostics menu, your situation seems normal.

10. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

that could be it. i didnt notice it until we got Dish network installed. perhaps it is waiting for info from the receiver.

11. Jay_Via

OP, my tv is about 10 months old. Been doing that as long as i can remember